Originally Posted by Hollywood
I think it's stupid.
Bullriders think you are stupidier
(note: for newbs, yes, that is correct spelling on DFWStangs).
I rode a few bulls when I was younger. Didn't do it to:
1. Impress the chicks - my girlfriend for most of my bullriding time hated it. In fact never saw me ride.
2. To show off - many times it was only other bullriders. Hard to "show off" to someone who has done it.
3. Fame/money - many times I paid them to ride and there wasn't any purse.
4. Extremely brave - any bullrider that tells you he isn't scared shitless each and everytime is lying.
5. Fucking crazy - I'll buy that.
Obviously I cannot explain the "whys" to anyone that thinks it's stupid. You just don't have the correct mindset. I can tell you that the feeling of sitting on top the bull with your hand tied to its back is unlike any other feeling in the world. At some point it becomes like heroin, the feeling is addicting.
Nothing like being at the arena when its 60 degrees outside and you are cold as hell and when you climb up on the bull you immediately start sweating your ass off. It's the longest 8 seconds you'll ever experience.
Worst accident was when a bull who generally broke to the right out of the chute decided to throw a changeup and break left. My ass still acted like he was going to break right. I went under the bull and my hand got locked in the rope.
The bull stepped on my chest which immediately freed up my hand.