UFC announces Hughes vs. Gracie - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

UFC announces Hughes vs. Gracie

Holy shit! Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes in May. This is the biggest fight in UFC in my opinion. The two greatest champions from two different eras meet in the octagon. Will it be another Franklin vs. Shamrock where the young buck puts the smack down......or will Gracie prevail. What Gracie said was classic. "This is my house.....I built it."

I love lamp....

03 Black GT Convert. w/style bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

I think Matt will GnP'd his ass to a TKO win to be honest. However, I'd laugh my ass off and not be disappointed if Royce tapped his ass out.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Foxaholic

How old is Gracie now? I used to watch all the old Gracie fights. That dude would take an enormous beating on the ground and then seconds later have the other fighter tapping like his dick was getting ripped off.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

If Hughes wins......his legacy in the UFC will last forever. Its a pinnicle match for him, to say the least. He's gonna have a tough year. Not only does he square off with Gracie....he'll have to fight the winner of the St. Pierre/Penn fight. If Penn wins then it will be a mental battle for Hughes to step into the octagon with him after being humiliated the first time they fought. Its going to be a year of metal toughness for Hughes.

I love lamp....

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Lifer

I believe Hughes will win, but I also think Royce will surprise the folks who expect Hughes to roll right through him.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

I was looking on the UFC homepage.....two fights didnt happen last night. The Jason Von Flue fight and the Melvin Gulliard fight.

I love lamp....

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
St Pierre is the new Van Damm he is badass, and could take out Chuck Norris anytime. I'd like to see Matt Hughs and St. Pierre but I know Hughs will get him on the matt and tap him out.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTGUY
I was looking on the UFC homepage.....two fights didnt happen last night. The Jason Von Flue fight and the Melvin Gulliard fight.
I know that Jason Von Flue won his fight (untelevised), not sure about the other one. I can't get on Sherdog at work to find out.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX21
St Pierre is the new Van Damm he is badass, and could take out Chuck Norris anytime. I'd like to see Matt Hughs and St. Pierre but I know Hughs will get him on the matt and tap him out.
That's what he did the first time.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
JVF won and Melvin lost. I posted the results in the other UFN thread started by Wario last night.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX21
Yep. Rear naked choke

I love lamp....

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra
JVF won and Melvin lost. I posted the results in the other UFN thread started by Wario last night.

I really like JVF. That dude has a good attidude and alot of heart. I hate Melvin on the otherhand.....glad he lost

I love lamp....

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen
That's what he did the first time.
If GSP ever gets the opportunity to fight Hughes again, I think it will go differently. GSP has become a better fighter and I would expect him to win in the rematch. However, a lot of things have to happen first. GSP has to get past BJ which will be a great fight.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
If GSP ever gets the opportunity to fight Hughes again, I think it will go differently. GSP has become a better fighter and I would expect him to win in the rematch. However, a lot of things have to happen first. GSP has to get past BJ which will be a great fight.

Do you think Hughes took the Gracie fight to dodge GSP/Penn for as long as possible?

I love lamp....

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Do you think Hughes took the Gracie fight to dodge GSP/Penn for as long as possible?
Nahh. I think that Dana is milking the SHIT out of the WW division right now. First Hughes was supposed to fight Karo Parisyan last fall. Karo gets hurt in training and Hughes gets fed Joe Riggs. Riggs didn't deserve the title shot. Save GSP to build him up. Then they bring back Penn and set him to fight GSP. More buildup (assuming GSP wins). Set Matt to fight Royce (Dana expects Matt to win this) and build up the potential GSP fight some more. W/the Hughes fight set for May, there won't be a Hughes Vs. Penn/GSP until sometime later this summer.

So WTF happened to Karo?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Nahh. I think that Dana is milking the SHIT out of the WW division right now. First Hughes was supposed to fight Karo Parisyan last fall. Karo gets hurt in training and Hughes gets fed Joe Riggs. Riggs didn't deserve the title shot. Save GSP to build him up. Then they bring back Penn and set him to fight GSP. More buildup (assuming GSP wins). Set Matt to fight Royce (Dana expects Matt to win this) and build up the potential GSP fight some more. W/the Hughes fight set for May, there won't be a Hughes Vs. Penn/GSP until sometime later this summer.

So WTF happened to Karo?

My thoughts were that Hughes was offered the Gracie fight and took it, like I said....to dodge the winner of St. Pierre/Penn for as long as possible. GPS is a complete animal and is unbeatable right now. Penn humiliated Hughes when they fought so it makes sense for Hughes to take a flashy match he will probably win to put off the title defense. If Hughes wasnt fighting Gracie, the winner would take the title fight the next day if they could.

I love lamp....

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Your Daddy

Hughes doesnt dodge anyone... I've heard rumors of Royce vs Hughes for months now. Glad they finally signed it. They just cant have Hughes sit around until the Penn-GSP fight. Hell they dont make much money as it is and they dont get paid unless they fight. Plus this is GREAT business for UFC. How many of the common people remember Royce? when someone mentions ufc that is usually the first name they bring up. (Gracie). What better way to market your champ especially after he beats Royce down.

Royce fought on new years in Japan. He fought a guy from the 145 lb class. It went to a draw but under regular rules, Royce would have lost. There is a badass K1 Dynamite 2005 highlight floating around. Do a search for it or I will post it up later and you will see Royce getting schooled.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Your Daddy

Royce started this thread, check it out.

http://www.mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?ac=L...0&FID=1&pc=154
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:29 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad89stang
How old is Gracie now? I used to watch all the old Gracie fights. That dude would take an enormous beating on the ground and then seconds later have the other fighter tapping like his dick was getting ripped off.

That's one of the great things about BJJ, they age much better then typical fighters. Helio fought a 4 hour match when he was 67.

I agree that if Matt wins it will confirm his place in the UFC legendary status. But something smells of the WWE with this to me. I dunno, maybe being burning by pro boxing to many times has made me too cynical. I'm a big Hughes fan. There is no way he is ducking anyone. The guy has an unbelievable work ethic but this wil defeintely be a big test for him as long as the fight is on the up and up.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Fear the Stashe

wow...ufc mus be desperate..lets bring out the old people and see if they have any tank in em...ala Shamrocks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Your Daddy

its called BUILDING NEW STARS. good business practice if you ask me. Instant credibility if they win, and if they lose it wont hurt too bad considering they lost to a legend.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
its called BUILDING NEW STARS. good business practice if you ask me. Instant credibility if they win, and if they lose it wont hurt too bad considering they lost to a legend.
how much money do these guys earn? do you know?

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
how much money do these guys earn? do you know?
Who specifically? The top tier fights a la Chuck Liddell can earn as much as $250K for one fight. The lower tier fighters may only make $4-5K. Pretty much all fighers contracts have incentives built in for KO wins which a lot of the time doubles their earning potential for each fight.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Matt Hughes didnt look really enthused about the fight during the announcement to me.

If you want to do some reading on the salaries here is a pretty good article....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=1164&zoneid=1
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric357
Matt Hughes didnt look really enthused about the fight during the announcement to me.

If you want to do some reading on the salaries here is a pretty good article....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=1164&zoneid=1

Because Matt knows it's the fight that will define his reign as a Champion.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 PM

There is no "legacy" to be had for Hughes other than beating an over the hill legend. And it will not define his reign as a champion...only for beating has beens.

That being said Hughes will win as this is pointless as he is fighting an old man and youth will prevail at this point...but if they had fought when Gracie was in his prime it would have been no contest for Gracie.

The UFC desperately needs a solidified champion to make it interesting and have rallied around Hughes and will structure the fight sequence to his advantage. He will duck around having to go against Penn or GSP again as long as possible.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcharger440
There is no "legacy" to be had for Hughes other than beating an over the hill legend. And it will not define his reign as a champion...only for beating has beens.

That being said Hughes will win as this is pointless as he is fighting an old man and youth will prevail at this point...but if they had fought when Gracie was in his prime it would have been no contest for Gracie.

The UFC desperately needs a solidified champion to make it interesting and have rallied around Hughes and will structure the fight sequence to his advantage. He will duck around having to go against Penn or GSP again as long as possible.
You're an idiot. He's never ducked anybody, they can't duck anyone in the UFC. This isnt' boxing where the fighters have a say in who they fight. UFC tells them who they fight because they are ALL under contract to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement