NHL no longer on ESPN - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Thumbs up NHL no longer on ESPN

For those who don't know, Hockey is moving to OLN. ESPN did not match the offer and pulled out of the deal. I for one and glad ESPN did not get hockey again. They've done nothing to market the sport properly and have always put it on the backburner behind poker and othe crappy sports like WNBA.

The OLN bid, according to sources, also includes a provision that Comcast offer NHL shoulder programming and some games On Demand to its 22 million subscribers, and would also include a broadband component, including possible video streaming of NHL games. Hockey was nothing more than a redheaded step child to Hockey. Maybe with this move, hockey can grow and over time, stop being last in ratings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Boostaholic

I just wish OLN had an HD channel I can't wait though for the season to begin! Now FSN just needs to get an HD channel and i'll be set

98 GS-T 350/310 on pumpgas
04 Sonic Blue GT (Sold)
04 Black Cobra MPH 76mm Turbo 800/708
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DSM
I just wish OLN had an HD channel I can't wait though for the season to begin! Now FSN just needs to get an HD channel and i'll be set
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view...l&UserDef=true

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
lol, this place sucks now

OLN is the leader in competitive and adrenaline-charged content. Now in more than 64 million homes, OLN is the cable home of the National Hockey League and best-in-class events like The Tour de France, The America’s Cup, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), the Boston Marathon and USSA Skiing. The network offers unique programming in four primary areas: Action Sports, Field Sports, Bulls & Rodeo and Awe-Inspiring Series, and is the exclusive home of Survivor in syndication. OLN, a wholly owned company of Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK), is distributed via cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States.

I am on the fence about this. I just hope hockey doesn't take a back seat the bull riding or bicycle racing now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:18 PM
lol, this place sucks now

... OLN better be part of the package I already subscribe to as well or I'm gonna be REAL pissed of
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Trucks are slow

I liked Barry Melrose, but Bill Clement is a beatdown
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
OLN is the leader in competitive and adrenaline-charged content. Now in more than 64 million homes, OLN is the cable home of the National Hockey League and best-in-class events like The Tour de France, The America’s Cup, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), the Boston Marathon and USSA Skiing. The network offers unique programming in four primary areas: Action Sports, Field Sports, Bulls & Rodeo and Awe-Inspiring Series, and is the exclusive home of Survivor in syndication. OLN, a wholly owned company of Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK), is distributed via cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States.

I am on the fence about this. I just hope hockey doesn't take a back seat the bull riding or bicycle racing now.
The way OLN is already marketing this, I would say it will not take a back seat. They seem to be using this as their front runner and to put them on the map in the sports world. I would have to imagine that they will attempt to expand the service. ESPN just wasn't doing anything with hockey and after getting the same 4 teams once a week, i'm glad to see they didn't get it. The only thing I will miss is NHL2night
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
... OLN better be part of the package I already subscribe to as well or I'm gonna be REAL pissed of
OLN is a basic cable, i think. its in all the rooms here at my parents house and they only have digital in the family room, so you should get it.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

I don't have a problem with it, as long as OLN doesn't bump AMA Motocross on Saturdays for some bullshit ass hockey game.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRunner
I liked Barry Melrose, but Bill Clement is a beatdown
Are you kidding me? Barry Melrose is a tool....him and his stupid suits too.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
FPE - Full Plumber Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
The only thing I will miss is NHL2night
they will still have it i am sure. They have nbatonight and don't play their games
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottEvil
they will still have it i am sure. They have nbatonight and don't play their games
Actually I was reading that NHL2Night was axed at the end of last season. We have guys on the Kings board emailing John Buccigross and Barry Melrose about joining OLN and they've actually been responding with "Tell that to OLN!"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:15 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
For those who don't know, Hockey is moving to OLN. ESPN did not match the offer and pulled out of the deal. I for one and glad ESPN did not get hockey again. They've done nothing to market the sport properly and have always put it on the backburner behind poker and othe crappy sports like WNBA.
Sort of hard to market it when they weren't playing the damn game.

Poker has a much wider audience and probably makes them a ton more anyway.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Sort of hard to market it when they weren't playing the damn game.

Poker has a much wider audience and probably makes them a ton more anyway.
The problem was prevelant prior to the 2003/2004 season. My point as that over the past decade, ESPN has done nothing to help the game grow. It's always been on their backburner.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
The problem was prevelant prior to the 2003/2004 season. My point as that over the past decade, ESPN has done nothing to help the game grow. It's always been on their backburner.
I don't know much about the sport. I'll blame that on ESPN. ;-)

I watched it when the Stars were making the playoffs. The playoffs take way too long and there isn't enough break between the seasons.

How big is the market? How many fans in the US? I'm sure that has something to do with their decision not to come over the top with a bid.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I don't know much about the sport. I'll blame that on ESPN. ;-)

I watched it when the Stars were making the playoffs. The playoffs take way too long and there isn't enough break between the seasons.

How big is the market? How many fans in the US? I'm sure that has something to do with their decision not to come over the top with a bid.
Well here's how you have to look at it. Nascar use to have a very small following primarily in the south, hence the "redneck sport" label. Same with hockey, only it's in the north and minus the redneck label of course. Thanks to marketing and planning by it's network, Nascar has exploded in popularity. Most people don't like hockey because they dont' understand it or it's too boring if they do watch it because of the goalies wearing oversized pads and the damn trap defense, along with the out of control clutching and grabbing. Well, the new rules this year should definately change the boring aspect of it. Now lets hope OLN takes care of the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement