2000: 7-5
2001: 8-4
Total: 23-13

A&M record w/ McNeal:
2002: 6-6
2003: 4-8
2004: 7-5
Total: 17-19

My issue is : Either McNeal is not that good or Fran is a little overrated. He may break some A&M records, but A&M is 2 games under .500 the past 3 years. Why is he being hailed as the best in the Big 12? Stats mean nothing if you cannot lead your team to W's.

#2 ·
WOW!

Dont know where to go with that one. As big of an OU fan as I am, I still love the game that A&M brings to the table.

Even remotely singling out Mcneal is a little harsh. He brings alot to the table, and A&M wouldnt be the threat that they are without him. As far as Im concerned he is the best QB in the Big 12. (And there is a large gap between him, and the 2nd best QB) There has to be a supporting cast.

The losses over the last 2-3 years were not attributed to bad coaching. The talent around Mcneal wasn't much to write home about. One player cannot take an entire team to the promised land. The athletes are now in place, the experience is there on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, and YES...the coaching is there. I look for A&M to battle for the South Title.

Franchione has a great track record, this year will show no different.

#3 ·
Unfortunately I don't think you can blame Fran or McNeal. You'll have to blame RC Slocum. The team was heading down hill when they both arrived. I think you'll see great things from Reggie this year. Fran is finally getting his system in motion and some recruiting classes under his belt. I think Reggie has NFL potential. If you surround him with a good O-line, a descent running back and some descent receivers, he'll shine. He has a great arm, and excellent speed. His decision making and patience have really improved as he's matured. Like I said, I think he'll have a good year if the O-line can step up and Courtney Lewis stays healthy.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

G
#4 ·
99BRINGIT said:
As far as Im concerned he is the best QB in the Big 12. (And there is a large gap between him, and the 2nd best QB).
He WAS the best QB in the big 12, that now belongs to Vince Young. Before you say anything... I am one of the biggest anti-Vince Young guys out there, if that tells you anything. Vince has come a long way and can actually pass now, he's gonna be great to watch this year.

Reggie will shine this year also.

G
#6 ·
99BRINGIT said:
YES. I'm tellin' ya, I wouldn't say it if it weren't true. I was one of those guys who couldn't stand all of the hype he got because he was just an overglorified running back. I've seen him this year and he's gotten sooo much better. We'll see what happens when the season starts though.

#8 ·
Last I looked football was a team sport. Now that Fran has picked up better recruits over the past 2 years, McNeal hopefully will not have to carry the full load this year. I can only imagine how bad they would have been without him!

G
#9 ·
01WhiteCobra said:
McNeal > Young as a quaRterback.

I'd add something to that, but Matt Hayes says it better than anyone else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=texassizedsnubswontslowa&prov=tsn&type=lgns
I agreed with that wholeheartedly until this year. I argued with Hook'Em MANY times about that particular subject, and my exact wording was the same as the article. I told him that VY isn't a quarterback, but a running back. This year should be different.
On a different note, Reggie should be awesome to watch this year, and I always find myself rooting for the Ags (especially RM and Appell ? sp ) unless they play UT.

#10 ·
1. Fran has a track record all right......running out of town when the $$$ gets waived.
2. Sick of hearing how great RM is in big games. Here's a newsflash: He's been on the bad end of a blowout in EVERY big game he's played in. 3 games against UT, 1 Cotton Bowl: 0-4.
3. Do we REALLY need to break out his stats against Texas? For even more fun, we could compare contrast his #s with VYs in the Texas/ag game.

#11 ·
HookEm said:
1. Fran has a track record all right......running out of town when the $$$ gets waived.
2. Sick of hearing how great RM is in big games. Here's a newsflash: He's been on the bad end of a blowout in EVERY big game he's played in. 3 games against UT, 1 Cotton Bowl: 0-4.
3. Do we REALLY need to break out his stats against Texas? For even more fun, we could compare contrast his #s with VYs in the Texas/ag game.
not taking anyone's side, but RM did come in and lead a&m over OU.

#12 · (Edited)
I don't know how you can say VY is a better QB . . . he's got the better team, and yet Reg has SCOREBOARD!

2004 Season:
QB Rating: 137.4-RM ; 128.4-VY Advantage Reg
Comp %: 58.1%-RM ; 59.2%-VY Advantage Vince
Yards: 2791-RM ; 1849-VY Advantage Reg
Yards/Attempt: 8.1-RM ; 7.4-VY Advantage Reg
Yards/Game: 232.6-RM ; 154.1-VY Advantage Reg
TD: 14-RM ; 12-VY Advantage Reg
Interceptions: 4-RM ; 11-VY Advantage Reg
Sacks: 23-RM ; 9-VY Advantage Texas O-LINE

That should be the end of it until the season starts, then Reg will keep Scoreboarding VY.

#13 ·
I'm thinking of the movie The Princess Bride, in regards to the word scoreboard and your use of it: "I do not think it means what you think it means."

Who Needs 8 said:
I don't know how you can say VY is a better QB . . . he's got the better team, and yet Reg has SCOREBOARD!

2004 Season:
QB Rating: 137.4-RM ; 128.4-VY Advantage Reg
Comp %: 58.1%-RM ; 59.2%-VY Advantage Vince
Yards: 2791-RM ; 1849-VY Advantage Reg
Yards/Attempt: 8.1-RM ; 7.4-VY Advantage Reg
Yards/Game: 232.6-RM ; 154.1-VY Advantage Reg
TD: 14-RM ; 12-VY Advantage Reg
Interceptions: 4-RM ; 11-VY Advantage Reg
Sacks: 23-RM ; 9-VY Advantage Texas O-LINE

That should be the end of it until the season starts, then Reg will keep Scoreboarding VY.

Attachments

#14 ·
HookEm said:
I'm thinking of the movie The Princess Bride, in regards to the word scoreboard and your use of it: "I do not think it means what you think it means."
No, it means Reggie Owns Young.

#15 ·

BTW: Reggie doesnt play defense, so you can't blame him.

#16 ·
unkoricky said:
BTW: Reggie doesnt play defense, so you can't blame him.

The offense scored 6 points last year.
15 the previous year, so, who's fault is that?

And the Texas-OU score is about as relevant to this as the OU USC score.....

#17 ·
Who Needs 8 said:
No, it means Reggie Owns Young.

46-15
26-13
VY, 2 Ws

RM 0 Ws, 0 TD's in 2004, and a mere 15 points in '03.

#18 ·
HookEm said:
The offense scored 6 points last year.
15 the previous year, so, who's fault is that?

And the Texas-OU score is about as relevant to this as the OU USC score.....
Can't be ,we were playing for a national Championship, while you guys were playing for the default bowl.

#19 ·
unkoricky said:
Can't be ,we were playing for a national Championship, while you guys were playing for the default bowl.

No you weren't. First of all, it's a MYTHICAL National Championship. Secondly, playing for indicates that the game was ever in question: it clearly wasn't. IIRC, Texas and Meat Chicken played in what many consider the most exciting Rose Bowl game ever. Meanwhile, Dirt Burgular was getting bown out, with the game decided before the end of the first half. You've got plenty to hang your hat on...no sense in chasing down a moral victory. Besides, again, what DOES this have to do with VY and RM?

#20 · (Edited)
HookEm said:
No you weren't. First of all, it's a MYTHICAL National Championship. Secondly, playing for indicates that the game was ever in question: it clearly wasn't. IIRC, Texas and Meat Chicken played in what many consider the most exciting Rose Bowl game ever. Meanwhile, Dirt Burgular was getting bown out, with the game decided before the end of the first half. You've got plenty to hang your hat on...no sense in chasing down a moral victory. Besides, again, what DOES this have to do with VY and RM?
:p You were just comparing scoreboards, so i decided also.

Reggie never scored on you guys?
Same goes for Vince trying to score on OU.
Oh wait he did score on OU, 1 running td, when was the last time you guys threw a td pass against us?
VY also handed us 14 points in the 03 game.

#21 ·
i was comparing score boards of VY and RM.
I have all the respect in the world for the team outta Norman. Until Texas can take care of bidness in Dallas, all the talent in the world means nada. I do like Texas D this year, and I do believe the opponent Texas needs to conquer at the RRS is a demon in their head....guess we'll see in about 6 weeks.

unkoricky said:
:p You were just comparing scoreboards, so i decided also.

Reggie never scored on you guys?
Same goes for Vince trying to score on OU.
Oh wait he did score on OU, 1 running td, when was the last time you guys threw a td pass against us?
VY also handed us 14 points in the 03 game.

#22 ·
HookEm said:
46-15
26-13
VY, 2 Ws

RM 0 Ws, 0 TD's in 2004, and a mere 15 points in '03.
Jesus Christ, A PLAYERS ABILITY CAN NOT BE JUDGED BY TWO FUCKING GAMES, YOU FUCKING DOUCHE BAG!!!!

Reggie is a better QUARTERBACK. Young is a better HALFBACK. PERIOD.

#23 ·
HookEm said:
Gee Wally... I thought there were a few more people on the field at any given time.

McNeal has to bring a pop gun (his first year as QB, 30% of the A&M's travelling team was non-scholarship)

Young has a machine gun.

This season...

We will watch McNeal become a better quaterback a progression that has been evident since his first snap at A&M.

We will also watch Young improve. I understand he is going for the record number of interceptions by a UT quarterback this year.

#24 ·
:p I guess we will seee in 6 weeks, but you'll just see flash backs because Texas best chance is next season, not this one.

Reggie is the more polished qb of th two.
Vince can win games on his feet and having a good defense.
I like VY, i cant wait for him to prove the scouts wrong about him being a wr in the NFL.. VY will stay till he graduates and he should be a polished qb with this arm by then.FOr now, i'll take Reggie

#25 ·
Yeah, RM was phenomenal against Texas, Baylor, and Tennessee. VY was good enuff to carry the team in the Rose. RM couldnt carry VYs jockstrap with that putrid performance in the Cotton. Maybe VY will invite RM to accompany him to the Heisman presentation? VY may not win it, but he'll be in the top 5.

01WhiteCobra said:
Gee Wally... I thought there were a few more people on the field at any given time.

McNeal has to bring a pop gun (his first year as QB, 30% of the A&M's travelling team was non-scholarship)

Young has a machine gun.

This season...

We will watch McNeal become a better quaterback a progression that has been evident since his first snap at A&M.

We will also watch Young improve. I understand he is going for the record number of interceptions by a UT quarterback this year.

#26 ·
Polished QBs generally don't lay down and assume the fetal position when linebackers run toward them, a la RM in the Texas-Aggy game.

As to the RRS, guess we'll see. I'll be watching it at the timeshare in Holly Lake thsi year....5 yrs at home, 5 Ls.....never seen em lose out there, so i'll take every bit of luck i can for that game.

unkoricky said:
:p I guess we will seee in 6 weeks, but you'll just see flash backs because Texas best chance is next season, not this one.

Reggie is the more polished qb of th two.
Vince can win games on his feet and having a good defense.
I like VY, i cant wait for him to prove the scouts wrong about him being a wr in the NFL.. VY will stay till he graduates and he should be a polished qb with this arm by then.FOr now, i'll take Reggie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.