For all the Aggies... I will never forget. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Back To Normal

Unhappy For all the Aggies... I will never forget.

I was milling around on one of the Aggie boards to see what they were talking about over there due to the big game coming up.

I then ran across the thread "*** BONFIRE (Remember) ***" with the attached video in it.

http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/Vid...memberence.wmv

After watching that video a flood of emotions rushed quickly to the surface. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Since I was at Tech at the time and a few of my best friends were at A&M I called all of them as soon as I found out what happened because I knew that a few of them were actively participating in the building of bonfire (when I say actively I mean every night). I finally got in touch with one friend I was particularly concerned about because he was one of the active parties previously mentioned. At which point he told me that he was O.K. because he stayed in due to a test he had to cram for. Unfortunately, Michael Ebanks a very bright, promising kid that I had known in High School was caught in the stack and ended up passing away.

Michael had become better friends with my best buddies while they were in school together. He and my friend that had to cram for the test were supposed to go work on bonfire that night but because of the test he decided to stay home at the last minute while Michael went on without him. Who ever thought someone could say a test saved their life.

I mainly wanted to post the video in case some of you have never seen it. My prayers go out to all the families, friends and loved ones affected by that tragedy.

-Justin

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:29 PM
M0DERAT0R

R.i.p

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Time Served

very sad r.i.p.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM
P1

very sad....have they brought that thing back yet....you know with the supervision of some engineers and stuff

Oh! A phoneg is ringin....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Back To Normal

There is an off campus bonfire that the Aggies hold without any ties to the university. I doubt it will ever be back on campus though. They have erected a memorial where the bonfire was burnt for years.

I could be wrong though. If there is an Aggie that knows more please chime in.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I will never forget that day. That was the worst/best week of my life. The night that bonfire was supposed to burn was the most amazing experience anyone could ever witness. An estimated 70,000 people went to the site at Dawn, all carrying lit candles. At 8, all 70,000 walked across campus to Kyle Field for Yell Practice. I didn't think I'd be able to bring myself to yell that night, and yet I've never yelled so loud in my life. Just seeing Kyle Field 80-90% Full for Yell should just tell you what it meant to us all. (see pic in link)
http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/Agg...remony1999.jpg

Next time anyone is near College Station, no matter what you're feelings for the school are, I implore you to visit the Bonfire Memorial. Read all twelve biographies of the fallen, and you'll feel like you just meet 12 friends.

The effect it had on this Great State was huge. I have such respect for those ol' t-sips for everything they did to help us in our greef. The Longhorn Band showed real class with their Halftime show at the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo'syellow4.6
very sad....have they brought that thing back yet....you know with the supervision of some engineers and stuff
Students have Successfully had off campus Bonfire since 2001 with the all OSHA safety regulations. I went to the 2001, 2002, and 2003 Bonfire's. While it's not the same having to park, and walk out in BFE, it still brings the aggies out by the Thousands. At the 2003 Bonfire, they were going to light it at 30 after dusk, but then after spraying the jet fuel on it, someone came on the loud speaker and said they were going to delay it because there were an estimated 10,000 people waiting at the Mall where they were running a Shuttle. When it came time to light it, because all the fuel had soaked in, that bitch went up in a Mushroom Cloud of Flames. I think that was the moment that I finally came to terms with it being "THE BONFIRE" again. They will be having Bonfire this Saturday at 30 after (If the NTN Show wasn't going on, I'd go down to BCS for it). www.studentbonfire.com

I've know the Ebanks for a very long time. They live across the street from my parents house, and they go to our Church. Michael and I were in Boy Scouts together. We were never the type of friends to talk everyday, but we were casual friends. His Parents are absolutly amazing!!!! They're the only parents who HAVE NOT SUED THE SCHOOL. Why? Because as they say "It wasn't the School's Fault, and it won't bring Michael back." They've lost both of their son's, Michaels older brother died 5 years before him, and they're stronger people because of it I believe. I absolutly love both of them, and I give them a hug everytime I see them, either outside the house, or at church. They're the greatest.

Gig'em Ags
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Here are transcripts or the remarks at the Memorial Dedication. Mr. Ebanks spoke on behalf of the Families . . . and he did one hell of a job of it. And the loudest Whoop came when the Gov. challenged that Bonfire will burn on Campus again. (Unfortunatly, it never will).

http://bonfirememorial.tamu.edu/memorialremarks.shtml

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8

I never saw that picture... wow...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Can't let this post go with out this:

"The Last Corps Trip"
By P.H. DuVal Jr. '51

It was Judgment Day in Aggieland
And tenseness filled the air;
All knew there was a trip at hand,
But not a soul knew where.

Assembled on the drill field
Was the world-renowned Twelfth Man,
The entire fighting Aggie team
And the famous Aggie Band.

And out in front with Royal Guard
The reviewing party stood;
St. Peter and his angel staff
Were choosing bad from good.

First he surveyed the Aggie team
And in terms of an angel swore,
"By Jove, I do believe I've seen
This gallant group before.

I've seen them play since way back when,
And they've always had the grit;
I've seen 'em lose and I've seen 'em win
But I've never seen 'em quit.

No need for us to tarry here
Deciding upon their fates;
Tis plain as the halo on my head
That they've opened Heaven's gates."

And when the Twelfth Man heard this,
They let out a mighty yell
That echoed clear to Heaven
And shook the gates of Hell.

"And what group is this upon the side,"
St. Peter asked his aide,
"That swelled as if to burst with pride
When we our judgment made?"

"Why, sir, that's the Cadet Corps
That's known both far and wide
For backing up their fighting team
Whether they won lost or tied."

"Well, then," said St. Peter,
"It's very plain to me
That within the realms of Heaven
They should spend eternity.

And have the Texas Aggie Band
At once commence to play
For their fates too we must decide
Upon this crucial day."

And the drum major so hearing
Slowly raised his hand
And said, "Boys, let's play The Spirit
For the last time in Aggieland."

And the band poured forth the anthem,
In notes both bright and clear
And ten thousand Aggie voices
Sang the song they hold so dear.

And when the band had finished,
St. Peter wiped his eyes
And said, "It's not so hard to see
They're meant for Paradise."

And the colonel of the Cadet Corps said
As he stiffly took his stand,
"It's just another Corps Trip, boys,
We'll march in behind the band."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Recovering Lush

I was partying that night...got in late, and couldnt sleep...clicked on klif...and, there was this talk about bonfire setup, and an accident. I thought...eh, you partied too much tonite. But the more I laid there, the more I heard, and.....man. It became clear. I never did sleep that night, or much that week, really.

I didn't care about that game.....didn't give a rat's ass what happened....we drank alot that day..a few Horns, and a few Ags. Didnt say much, but the silence, and the comraderie we shared that day.....spoke volumes. Lots of hand shaking, toasting, and even a few hugs.....dont even really remember much about the game. I think I remember the Ags running aback a failed 2 pnt conversion, but thats about it.

And I can't really blame the parents for suing. What happened didn'thappen because they were Aggies. People see themselkves as invincible, for the most part. We're also guilty about wanting to one up the previous accomplishment. I guess it was bound to happen eventually....people...not Aggies..people, tend to throw caution to the wind sometimes, and unfortunately, bad things happen when that takes place. I dont know....I hope this doesnt offend or come ascross in a bad way, but it pisses me off that it happened. It was avoidable. I don't blame A&M or see this as some kind of Ag thing...just stupid human nature, like I said before. Maybe a little bad luck, too.

The guys I watched that game with, we've tried to watch it a few times since. Never really works out. I guess after a while, we stopped trying, and moved on. We shed some tears together watching that game...I've never felt so much empathy for my fellow Texans, as I have that day. And as much as human nature pissed me off and caused me to weep that day, it also made me proud, in the aftermath. Seeing the two rivals come together.....fucking great. I've said it before, I say it again.....I never expected Texas to win that game..never cared, either. It would have been too cruel, too...I dont know......God wouldn't do that to someone. They deserved it. Meaningless as football is in the scope of things, I'm sure it was something to cling onto, in that terrible, awful period of time.

IF I've offended anyone, it wasn't my attention. I know I rambled all over the place...this was probablly a rather confusing post to digest.

Eh...fuck it....
I'm gonna go pour a drink now...thinking about that day still wreaks havoc on me, emotionally.

God Bless, Ags.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Goblin King of Fort Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Here are transcripts or the remarks at the Memorial Dedication. Mr. Ebanks spoke on behalf of the Families . . . and he did one hell of a job of it. And the loudest Whoop came when the Gov. challenged that Bonfire will burn on Campus again. (Unfortunatly, it never will).

http://bonfirememorial.tamu.edu/memorialremarks.shtml
While I wasn't attending A&M when Bonfire collapsed, I had the opportunity to attend the memorial dedication and it was for me much like you described the yell afterwards. It wasn't until that day that I fully realized what the aggie spirit was. I have had the maroon ribbon that we all wore that day on my nightstand ever since, and will have it with me until the day I die.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Along for the ride

I remember that day as well. It's still hard to think about. It was amazing seeing everyone come together though, including Longhorns. RIP Michael Eubanks and other fallen Ags.

Gig em.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Never settle always excel

That happened my sophmore year just after getting out of the Army. I attended the 1998 Bonfire, Yell and Game. Some good freinds of mine and myself had rented an RV for the game that weekend, we went and stayed. That was the most emotion filled place I have been to this very day. It humbles anyone to think of that day.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement