So Hockey Fans - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

So Hockey Fans

With the new rules do you think that the "big" records will ever be broken?(Most goals/points in a season) etc etc The game is much more free flowing and the scoring way up. Will the defense step up too?

So I wonder? Mayhaps Sid with his early start (Props to Mr Orange and his Pengs love.) will in the years to come break some scoring records??

I think the new guns have a chance to re-write "some" (season) stuff. I just don't see long term players anymore.This generation is pay me now and forget long term or history.The new sticks strike me as...

" pay me now and often and screw the books. Get me a cup and a bunch of cash and screw the rest"

Guess the strike left me jaded but post up what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm going Commando

None of the prolific records from the freewheelin' 80's will be broken. Defense will always be cheaper than offense, and with the "hard cap" teams would rather dig-in than give up a breakaway. No one will Touch Selanne's 92-93 record of 76 goals by a rookie. (hell I don't think anyone will hit 76 again) and all of Gretzky's records are safe, as is Lemieux's points over a career record.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:50 AM
lol, this place sucks now

I highly doubt any of the significant records will be beat but it's nice to think that the way things are shaping up it could be possible.

I like the 'new' NHL, but I liked the old one too. The only thing I dislike is that it seems to be getting alot more like the NBA and if anyone touches the other team they will blow the whistle. While I enjoy a good power play as much as the next guy, it gets rather annoying when just about half the game is played with someone being short-handed. I just hope as the season goes on, less penalties will be called because the players will realize what they can and can't get away with. With less than 20 games into the season I have to say I am 50/50 about the new rules.

As far as the new era of sports figures goes, I think many of the players have the feeling that they need to be paid and it makes no difference what logo is on their sweater. I am glad that this seems less the case in hockey as it is in most other professional sports. The lock-out did look bad for hockey as a whole and many outsiders that don't appreciate the skills that hockey players have were probably lost because of it. In addition to that, the lock-out also sent so many franchise players to other teams that it was hard to keep track of at first. Like anything else, I'll get used to it. Not to mention OLN has all the games now and ESPN decided to drop it all together.

Overall I'm just glad that hockey is back and it's about time. I'm also glad I got Comcast Center Ice so I can catch all my Pens games.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

I like the new rules for the most part. I think once the players get use to how the game is going to be called, the penalties will not be as common as they are at the moment. The game has picked up and i'm loving the fewer icing calls. Those use to drive me insane.

I don't think many records will be in any danger of being broken as far as single season goes.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Lifer

I wouldnt be surprised at all if some of the single season records are broken. Im still not completely sold on the new NHL tho. Having played hockey for 14 years at a high level, I just think they are more worried about catering to the run of the mill fan. Hockey, regardless of how much you love it, will never be a sport such as football, baseball or basketball.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Lifer

I think the quality of goaltending is much better now than in the 80s so we wont see too many records broke. Goalie technique in general has improved - look at all the butterfly guys now.

Lanny, I think you are wrong. What other major sport has grown so much in the last 15 years? 30 years ago, who would have thought teams would exist in tx, az, fl, tn, etc. I think its growing because people like the fast paced and consistent action as opposed to baseball (yawn) and football (few seconds of play at a time, followed by lots of delay. The lockout was a step back though.

I think they have gone a little overboard with calling obstruction type penalties, especially hooking and holding. Hell, i play in recreational leagues and we get away with much more than the NHL now. Like clockworkorange said, we don't want it to turn into the NBA. Taking away two line passes was the greatest idea. Now if we only had olympic size rinks!

-1970 pontiac lemans, 400ci, th400
-95GTS 44k miles, 281rwhp, 325rwtq, canyon carver
-89LX: 314rwhp, 345lb*ft, cobra disc brake conversion
-97 cobra 27k miles...rearended by some douche, RIP
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxfiveO
Lanny, I think you are wrong. What other major sport has grown so much in the last 15 years? 30 years ago, who would have thought teams would exist in tx, az, fl, tn, etc. I think its growing because people like the fast paced and consistent action as opposed to baseball (yawn) and football (few seconds of play at a time, followed by lots of delay. The lockout was a step back though.
Im not saying it hasnt grown but until it is a sport that youths can call up buddies and play out on a pond like up north the sport wont take the next large step. It is mostly a sport that is either loved or hated unlike sports such as the others where you have people that pay little attention but will throw money down on memorabilia ect. I would love to be proved wrong but I dont see it taking the next large step to being an accepted national sport.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 PM

Records are made to be broken.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:43 PM

Most of, if not all of, the records will be broken someday. You won't see One player do it again, but you also won't see a team like the Oilers of the 80's again either, thanks to the all mighty $. There will be great teams, but not teams full of Hall of Famer's for that long.

As far as the rules go, I like some of them, mainly no two line passes and cracking down big time on obstruction-hooking. But I hate limiting the area for goalies to play the puck, I think that is a stupid rule.

Jason
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Lifer

JasonB, you are right about the goalies not being able to play the puck in those zones; i think that sux. I think a better rule would be if the goalie wants to play the puck in those zones, then he is fair game just like any other skater.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Lifer

JasonB, you play for unt? inline right? they don't have an ice team do they? I've played pickup with a couple of the guys from the unt team in arlington.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
Im not saying it hasnt grown but until it is a sport that youths can call up buddies and play out on a pond like up north the sport wont take the next large step. It is mostly a sport that is either loved or hated unlike sports such as the others where you have people that pay little attention but will throw money down on memorabilia ect. I would love to be proved wrong but I dont see it taking the next large step to being an accepted national sport.
point taken

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
JasonB, you play for unt? inline right? they don't have an ice team do they? I've played pickup with a couple of the guys from the unt team in arlington.
I play inline for UT-Dallas. I watched UNT's team play between our five games this past weekend. I'm not sure if they have an ice team or not.

Check WWW.SCHL.ORG to find contact info for the UNT team. They might be able to fill you in.

Jason
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Lifer

oh, utd. ok. i didn't realize you guys played at breakaway - i used to play there. I've actually thought about going to grad school and only taking 3 hours so i can join the uta team. I know i can easily make their b team and maybe if i get in shape make the a-team. Is the uta a-team really good? thats what i've heard.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
oh, utd. ok. i didn't realize you guys played at breakaway - i used to play there. I've actually thought about going to grad school and only taking 3 hours so i can join the uta team. I know i can easily make their b team and maybe if i get in shape make the a-team. Is the uta a-team really good? thats what i've heard.
They used to be really good. But a lot of their players aren't playing this year or graduated. Now they are middle of the pack, but D1 is all pretty close now. We used to scrimmage UTA's a team to prep for nationals, now we are going to have to find a few other teams I think. I heard Watson might play next semester for them though, so that will help.

Jason
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Lifer

If its any help Im pretty sure (90%) that UNT dropped the ice team bc they couldnt find anyone to run it and had problems with people wanting to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement