Texas haters strike again - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Texas haters strike again

I can't believe this crap. People will say anything these days to put down the Horns after a big win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...=tsn&type=lgns

-1998 Cobra - Vortech SQ-Trim powered - BAD-SVT Jr.

459.1rwhp/368.5rwtq on 8#'s of boost

Upcoming mods: 2008 Mustang GT or 2003-up BMW M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I don't think he's putting them down, just speaking the truth. If VT, FSU, or Georgia wins out, they could all be ahead of Texas.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
I can't believe this crap. People will say anything these days to put down the Horns after a big win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...=tsn&type=lgns

How is that putting them down. If you follow the big columnists that put out mock BCS standings they will tell you the same story.

Texas could be Auburn of last year plain and simple.

If VTech, Georgia, and Fla St. win out that poses serious problems to UT's chances of being ranked high enough in the other computer rankings.

That's not even including if UCLA can beat USC and win out.

It's not putting down Texas in any way. It's the facts behind the math and the team ratings that have the Horns potentially at #4 when the first BCS rankings come out next Monday. Remember... OU isn't a 'big' win in the computers eyes this year.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I don't think he's putting them down, just speaking the truth. If VT, FSU, or Georgia wins out, they could all be ahead of Texas.
None of those teams he lists will go undefeated. Mark it down right now.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
None of those teams he lists will go undefeated. Mark it down right now.

OOOOOkkkkkkk

That's not the point of the column. You don't write a weekly column saying teams will lose in the future... you write about the scenario at hand each week. And right now as it stands UT is prob 3-5 in the mock BCS standings...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

VT has played a bunch of nobodies so far. Georgia has only beaten a suspect Tennessee team. At least Florida State is somewhat legit with beating both Miami and Boston College. I still don't see how that puts them anywhere near being ahead of Texas in any poll.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
VT has played a bunch of nobodies so far. Georgia has only beaten a suspect Tennessee team. At least Florida State is somewhat legit with beating both Miami and Boston College. I still don't see how that puts them anywhere near being ahead of Texas in any poll.
The columnist is talking about the final BCS poll. He's saying IF these teams win out, they might finish above Texas. Because if VT wins out, that means they would have beat Miami and probably FSU in the ACC Championship. If FSU wins out, that means they would have beat VT or Miami in the ACC Championship. If Georgia wins out, that means they would have beat Florida, Auburn, and either LSU or Alabama in the SEC Championship.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Mock standings are based on what your opponets have done since you have played them and what your future opponets are doing now.

Right now the best thing for Texas is for CU and TT to play big and keep winning. They may be the surprise help that Texas never thought in the preseason.

Keep in mind I'm a Horn here... but there's a flip side to all the teams you have mentioned and that is that we have only played one team that has really mattered also.

And in the computers eyes VT, FSU, and Georgia have much harder roads ahead of them which puts them ahead of us at this point in time.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Time Served

Well VT, Georgia, and FSU still have a really tough schedual. Not to mention FSU plays VT as does Miami. VT and Marcus Vick are way over rated in my mind. And Georgia still has to play the SEC schedual plus the SEC championship game. All 3 teams will faulter by the time the season is over.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
You are answering your own question hero, they are not ahead of any of those teams yet! Keyword being yet, if these teams take a loss they won't be but if they all win out it is anyones guess who will be up against USC in the Rose Bowl. Texas has one of the weakest schedules in the 2nd half of the season. Georgia, Florida, Va Tech all have as many top 25 teams on there schedule and some big non ranked names to. Texas is where they deserve to be right now but if all 5 teams go undefeated Texas will quickly slide to 3rd or 4th in rankings. They won't be in front of Va Tech or Georgia anyhow if all go undefeated.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
190hp4banger

Like I've said before, anything can happen in sports. It's totally possible for Texas to win out and make the championship game, or even get skipped over. I didn't exactly agree with the comment on Rod Wright tho... trash talkin, etc? He's never been a trash talker, and Mack Brown has made sure that everyone minds their "P"s and "Q"s when speaking on behalf of the 'horns. They alway say they're focused on this weeks' game, and they're gonna play their heart out against a good team (no matter who they play).
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
BOOMER SOONER!

kind of makes you wish you hadn't laughed so hard at the Sooners & Ags demise.

If FSU & VT go undefeated & play each other in the conference championship, the winner will replace UT in the Rose Bowl, face it the Big 12 isn't a favorite conference of the voters & Mack's whine session will be well remembered by some bitter West coast voters. At best UT will play CU again or maybe Nebraska for the Big 12 crown & face it the Big 12 sucks this year.

It's a long season though, this topic will be real interesting in another month and a half.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
M0DERAT0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
& Mack's whine session will be well remembered by some bitter West coast voters.
Any bitter West coast voters should realize Mack was right. Cal sucked.

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg
Any bitter West coast voters should realize Mack was right. Cal sucked.
Well Mack should realize his schedule sucks, this year could be the year for UT but I doubt that it will happen. Everyone is worrying about Va Tech, USC, Georgia taking a loss. It isn't as though Texas has a free walk to the edn of the season. Texas Tech could prove to be a real problem this year.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 02:06 PM
190hp4banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
Well Mack should realize his schedule sucks, this year could be the year for UT but I doubt that it will happen. Everyone is worrying about Va Tech, USC, Georgia taking a loss. It isn't as though Texas has a free walk to the edn of the season. Texas Tech could prove to be a real problem this year.
You're doing the same thing everyone else is... Pick a side and stick with it, does UT's schedule suck, or are they gonna have to actually show up and play to win? I'm totally shocked at all of the people on all the boards saying that Texas doesn't play "anyone," let alone the people who specifically come out and say that Tech sucks. Let's let Tech come to your confererence, run their offense, and see what you have to say after they put up 60 points on your scoreboard.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Tech will not be a problem for the Horns
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:

That needs to happen if we want a playoff system.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190hp4banger
You're doing the same thing everyone else is... Pick a side and stick with it, does UT's schedule suck, or are they gonna have to actually show up and play to win? I'm totally shocked at all of the people on all the boards saying that Texas doesn't play "anyone," let alone the people who specifically come out and say that Tech sucks. Let's let Tech come to your confererence, run their offense, and see what you have to say after they put up 60 points on your scoreboard.
Hey dumbass what conference do you think Texas A&M is part of?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 PM
190hp4banger

Quote:
Hey dumbass what conference do you think Texas A&M is part of?
Hey dumbass, learn some reading comprehension skills. The first part was directed at you, and was very easy to decipher. You said that Texas' schedule sucks (meaning they don't play anyone worth while), then stated that it isn't as if they have a free walk to the end of the season (the hurdle being TT). Which is it? They also play Colorado who is a top 25 team this week.

After re-reading my post, I'll make this a seperate paragraph so the folks with lesser mental fortitude can tell it's not directed at them . I stated "all of the people on all the boards," I never stated "YOU, on DFWSTANGS," therefore was not directed at you, but if the shoe fits, wear it. I also don't understand the way everyone is talking up other teams and talking about how they're gonna play this top 25 team, and that top 25 team, and beat them, etc... but when it comes to Texas' schedule, they somehow dismiss the fact that Colorado IS ranked in the top 25, and TT is in the top 15 as of now I believe (maybe as low as 17). I'm sorry if you feel as if Texas is SOOO good that anyone lower than ranked #'s 1,3,4, or 5 doesn't count as a quality win, but you need to assert that same style of thinking to everyone else in the country then. I don't care if OSU has fallen off, they were a quality team when UT played them, and it was a hard fought game. I don't care if OU has fallen off either, they have had the #1 recruiting classes in the nation and arguably as much talent as any other team in the nation (my personal opinion is that UT has the most talent in the country). So if beating OSU when ranked highly (5th?), Colorado, TT, and just beating the snot out of everyone else they play doesn't impress you, I think you're just jaded.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 06:18 PM

problem is that most of the computer polls for the BCS factor in schedule strength as a fluid/dynamic chart.

If you play OSU when they are ranked #5 and then they lose every game after that you aren't seen as beating a quality team. Was it a big game when it happened?? Of course... and with such a marquee game most human pollers don't forget that, but the computers just use the complex math of standings of teams behind you and standings of teams in front of you. A quality win at the time doesn't mean anything if it doesn't end up being a quality win 5 games from now.

That's why you see historically in the BCS that Texas has largely helped OU's cause in being that solid #2 team. If UT had dropped 2 or 3 games after the OU game then that win wouldn't have meant as much so Auburn probably would have passed them.

The differnence in you caring if OU has fallen off doesn't factor into the computers polls. CU and TT need to keep pulling strong to help UT's schedule out... cause the ACC and SEC teams that will most likely be ahead of UT when the first BCS rankings come out have up to this point had a greater equation of teams beaten (and thier respective records today) and teams waiting to be played (and thier respective records today)

Of course it all changes weekly. As the ACC & SEC teams beat up on one another they will affect thier own schedule strength.

But there is still a ton of football left to be played. Right now the BCS should be the last thing on UT's mind.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
-----------------------

Texas will have played 3 ranked teams this year at this point (OSU, TT, CU). They will be forced to score a ton since the Big 12 is down this year. Luckily they played Ohio State this year. Even though margin of victory has been taken out, the pollsters use that as justification for ranking. As long as Texas wins in impressive fashion, they should be fine. The next 2 weeks are critical for the 'horns.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
190hp4banger

Good responses guys. I understand all that stuff, and I understand how it could potentially hurt UT if they don't put a hurtin' on some teams for the second half of the season. I just don't understand how everyone is saying they don't play anyone good when they have 3 top 25 teams to face this year, and some of the other "contenders" have the same amount, or only one more during their regular season. All we can do is wait and see what happens, and just hope UT gets the chance to prove their merit to everyone at the end of the season.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190hp4banger
Hey dumbass, learn some reading comprehension skills. The first part was directed at you, and was very easy to decipher. You said that Texas' schedule sucks (meaning they don't play anyone worth while), then stated that it isn't as if they have a free walk to the end of the season (the hurdle being TT). Which is it? They also play Colorado who is a top 25 team this week.

After re-reading my post, I'll make this a seperate paragraph so the folks with lesser mental fortitude can tell it's not directed at them . I stated "all of the people on all the boards," I never stated "YOU, on DFWSTANGS," therefore was not directed at you, but if the shoe fits, wear it. I also don't understand the way everyone is talking up other teams and talking about how they're gonna play this top 25 team, and that top 25 team, and beat them, etc... but when it comes to Texas' schedule, they somehow dismiss the fact that Colorado IS ranked in the top 25, and TT is in the top 15 as of now I believe (maybe as low as 17). I'm sorry if you feel as if Texas is SOOO good that anyone lower than ranked #'s 1,3,4, or 5 doesn't count as a quality win, but you need to assert that same style of thinking to everyone else in the country then. I don't care if OSU has fallen off, they were a quality team when UT played them, and it was a hard fought game. I don't care if OU has fallen off either, they have had the #1 recruiting classes in the nation and arguably as much talent as any other team in the nation (my personal opinion is that UT has the most talent in the country). So if beating OSU when ranked highly (5th?), Colorado, TT, and just beating the snot out of everyone else they play doesn't impress you, I think you're just jaded.
They have one really good team on the remaining schedule, ya dumb cracker! It is not hard to understand that with the likes of OSU, Baylor, A&M and Kansas in the bottom half of their schedule it is no brainer that they aren't going to be up against any top tier teams. Then look at Ga or Va Tech who have Boston, Miama, Florida, Auburn and a decent GA Tech in their respective schedules. NOt to mention the ACC and SEC are better conferences currently. So yes it is possible to have a good team in your suck ass schedule Try to keep up Jr. you're slacking, you're trying to turn this into some T-Tech issue or a hit on UT. I do feel UT is great team but the schedule they have may be what trips them up and stalls their bid for the Rose Bowl, dumbass!
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
190hp4banger

Quote:
UT is great team but the schedule they have may be what trips them up and stalls their bid for the Rose Bowl
Time will tell
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Time Served

yeah thats very true as much as you hate to hear there are so many really good teams out there,
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
They have one really good team on the remaining schedule, ya dumb cracker! It is not hard to understand that with the likes of OSU, Baylor, A&M and Kansas in the bottom half of their schedule it is no brainer that they aren't going to be up against any top tier teams.
Atleast you admit A&M sucks.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Race Tracks have Corners?

Quote:
Atleast you admit A&M sucks.
I can admit that too... I've missed half of the games already.... oops

It's a rental!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ake
I can admit that too... I've missed half of the games already.... oops

Actually, you didn't miss anything......

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
M0DERAT0R

With A&M and OU playing poorly, this sports forum sucks.

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
190hp4banger

I concur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement