The University v The Ohio State University - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

The University v The Ohio State University

This'll be one helluva game.....TX plays lights out, and they win.

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

Notebook: Texas takes out the trash talk

Monday, September 05, 2005 Texas takes out the trash talk

The Buckeyes lobbed the first verbal volley of the week after their 34-14 win over Miami (Ohio). Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter told reporters that his defense's goal is to have Texas quarterback Vince Young leave Columbus no longer a candidate for the Heisman Trophy.

When told of Carpenter's comments, Young said: "We're not worried about that." Senior safety Michael Huff had another response. "I don't get into all of the talk,'' he said. "I'll let my play on the field do my talking for me.''

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

Texas turns to Ohio State

What they'll use to beat the Buckeyes is anybody's guess

It seems a given that Ohio State's defense will key in on Longhorns quarterback Vince Young, above. Young says he welcomes the challenge. 'That'll open up some seams for somebody else,' he said. 'If they want to concentrate on Vince, they can do it.'

By Suzanne Halliburton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, September 05, 2005

The play had such a simple name — "Z reverse" — but it was the most colorful of the 69 offensive snaps the Texas Longhorns used Saturday night in a 60-3 dismantling of outmanned Louisiana-Lafayette.

Quarterback Vince Young handed the ball to tailback Jamaal Charles, who then flipped it to flanker Ramonce Taylor. The offensive do-it-all easily stepped through the Lafayette line, with the defense providing only whipped-cream resistance.

Thirty yards later, Taylor had scored his touchdown for the game.

Texas, No. 2 in the country, may face the toughest team on its schedule this Saturday when the Longhorns travel to play sixth-ranked Ohio State. And in beating Lafayette by 57 points, Texas may have, as Coach Mack Brown put it, played the perfect opener to prepare for the road game against the Buckeyes.

Brown played his starters, stars such as Taylor and quarterback Vince Young, a little more than a half. Aside from the freshmen who are redshirting, he used every Longhorn eligible to see the field. There were no injuries likely to keep someone from playing in Columbus. And the team played well together, committing only five penalties and two turnovers.

They also showed little that could be studied by Buckeye coaches and players.

Of the nuances:

•Taylor ran three reverses. As a running back who gained 96 yards in his career debut a year ago, Taylor played receiver and tailback to collect 88 yards in a half. But the varied use of Taylor was hardly a surprise to anyone, considering Brown announced long ago he planned to turn the speedy sophomore into another version of Southern California playmaker Reggie Bush.

•The Longhorns used a four-cornerback approach on passing downs. They moved starting cornerback Cedric Griffin to free safety, alongside Michael Huff. Aaron Ross and Tarell Brown, who usually alternate series at the other cornerback spot, this time were on the field together.

Although Lafayette passed on 33 of 67 snaps, Texas never used more than this four corner approach. Co-coordinator Duane Akina kept the five defensive back package in the playbook.

"We wanted to put on film that we're aggressive and good on defense," said Texas middle linebacker Aaron Harris.

The hype for Ohio State officially started about 9:30 Saturday night when a smattering of fans at Royal-Memorial Stadium started chanting for the Buckeyes.

Brown told his team to enjoy its 57-point win Saturday night, then expect to start work in earnest for Ohio State.

The actual work on the Buckeyes started this spring and in the preseason, although the official game plan will be folded into practice this week. It seems a given that the Buckeyes will key on stopping the game-breaking talents of Vince Young.

Young seemed to welcome the challenge.

"That'll open up some seams for somebody else," Young said. "If they want to concentrate on Vince, they can do it."

THREE QUESTIONS:

Where, oh, where, is someone who can kick an extra point?

The biggest challenge Saturday in a game that never was in doubt was whether Texas ever could kick an extra point. Richmond McGee, above, who is supposed to handle all kicking chores for the Longhorns, had an inauspicious debut. He had two kicks blocked, one when a Texas special-teamer blew his blocking assignment. A third just missed wide. David Pino came to kick the final two points. The Longhorns did not attempt a field goal.

Can Texas effectively prepare for two quarterbacks?

Count on Ohio State using two quarterbacks, or at least the Buckeyes will allow the Longhorns to think that. Justin Zwick started the first game against Miami (Ohio). That's mainly because Troy Smith, the more athletic of the two, sat out Saturday to serve a one-game suspension. They have distinct styles, and that's a difficult defensive assignment, especially this early in the season.

Can the Longhorns avoid articificially inflated egos?

Seriously, any player reading a newspaper Sunday knows that arch rivals Texas A&M and Oklahoma each lost their opener. And in past years, Texas hasn't handled early success well.

Mack Brown will need to reinforce to his team that it's very difficult to win in Columbus with more than 104,000 fans — only 4,000 wearing burnt orange — on hand.

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

It's big vs. bigger when Texas and Ohio State clash

Among college superpowers, Buckeyes, Horns might be 1-2.

By John Maher

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, September 05, 2005

Whenever asked about the spiraling arms race in college athletics and the problem of keeping up with the Joneses, University of Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds has a ready answer.

"We are the Joneses," Dodds replies.

To most other universities, Texas, with its lavish facilities, well-heeled donors, cash-cow football team and sheer size, would be the gold standard. One of the few that can match it, or exceed it — Ohio State — will line up against the Longhorns on Saturday night in the first-ever clash of two of college football's oldest, biggest and most powerful programs.

Call them Big and Bigger.

When it comes to athletics, the aptly nicknamed Bucks don't take a back seat to anyone. In fact, the Buckeyes might go bust if they had to live on Texas' budget of a "mere" $83 million.

"As far as I know, we're the biggest, budget-wise," said Pete Hagan, Ohio State's assistant athletic director for finance.

Ed Goble, UT's associate athletic director for business, recently told the Texas men's athletic council, "For several years we've been running second to Ohio State. We're going to try to top them in a few years."

He was referring to fund raising, not spending. Ohio State doesn't merely rake in money with its 102,329-seat football stadium and a 7-year-old basketball facility that can hold 19,500. The Buckeyes spend it, as well, on everything from the $200 million it took to renovate the famous Horseshoe — as Ohio Stadium is more commonly known — in 2001, to the boatload of men's and women's Olympic sports the school supports.

The Buckeyes have a whopping 36 varsity sports — 16 more than Texas.

"If we do a sport, we do it the absolutely best we can do it," Dodds said.

In the past, Texas was actually forced by a court ruling to add women's sports, which it has done with softball, soccer and rowing.

But in a Title IX era where schools are dropping men's minor sports like they were a bad habit, Ohio State is nuturing them, including gymnastics (remember Paul Hamm from the 2004 Athens Olympics?), wrestling, volleyball, fencing, soccer and lacrosse.

"We've always had a broad-based program and, in order to bring it into line with Title IX, (former AD) Andy Geiger, instead of cutting men's sports, added women's sports," Hagan said.

The Ohio State women play every sport Texas has and also have fencing, gymnastics, ice hockey, field hockey and lacrosse.

Ohio State even fields teams in sports that don't have NCAA championships, including pistol shooting and synchronized swimming, where the Bucks claim 24 national titles from a sanctioning body other than the NCAA. Oddly enough, the Buckeyes have never won an NCAA title in women's sports, probably coming closest in a 1993 championship game loss to Sheryl Swoopes and Texas Tech in basketball.

Last year, Ohio State finished fourth in the All Sports Directors' Cup, behind Stanford, Michigan and UCLA and ahead of 10th-place Texas.

"We want to be, and expect to be, at the level that even if we have a bad day, we'll finish in the top three in the nation. If we have a normal day, we'll be national champions. And if we have a good day, we'll crush the competition," one Ohio State coach told the Columbus Dispatch this year.

Don't worry, that wasn't football coach Jim Tressel, but fencing coach Vladimir Nazlymov.

The pride in Olympic sports is part of the heritage of former athletic director Geiger, who arrived from Stanford in spring 1994 with a vision of having Ohio State athletics excel the way the football team traditionally has done. It was not a seamless transition as Geiger axed coaches in everything from women's track to men's soccer.

Geiger also embarked on a grand building scheme. The football stadium got a face lift that included 80 luxury boxes and 2,600 club seats. St. John Arena, where Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek and Bobby Knight once played for an NCAA championship basketball team, was phased out as a $115 million facility awkwardly named Value City Arena at the Jerome Schottenstein Center came on line. A warehouse near campus was transformed into a first-class training facility for gymnastics, fencing and wrestling. In about a month, a $20 million aquatics center will open.

Hagan said the only current project is some work alum Jack Nicklaus' firm is doing on the Scarlet and Gray golf courses designed by Alister MacKenzie. But there are plans for such facilities as an indoor tennis center and a boathouse for crew.

With all of its sports, Ohio State, like most, has only two that create a profit. The men's basketball team makes more than Texas', clearing almost $9 million a year, while Texas' profits are up to about $7 million. At both schools the real financial engine is football. With its cavernous stadium, Ohio State can pull in $4.7 million per home game while Texas' take is around $4 million.

Ohio State athletics is big business, and early this year Geiger, citing burnout, stepped down. Geiger's reign was marred by problems with the football and basketball teams. He was replaced by Gene Smith, the former Arizona State athletic director. Whether Smith can sustain such an enormous program at a high level and keep the Buckeyes rolling in bucks remains to be seen.

[email protected]; 445-3956

Sizing up the schools

School UT OSU

Location Austin Columbus

Founded 1883 1870

Undergrads 37,397 37,509

Began football 1893 1890

Wins 788 766

Heisman winners 2 6

National titles 3 7

AP titles 2 4

Stadium 80,082 102,329

Varsity teams 20 36

Athletic budget $83* $91*

* in millions

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:42 AM
PC HATER!!

if texas can win, i mean when they win, they will play in the rose bowl!!!

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
-forrest gump

[IMG]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Sure hope so. We still have to get past Tech, Sooner, and aggy to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasstars281
if texas can win, i mean when they win, they will play in the rose bowl!!!

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 AM
PC HATER!!

i think tech is here, and ou wont be a game and they play the aggies in college station. yeah the aggies and mcneal mite be a problem.

hook em'

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
-forrest gump

[IMG]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Along for the ride

My Aggies have an off week so this will be my game to watch. Should be some good football.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 11:53 AM
AHMO!

i still don't know who to root for..... hope huff plays good though, gotta root for the guy you went to highschool with.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Lifer

GO BUCS!!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Lifer

like the article says, as long as they dont get overconfident they should be fine, texas is obviously the best team in the big12 right now, they can def. do it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

aww, you're just mad that this kicker stomped a mudhole in ya:

Ruff time to be an Ag, facing another 5-6 loss season.

(Clemson, Colorado, Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, with KSU being the swing game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ac
GO BUCS!!

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Old School

Both teams looked good in their first outing so it should he a hell of a game. Im definitely looking forward to it! I was also glad to see that Texas looks like it has a few options at running back if Selvin doesnt pan out.

GO HORNS!

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:48 PM

So does anyone want to get together and watch this game?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
aww, you're just mad that this kicker stomped a mudhole in ya:

Ruff time to be an Ag, facing another 5-6 loss season.

(Clemson, Colorado, Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, with KSU being the swing game)
I'm hoping Colorado and KSU won't be on that list, and if we go 0-3 against the "important teams" i'm just going to cry. I'm still optimistic that we will pull together and play like I know we are capable of playing. A&M can go 8-3.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

CU and KSU are both road games. only 2 more losses this season is pretty darn optimistic. That would mean beating CU and KSU on the road, and then winning one of the following games:
OU on the road
TTech on the road
Texas at home.
Keep in mind the abysmal road record A&M has had under Fran, with a grand total of TWO road wins.
All the while winning all the games ya'll should.
Hey, it could happen, but not with the product we saw Sat night: losing to two rookie coordinators, a back up QB, and that uber-ghey kicker.
To top it off, to go bowling, ya gotta win 7 games, since Texas State doesnt count as one of the six qualifying games.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cammer97
I'm hoping Colorado and KSU won't be on that list, and if we go 0-3 against the "important teams" i'm just going to cry. I'm still optimistic that we will pull together and play like I know we are capable of playing. A&M can go 8-3.

Marcus

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Lifer

tu is goin down Bryce!!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

I'm taking OU over Tulsa as well. OU was pretty dismal last week, but they have enuff to beat Tulsa U this week.

Quote:
tu is goin down Bryce!!

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I'm taking OU over Tulsa as well. OU was pretty dismal last week, but they have enuff to beat Tulsa U this week.
tu = texas university. I know you knew what I meant.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

There's no such thing. There's a tSu, but....i know of no tu....

Quote:
tu = texas university. I know you knew what I meant.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Time Served

OK, I'm a Sooner from birth, so after Saturday my head should still be in the dirt, but I made it through the 90's as a Sooner so it could be worse. All the talk about Texass' win over ULL and being that is a prep for OSU is rediculous. ULL isn't much better than my high school team, honestly, they are in a conference UNT wins every year. UT looks impressive, but again, until they play someone worth anything you can't really tell. My team, OU looked awesome last year, until they played USC. If texas beats OSU I will be impressed because it will be an earned vicotory. Until then I won't. And speaking of USC, they are the best team in the country, as much as I hate to admit it, until someone knocks them off. The game against OSU should be a great game, especially this early in the season. Whoever wins that game will be a favorite (in my opinion) to play USC in the Rose Bowl. Until VY puts up big numbers against a good team I won't rank him in the top five qb's in the country. Ok, back to putting my head in the dirt (until October 8th ).

BOOMER SOONER,
Jason

*Time to watch another kick go wide right!*
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
OK, I'm a Sooner from birth, so after Saturday my head should still be in the dirt,
Yes, it should.

Quote:
but I made it through the 90's as a Sooner so it could be worse.
OK, how could it be worse than being a Sooner?

Quote:
All the talk about Texass' win over ULL and being that is a prep for OSU is rediculous.
No, it isn't "Rediculous." It was a prep game, scrimmage, wam up, whatever.

Quote:
ULL isn't much better than my high school team, honestly, they are in a conference UNT wins every year.
Yet UNTs and LA-LA pass defenses were both considered better than TCUs........

Quote:
UT looks impressive, but again, until they play someone worth anything you can't really tell.
Meanwhile, OU looks really bad, but until they play someone worth anything, we don't know just HOW bad.

Quote:
My team, OU looked awesome last year, until they played USC. If texas beats OSU I will be impressed because it will be an earned vicotory. Until then I won't. And speaking of USC, they are the best team in the country, as much as I hate to admit it, until someone knocks them off. The game against OSU should be a great game, especially this early in the season. Whoever wins that game will be a favorite (in my opinion) to play USC in the Rose Bowl.
Except USC won't be there this year. Michigan and Texas in a rematched Rose Bowl.

Quote:
Until VY puts up big numbers against a good team I won't rank him in the top five qb's in the country. Ok, back to putting my head in the dirt (until October 8th ).
Did ya miss the Rose Bowl?
Young was 16-28-180-1-1, and 21-192 and 4 TDs on the ground.

BOOMER SOONER,
Jason

*Time to watch another kick go wide right!*[/QUOTE]

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Time Served

Ok, my post isn't about OU, OU is bad this year (as compaired to other Stoops' teams). No doubt. But if you want to talk about last year (Texas vs Michigan), how did texas do against OU last year? The thing with college football as opposed to pro football is that you cant compair year to year. OU has beat Texas five years in a row, but does that matter for this year? No. Why? Because the teams are different. As far as your question about being worse than a Sooner. I meant that being a Sooner in the 90's was harder than being a Sooner after a loss to TCU. I mean at least we have a national Title recently. How about Texas? Oh. And who is going to keep USC out of the title game? Honestly? If Texas, Michigan, and USC are undefeated at the end of the season, do you really think USC won't go?

Jason
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Time Served

If Texas wins this game they are going to go to the national championship because the big 12 sucks this yr. The only BCS conferance any worse than the big 12 this yr is the Big East.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement