Int. or Incomplete? - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Interception or Incomplete Pass?
Interception, without a doubt. 24 82.76%
Incomplete, and please see why below. 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Int. or Incomplete?

If you watched anything about the Steelers/Colts game yesterday, you know what I'm referring to.

The always vocal Joey Porter had a few words to say about it as well:

'We dominated the whole game -- till the referees wanted to help them,' Porter said.

The outspoken linebacker, who challenged the Colts' toughness in the days leading up to the game, did not stop there.

'I couldn't believe they were going to try to cheat us like that, for real,' Porter said. 'That was my thing. After we made that play (the near-interception), I thought the game was over. ... I'm going to get in trouble for it, I already know I'm going to get in trouble for it, but I'm ready to pay (the fine) anyway, because that's how mad I was with the refs out there. That was the worst I've ever been a part of. When you play in games, you feel (sometimes) like it might not be going your way. But that was cheatin' right there, man.'

Referee Pete Morelli had a different view of things.

'I had the defender catching the ball,' Morelli said in a statement. 'Before he got up, he hit it with his leg, with his other leg still on the ground. Therefore, he did not complete the catch.'

Porter's response?

'C'mon, y'all seen it, man,' he said. 'What do we gotta do to make an interception? He caught the ball, rolled on the ground, got up and knocked the ball out of his hand with his knee. How can you say that's not an interception?

'It was just one of those games, the world wanted Indy to win so bad, they were going to do whatever they could. It was like the 9/11 year when they wanted the Patriots (who beat the Steelers in the AFC final) to win it for the world, just for the patriotic of the world. That's what they wanted for Indy today. They wanted (quarterback Peyton Manning) to win that game no matter what happened. They want him to win that game and they were going to give him all the opportunities to win it.'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Fear the Stashe

refs and god couldnt even save the colts yesterday...

I bet Colts fans were disgusted with the officiating...seriously all those breaks and they still couldnt win..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Does it really matter now? Steelers won. Get over the bad call. Feel fourtunate it didn't cost you the game.

Porter needs to shut his mouth because he is looking like a little bitch with his comments the past 2 weeks. If he can't handle Peyton, or any other QB for that matter, walking up to the line and changing the play because the 'D' scheme is so obvious then he needs to sit on the bench and shut the fuck up.

Last edited by SVTVenom; 01-16-2006 at 10:16 AM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Lifer

Colts played a sloppy game...and they lost.

Steelers deserves to win...and they did.

My number 1 wish came thru when Denver beated NE.
Number 2 wish didn't come thru when Colts lost...oh well...

"...no matter how good you are...you aint jack unless you get off your fat ass and do some work..."
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Lifer

I'm a colts fan and that was a interception....
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Porter must have forgot the 4 and 2 where his team committed a false start but were allowed to "redo" the down and got the first down.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Genetically Blessed

it was a pick.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Porter must have forgot the 4 and 2 where his team committed a false start but were allowed to "redo" the down and got the first down.
Yeah maybe, but if you watched the game you know it did look a little one sided

Working on my project Stang
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I'm sure he probably didn't forget the blatant pass interference call that was strangely not thrown when Randle El was back for the pass.

Overall, was just a poorly officiated game.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Porter needs to shut his mouth because he is looking like a little bitch with his comments the past 2 weeks.

Well at first when he said all that stuff prior to the game, i felt it was kind if idiotic...
But he backed it up and i respect him now....

It's funny now because he's blaming the refs and the NFL wanting the Colts to win and i agree..

Quote:
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Even the Edmonton Journal wrote about it:

Big Brother is watching, and he has a whistle
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * John MacKinnon, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Monday, January 16, 2006
Okay, I'm willing to concede that referees should let the players decide the outcomes, particularly of playoff games.

But I'm not a fanatic on this. I'm sure you're not, either. Yes, it's a good policy, but a hard and fast rule? Too rigid.

What's more, I was heartened to learn the NFL isn't dogmatic on this matter, either. Case in point: that Pittsburgh-

Indianapolis playoff game on Sunday. That game was a boring, one-sided butt-whipping, right up until about the last five minutes -- 5:26 remaining, to be exact -- when Troy Polamalu dove to intercept a Peyton Manning pass. Picked it clean as you please, he did.

Game over. Or so millions of football fans thought, trapped as they are in their unoriginality. But not referee Pete Morelli. In a bit of "thinking-outside-the-box" brilliance, Morelli went under the hood, eyeballed the replays, examined his conscience and made a bold decision, all for the love of the game. Incomplete pass, he ruled.

Horrible call! Absolutely the worst possible call, 180 degrees wrong from head to toe, front and centre, inside and out, to the end of time as we know it. Not a whisper of a hint of a clue of a doubt about it. But there it was.

And suddenly, a football game broke out! It was end-to-end with reversals of fortune, goats becoming heroes, heroes turning to goats. The thrill of victory morphed into the agony of defeat and back again. And again. All in the space of the last five minutes.

And all because of the creative foresight of the referee Morelli. True, if fairness, adherence to the rules and common sense had prevailed, millions of people could have gotten on with their so-called lives a few minutes earlier.

But you have to figure the TV rating soared through the roof when things turned surreal. Which may have been on Morelli's mind. Or not. He certainly couldn't have been thinking he'd just make that call to give Ol' Peyton one more shot at the Super Bowl in the interests of TV ratings for that event? Could he?

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but that very thought certainly popped into my head as the extraordinary scene unfolded.

Either that or Morelli's brain was hooked up to an interactive computer game in which fans were voting electronically for the incomplete pass option on their consoles.

It was absolutely incredible! Video replay is meant to be a technological safety net, a pathway to the correct call, not a portal to fantasy. Thankfully,

Pittsburgh won and justice was served, and all Morelli's wrong call did was juice up the entertainment value, not hijack the final result.

No harm, no foul, eh?

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0492b7&k=22409

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Yeah, I guess the President of the NFL buzzed him in his earpiece and told him to reverse the call.

Again, its done and over with. The Steelers won and have to now go to Mile High Denver. Good luck, 'cause you are gonna need it.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Yeah, I guess the President of the NFL buzzed him in his earpiece and told him to reverse the call.

Again, its done and over with. The Steelers won and have to now go to Mile High Denver. Good luck, 'cause you are gonna need it.
I don't see why you're not upset with it - regardless of the outcome.

The fact that the Steelers won still doesn't excuse the fact that it was one of the worst calls made.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:24 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
I don't see why you're not upset with it - regardless of the outcome.

The fact that the Steelers won still doesn't excuse the fact that it was one of the worst calls made.
No, I've just learned that you can't leave anything in the hands of the refs. Make sure everything you do is definative and without question and you won't have a problem.

Totally unrelated to the NFL, but the place I learned this was watching the Ultimate Fighter on Spike. Several of the fights seemed to be won by one fighter, but when they went the distance and went to the judges......they saw it totally different and the outcome wasn't what I, or anyone else, had expected.

T.P. was rolling around on the ground, ball ended up coming out. If he would have held onto it and came to a stop after contact then there wouldn't have been any question and no replay challenge. Its not a perfect system and never will be. Count your blessings and move on.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
I'm sure he probably didn't forget the blatant pass interference call that was strangely not thrown when Randle El was back for the pass.

Overall, was just a poorly officiated game.
I think that may have been even worse than the interception/incomplete ruling. At least for the interception they made up some kind of excuse with his knee being down. The refs just didn't even give notice to Randle El being tripped/shoved to the ground.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Recovering Lush

Manning is the Danny White of the 2000s. Choke artist.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Now I'm over it:

NEW YORK -- The NFL said the referee made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball.

The league acknowledged Monday that referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have upheld the call, made with 5:26 left in Pittsburgh's win over the Colts.

After the reversal, the Colts went on to score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion, cutting the Steelers' 21-10 lead to 21-18. That led to a wild final few minutes and Pittsburgh clinched its win only when the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field-goal attempt.

On the play, Polamalu made a diving catch of Manning's pass, tumbled with it in his hands and got up to run. When he did, he fumbled the ball, then recovered. Colts coach Tony Dungy challenged and Morelli ruled Polamalu had not completed the catch.

About a dozen TV and scoreboard replays indicated otherwise. Had the call stood, the Steelers would have had the ball at their own 48 with an 11-point lead.

"The definition of a catch -- or in this case an interception -- states that in the process of making a catch a player must maintain possession of the ball after he contacts the ground," Pereira said.

"The initial call on the field was that Troy Polamalu intercepted the pass because he maintained possession of the ball after hitting the ground. The replay showed that Polamalu had rolled over and was rising to his feet when the ball came loose. He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch. Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble.

"The rule regarding the performing of an act common to the game applies when there is contact with a defensive player and the ball comes loose, which did not happen here."

The NFL almost never makes public the result of its reviews, although it did three years ago, when Pereira said officials should have called pass interference against San Francisco on the final play of a wild-card game with the New York Giants. The correct call would have given New York a second chance to kick a game-winning field goal in a 39-38 loss.

After the game, Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter said of the ruling:

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game; the whole world loves Peyton Manning. But come on, man, don't take the game away from us like that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello had no comment on Porter's statement.

In the past, players who have made such statements have been subject to fines.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2294309

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Joey Porter should be fined for his comments. If he was that upset he should have gone through the proper channels. It should make no difference if he was right or not, you don't talk about the officials and the calls in the game no matter how bad/wrong they are.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Joey Porter should be fined for his comments. If he was that upset he should have gone through the proper channels. It should make no difference if he was right or not, you don't talk about the officials and the calls in the game no matter how bad/wrong they are.
I'm not arguing that fact, and I'm sure one will be issued by Wednesday.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Bullshit. If the refs make a bad call they should be fined. I don't understand this getting fined for talking about the refs fucking up. Why can't a nfl player speak their mind about what happened during a game? If the refs are making bad calls they need to be called out on it. NFL rules are so rediculous it's absurd. Fuck The No Fun League.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Very Thankful!

There was an intererception.
I just VERY glad that that didn't cost them the game.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Fear the Stashe

oh looky here..NFL admits refs were wrong...They should just admit Porter was right also...

Quote:
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:05 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced 35th
Bullshit. If the refs make a bad call they should be fined. I don't understand this getting fined for talking about the refs fucking up. Why can't a nfl player speak their mind about what happened during a game? If the refs are making bad calls they need to be called out on it. NFL rules are so rediculous it's absurd. Fuck The No Fun League.
Well, next time your boss is wrong about something at work, shove it in his face and see what happens.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, next time your boss is wrong about something at work, shove it in his face and see what happens.
Well since i'm the boss, I don't think anything would happen

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Genetically Blessed

nfl admits crucial mistake

porter will not be finded for comments.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
porter will not be finded for comments.
good, cause the refs need to hear all the comments and take responsibility for there fuck up...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I don't agree.

I think he should be fined.. something small - nothing major... $5k or so.

All they did with not fining Joey was open themselves up for tons of players doing the exact same thing.

There needs to be some kind of penalty on both sides of the ball. The ref needs to only work his day job, and never referee an NFL game again, and Porter needs to be fined.

The fact that Porter wasn't fined, leads me to believe that nothing will happen to the referee either, which is just beyond pathetic in my book.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
I don't agree.

I think he should be fined.. something small - nothing major... $5k or so.

All they did with not fining Joey was open themselves up for tons of players doing the exact same thing.

There needs to be some kind of penalty on both sides of the ball. The ref needs to only work his day job, and never referee an NFL game again, and Porter needs to be fined.

The fact that Porter wasn't fined, leads me to believe that nothing will happen to the referee either, which is just beyond pathetic in my book.
I agree that Porter should be fined, but I don't agree with the ref losing his job. Repremanded and maybe relegated to non-playoff games, but not lose his job.

As you said, the NFL has opened themselves up to player riddicule of refs calls in any game now.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
I agree that Porter should be fined, but I don't agree with the ref losing his job. Repremanded and maybe relegated to non-playoff games, but not lose his job.

As you said, the NFL has opened themselves up to player riddicule of refs calls in any game now.
If it was just one call that he screwed up, I wouldn't be asking for his job... even if that one call was the HUGE call on the Int. Fact of the matter is, there was just horrible officating all around. I wouldn't want that kind officiating even in regular season games.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:

ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement