Seriously though OU versus Texas - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Never settle always excel

Seriously though OU versus Texas

I do wonder if Stoops doesn't have Mack's play book in hand, will anyone here be astonished if OU pulls off an upset this weekend? Texas is ranked number 2 and has proven they deserve to be there at this point in the season. This is the Red River Shootout and emotions run high in the Cotton Bowl this time of year. I am honestly not sure what to estimate the final score to be, I really have no idea given this heated rivalry! Anyone dare to predict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Time Served

I'm not sure what to think. In my opinion Texas has had a better team the last couple of years. I think it was all a mentality thing on Texas' part that kept them from winning, the talent was definately there. But I think this year UT will bring the Red River rights back to Texas.

post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

I say UT by less than a TD

I retract that ^ I'm saying UT by 17

Last edited by Ted; 10-06-2005 at 10:32 AM.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

What's the over/under on this by the way?

I'll take Texas by 14.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof

I'll take Texas by 14.
It's Texas -14 and the o/u is 52.5.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof

I'll take Texas by 14.
And thatís exactly what the line is for the game, 14. Thatís what makes it so hard to pick from a "betting" standpoint.

Protrash, let me commend you on the first level headed non biased opinion about UT that I have ever seen. You didnít even use "tu"

Ill be honest, I donít know what to expect. Rivalry games, you just have to throw out the records. It is obvious that Texas SHOULD take care of business but who knows.

What people donít realize was in the past 5 years, OU WAS the higher ranked team (I believe) all 5 of those times coming into the game...so Texas didnít necessarily choke or get upset, OU just took care of business as they should have given their higher rank. This year, Texas is obviously the higher ranked team, so I think the streak of the higher rank team winning will follow suit.
suit.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 AM
M0DERAT0R

I am terrible at predictions, therefore I predict OU beats Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAXX
Protrash, let me commend you on the first level headed non biased opinion about UT that I have ever seen. You didnít even use "tu"
I think someone stole his username and password. In the other thread, he invited HookEm to go fishing.

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Time Served

I think this is UT's year to blow out OU... UT has more talent... OU's best player Peterson is not going to be 100%.. And as far as emotion... If UT can't stomp the dogshit out of OU this time its fuckin voodoo...
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Lifer

i think its going to be a mental thing for texas, they have the better squad this year no doubt, so as long as they dont keep the 5 losses in a row in the back of their mind they can blow ou out this year. i think they will too, vince young is a lot more confident coming into this year then last.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
lol, this place sucks now

I'll be there... last year was a riot!! I wish I still had my boots though... fuckers stole them

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:09 PM

I said it before, I'll say it again:

Based on recent history, two things are probable this weekend:

1) News reporters will be in the West End reporting on much money conspicuous drunken OU coeds bring to our economy.

2) Oklahoma will win as I cheer for Texas.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector lavoe
Based on recent history, two things are probable this weekend:

1) News reporters will be in the West End reporting on much money conspicuous drunken OU coeds bring to our economy.

2) Oklahoma will win as I cheer for Texas.

I be in the West End this weekend, it will be fun, no doubt!
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
What people donít realize was in the past 5 years, OU WAS the higher ranked team (I believe) all 5 of those times coming into the game...so Texas didnít necessarily choke or get upset, OU just took care of business as they should have given their higher rank. This year, Texas is obviously the higher ranked team, so I think the streak of the higher rank team winning will follow suit.
suit.
Actually, I think it's the other way around. I remember in 00 & 01, Texas was ranked higher. They might have been ranked higher one other year too.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
BOOMER SOONER!

OU has nothing to lose. UT players and coaches can deny that they don't feel any extra pressure or that the streak doesn't matter, all they want. Fact of the matter is, UT hasn't won against OU this millenium(like that Hookem ), hell they haven't even thrown a TD pass. It will be a better game then most UT fans think or care to admit IMO. Don't go booking your hotels in Pasadena just yet.

BOOMER SOONER!!!
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
OU has nothing to lose. UT players and coaches can deny that they don't feel any extra pressure or that the streak doesn't matter, all they want. Fact of the matter is, UT hasn't won against OU this millenium(like that Hookem ), hell they haven't even thrown a TD pass. It will be a better game then most UT fans think or care to admit IMO. Don't go booking your hotels in Pasadena just yet.

BOOMER SOONER!!!
Betting rule #1: Never bet true rivalry games.

Wouldn't touch this with a ten foot poll. Not for real money.
No way to forecast who's gonna win, or how the game's gonna go.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:58 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Lol, exactly what I was thinking...

Anywho, you know I'm pulling for Texas and I really believe that this year we are more than skilled enough to knock OU around. However, we do have a mental block with them that could hurt us and the pressure from a perfect season is jinxing as well.

With the right state of mind, we could smash them. But I still think it could end up being a close game.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
M0DERAT0R

Regardless of who wins or loses, we all know that Oklahoma will always suck.

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg
Regardless of who wins or loses, we all know that Oklahoma will always suck.
One of the ever pervasive universal truths. That and Jack In the Box 99c tacos.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Actually, I think it's the other way around. I remember in 00 & 01, Texas was ranked higher. They might have been ranked higher one other year too.
If you look at this (might have to be registered): and you have to dig into the article in some of them.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...y/2000-03.html

in 00, OU was #10, Texas # 11

in 01, OU doesnt say specifically but was undefeated going into the game and on an 18 game winning streak so probably 1 or 2 and Texas was 5

in 02 OU was #2, UT #3

in 03, OU was #1, UT #11

in 04, OU was #2, UT #5

All the ranks were going into the game

Now considering how close they were ranked (and considering its a rivalry where less talented teams CAN often times beat more talented teams), you would think Texas could have pulled out ATLEAST ONE of the games in the last five years. As we all know the ranking systems is not an exact science, but at least it has been accurate in predicting the Texas - OU outcome in recent history.

Trevor
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Lifer

Im headed down to "Big D" this evening. OU/TX weekend is one of the great sports weekends around. I can honestly say, that I'm more excited this year, than in years past, because of the unknown.

So, I'll leave everyone with my overall predictions and thoughts on this ballgame.

With all the talk about how good this Texas team is, and all the Nat'l Title talk, the Longhorns better win by 3+ touchdowns. Anything less should be a major dissapointment for Longhorn fans. Like I said earlier......Its going to be tough to be real excited about barely beating a lowely 2-2 non- top 25 team. But this day has been marked on their calendar for 365 days. If they dont do it this year, they might be in for another 5-6 year drought, with all the young talent in Norman. Oklahoma will start 8 freshman Saturday.

As far as actual game play, I think Oklahoma matches up very well on defense with what Texas' gameplan is. Contain VY, and make him throw the rock. OU's linebackers are of similar calibur of Ohio States. (With more speed) The area of concern will be the loss of both starting DE's (Birdine/Williams) The Defensive secondary covers very well on the deep ball, but allows many teams to throw all over them underneath.

~Texas leads the country in Rushing offense, and Oklahoma has the 2nd best Rushing Defense. (Somethings gotta give)

Offensively for Oklahoma, things must continue to improve. I might be crucified for saying this, but Oklahomas offensive play calling is better without Adrian Peterson in the game. He was still wearing an air cast on his ankle today in practice, so I find it hard to believe that he will be close to 100% like coaches say. But I am looking forward to some new formations this week, with the diamond right (no back). With former QB Paul Thompson, and current DB Reggie Smith swinging wide, and pitching the ball to WR (Adrian Peterson) Its abesolutely gorgeous. The option returns Saturday for Oklahoma.

*Wild Card*
I've seen Bob Stoops scheme to contain Vince Young. That will happen again this year. I think the difference this year, is freshman Jamaal Charles, and his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Cedric Benson could never break out against OU. But Charles is a different type of RB. If Jamaal Charles has a big game....Texas wins.

My overall prediction........

A defensive battle, with 3-5 big plays for both squads. Vince Young carries the load with 100-125 yards rushing, but you know hes going to fumble the ball a couple of times. Turnovers will be the key in this game.

Final Prediction

Oklahoma 21
Texas 17

Peace out.....and I'll be back Monday morning.

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Time Served

I think Texas will win in a blow out. Peterson won't be 100% and OU's QB is awful. This yr.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlofton
OU's QB is awful. This yr.
Thats funny.

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Old School

Have a safe trip down here and back Bringit.

Should be a good game. I too will be interested to see how UTs rush does against OUs rush defense.

Trevor
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Time Served

You know its true
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BRINGIT
Thats funny.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Wouldn't touch this with a ten foot poll. Not for real money.
No way to forecast who's gonna win, or how the game's gonna go.
HOLY SHIT he drank the kool aid too!!!!
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Along for the ride

This game is about as unpredictable as they get. Texas should win, but OU is improving every week and I look for this to be a good game.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
M0DERAT0R

I know you're gone but...

Quote:
With all the talk about how good this Texas team is, and all the Nat'l Title talk, the Longhorns better win by 3+ touchdowns. Anything less should be a major dissapointment for Longhorn fans. Like I said earlier......Its going to be tough to be real excited about barely beating a lowely 2-2 non- top 25 team.
This is a pregame excuse.

Quote:
Oklahoma 21
Texas 17
With the "powerhouses" of TCU, Tulsa, UCLA, and Kansas St. scoring an avg of 23.5 pts against OU, I don't see how this year's OU defense keeps Texas to 17pts.

Quote:
Thats funny.
Rhett Bomar's stats are funny.
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2005_39__ 69_441_56.5_6.39_27_1__2____7_68.6

Luckily, fumbles are not included in QB stats.

OU lacks a passing game, so Texas is going to line up 10 men in the box and blitz similar to OU last year.

OU will try the same thing but Young is a different player this year and will play action to dump it to the RB Charles and the TE Thomas.

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg

This is a pregame excuse.
Sho is!

post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Im headed down to "Big D" this evening.
Be safe out there.

Quote:

With all the talk about how good this Texas team is, and all the Nat'l Title talk, the Longhorns better win by 3+ touchdowns. Anything less should be a major dissapointment for Longhorn fans.
Uhm, no. 1 pnt would be just fine by me.
Quote:
If they dont do it this year, they might be in for another 5-6 year drought, with all the young talent in Norman. Oklahoma will start 8 freshman Saturday.
Texas isnt exactly an old team. As to your poppycock about Dirt Burgular reeling off 11-12 straight wins if TX doesnt win.....have ya seen the overall series record?

Quote:
OU's linebackers are of similar calibur of Ohio States. (With more speed)
It's pretty early to be that freaking wasted. Slow down!

Quote:

~Texas leads the country in Rushing offense, and Oklahoma has the 2nd best Rushing Defense. (Somethings gotta give)
Against TCU, Tulsa, et al.....Land Thief has played no one, so your ranking is a fraud.

Quote:
former QB Paul Thompson,
What happened to his Heisman campaign?

Quote:

Final Prediction

Oklahoma 21
Texas 17

Peace out.....and I'll be back Monday morning.
who knows.....I'm out till Monday morning after I leave town tomorrow, as well.

Here's to safe travels.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Well after some research I found that out of the last 29 games the series stands at 13-13-3, that is pretty neat. I also found out while watching the news last night that if Mack Brown takes a loss tomorrow, he will be the first coach ever in the 100 years to lose 6 straight. I am very excited about this game.There have been seasons where the teams have had 6 or 7 game in row winning streaks just not under the same coach.

Last edited by Pro Trash; 10-07-2005 at 10:29 AM.
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Lifer

Mack may be the first coach to lose 6 in a row, but Texas has 2 8-game win streaks in the history of the rivalry. Mack wins, or he's gone. All things considered, this game shouldn't even be close. It probably will be, but shouldn't.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Mack may be the first coach to lose 6 in a row, but Texas has 2 8-game win streaks in the history of the rivalry. Mack wins, or he's gone. All things considered, this game shouldn't even be close. It probably will be, but shouldn't.
I don't think Texas will be stupid enough to get rid of Mack Brown if they loose the shoot out this year. He has put them back on the map since he started coaching there, no doubt he is good, no doubt he has struggled against Stoops but to fire him because he is 10-1 or 9-2 at regular seasons end is ridiculous. If you look back to August of 2002 Brown has an overall record of 36-6 his recent worst season was 2003 10-3. I am not real sure but if that's bad then I hate to see horrible. I think you need to base your opinions with less emotion and utilize more reasoning when thinking of Browns future at Texas. No school is going to fire a head coach that is that successful. By the way I will be using tu in the future when refering to the other school in Austin.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
I don't think Texas will be stupid enough to get rid of Mack Brown if they loose the shoot out this year. He has put them back on the map since he started coaching there, no doubt he is good, no doubt he has struggled against Stoops but to fire him because he is 10-1 or 9-2 at regular seasons end is ridiculous. If you look back to August of 2002 Brown has an overall record of 36-6 his recent worst season was 2003 10-3. I am not real sure but if that's bad then I hate to see horrible. I think you need to base your opinions with less emotion and utilize more reasoning when thinking of Browns future at Texas. No school is going to fire a head coach that is that successful. By the way I will be using tu in the future when refering to the other school in Austin.
A-fucking-men.
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Mack has the talent right now. It could very well be his one chance to catch OU on the down-slide. If he doesn't get it done now, it won't happen. Seen it with Akers, seen it with Slocum... they didn't win when they were supposed too, and they were gone. There are a TON of coaches that could coach UT. Under these circumstances, if he can't beat OU or/and A&M, he's a failure.

post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Mack has the talent right now. It could very well be his one chance to catch OU on the down-slide. If he doesn't get it done now, it won't happen. Seen it with Akers, seen it with Slocum... they didn't win when they were supposed too, and they were gone. There are a TON of coaches that could coach UT. Under these circumstances, if he can't beat OU or/and A&M, he's a failure.
I don't see Mack going anywhere, even with a Red River loss this year. He has way too much university support, and has had it for many years.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Lifer

You're probably right, but he would still be a failure.

post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree I don't see a winning season as a failure regardless of winning a rivalry or not.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 12:33 PM
-----------------------

Mack will not be let go. There is more booster money coming into Texas than ever before. No one in their right mind would fire someone for going 11-1 or 11-2 year in, year out.

The only person that can come even remotely close would be John Cooper @ Ohio State. He went 1-9 vs. Michigan, but his overall record was not near Mack's.
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
He'd be Fred Akers.

Formula for success:

1. Money into the program
2. Beat Ags
3. Beat Sooner
4. Top 10 finishes

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Lifer

do most ut fans like mack brown a lot still?
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Lifer

I like Mack fine, but he needs to win. If you don't get past OU, it means you have no shot to be National Champs, and with this team, you would be a failure.

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotino15
do most ut fans like mack brown a lot still?
Of course... He's quite personable. Gets GREAT recruits. He just has a history of getting nothing out of them. ZERO conference championships let alone national championships. Spells "bad coaching" from alot of peoples prospectives. Most UT fans will say its bad luck. (or OU)
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Texas by at least 30
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpawl
Texas by at least 30
Wanna wager on that spread?
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
I'll be there... last year was a riot!! I wish I still had my boots though... fuckers stole them

LMAO!!! That is funny. That's what the OU defense will look like when trying to tackle Vince And Jamaal. Want a prediction? Here you go Horns 45, OU 13. Look for the Texas D to score at least once and probably twice.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91rednotch
No one in their right mind would fire someone for going 11-1 or 11-2 year in, year out.
Want to ask Nebraska fans about Frank Solich??? Think they'd like to have him back???

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Time Served

Thumbs down

what the fuck was that pass interference call they just fuckin made on OU. That was the biggest bullshit.
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Well OU has got away with a cpl calls also.

05 Yamaha R6- Not stock anymore
90 Eagle Talon TSi- Yeah it's slow
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:52 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy
what the fuck was that pass interference call they just fuckin made on OU. That was the biggest bullshit.
Yeah, not sure about that. They are saying it should have been holding instead.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

It is Official the wheels are starting to fall off my Band Wagon looks like some of me and my A&M band wagoneers might be eating crow for dinner, LOL. Texas is not slacking today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement