quick question for softball/baseball people? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Question quick question for softball/baseball people?

My 12 year old daughter just started playing fastpitch softball and her team has this 11 year old girl on the team that thorws a fastpitch of 54mph!! what is that equivalant to in baseball? does anybody know?

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
My 12 year old daughter just started playing fastpitch softball and her team has this 11 year old girl on the team that thorws a fastpitch of 54mph!! what is that equivalant to in baseball? does anybody know?
Little bit difficult to believe, but I guess possible.

The college level players are throwing about 70-75mph and from 46 feet that compares to a Nolan Ryan fastball. Jennie Fitch, the best fastball on the USA Girls teams throws her fastball about 70-72MPH.

But speed isn't the only thing important in fastpitch.

The other critical thing is arm speed. If a fastpitch pitcher can throw with the same arm speed whether a fast ball or a change up she is golden (like Jennie Fitch).

Movement of the ball is a much better benefit than pure speed. That is why Cat Osterman is consider the best pitcher on the USA Girls team even though Jennie has a faster fast ball. Cat can make the ball rise, drop and dart better than anyone.

You need decent speed, but great spin, from a softball fastpitch pitcher.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Little bit difficult to believe, but I guess possible.

The college level players are throwing about 70-75mph and from 46 feet that compares to a Nolan Ryan fastball. Jennie Fitch, the best fastball on the USA Girls teams throws her fastball about 70-72MPH.

But speed isn't the only thing important in fastpitch.

The other critical thing is arm speed. If a fastpitch pitcher can throw with the same arm speed whether a fast ball or a change up she is golden (like Jennie Fitch).

Movement of the ball is a much better benefit than pure speed. That is why Cat Osterman is consider the best pitcher on the USA Girls team even though Jennie has a faster fast ball. Cat can make the ball rise, drop and dart better than anyone.

You need decent speed, but great spin, from a softball fastpitch pitcher.
cool thanks! I know nothing about fastpitch other than my daughter playing but this little girl's dad has said to have had her radared at 54mph, and the girl does play select somewhere in mckinney but is just playing in the fall here in mesquite on my daughters team! maybe she will turn up to be some phenom someday?

2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
190hp4banger

75 maybe? Jennie Finch has struck out every single MLB player she's faced, except one. They throw fast, and the mounds are closer so they're pretty hard to hit off of. She throws 71 mph and they said it "seems" like the ball is coming in at 98 mph, but that's comparative to someone used to the pitcher being at a further distance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190hp4banger
75 maybe? Jennie Finch has struck out every single MLB player she's faced, except one. They throw fast, and the mounds are closer so they're pretty hard to hit off of. She throws 71 mph and they said it "seems" like the ball is coming in at 98 mph, but that's comparative to someone used to the pitcher being at a further distance.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190hp4banger
Nothing like watching a ball come down across the plate at 70MPH and traveling 3-4" up and down or side to side from 46'.

As far as this girl throwing 54 at 11 if she isn't playing select league, I'd look at the dad with a big grin and say, "bullshit" (unless of course you don't think you could take him)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Nothing like watching a ball come down across the plate at 70MPH and traveling 3-4" up and down or side to side from 46'.

As far as this girl throwing 54 at 11 if she isn't playing select league, I'd look at the dad with a big grin and say, "bullshit" (unless of course you don't think you could take him)
I'd could take him easy(semi retired pro boxer/kickboxer) but then he might not teach my daughter how too pitch(he has 5 years as a pitching coach)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement