Finley has been waived - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
The Stock Vert Club

Finley has been waived

Kind of sucks to see him go... I don't understand why none of the proposed trades didn't work. I thought he wasn't good as a starter, but I was kind of looking forward to him being the 6th man. I guess it would suck to pay someone $51million to come off the bench. Oh well... I think the Mavs are in a little better shape with Christie. Watch Finley go and have an amazing season though, it wouldn't suprise me at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
The Stock Vert Club

Associated Press

DALLAS -- Michael Finley was waived late Monday night by the Dallas Mavericks, who took advantage of a one-time amnesty provision that will allow them to avoid luxury taxes on the $51.8 million owed their captain over the next three seasons.
Finley becomes an unrestricted free agent and is still guaranteed the money from his Mavericks contract, plus whatever he gets from a new team.

The Mavs spent all day Monday exploring trade options, and waited until just before the late-night deadline to release Finley and take advantage of the provision in the NBA's new labor agreement.

"This is the hardest part of our business," said Donnie Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations. "Mike and I started out in Phoenix together, got reunited here and obviously he was a key part in rebuilding this franchise. ... To share memories like that, it's been a very difficult several weeks for this franchise."

The Mavs avoid a dollar-for-dollar tax on Finley's $15.9 million salary for the 2005-06 season. The two-time All-Star is due $17.3 million and $18.6 million over the final two seasons of the seven-year contract owner Mark Cuban gave him in 2001.

"Just what he's meant on and off the court, he's impacted every one from fans to the front office," Nelson said. "Ultimately, it's our responsibility to do what's in the best interest of the Dallas Mavericks, but Michael has a special place in Mark's heart, my heart, and a special place in the franchise. At the end of the day, this just feels right."

Finley isn't eligible to re-sign with the Mavericks until his original contract expires after the 2007-08 season, when he will be 35.

Finley was traded to Dallas from Phoenix on Dec. 26, 1996, and was the longest-tenured player for the Mavericks. He averaged 19.8 points for the Mavs in 626 games the past 81/2 seasons.

The Mavericks apparently already found a new veteran swingman, having reportedly agreed with Doug Christie on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Christie was waived Thursday by the Orlando Magic under the same amnesty clause. If no team claims him by Thursday, he'll be a free agent. The Mavs wouldn't sign him before then.

Finley was an All-Star before Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki, then the trio became known as the "Big Three" -- taking the Mavericks from one of the league's worst teams to having at least 50 wins and going to the playoffs four straight seasons. Nash left as a free agent last summer and joined the Suns.

This past season, Finley had some of the worst averages in his 10 NBA seasons, scoring 15.7 points a game -- his lowest in Dallas. He shot 42.7 percent from the field and averaged a career-low 4.1 rebounds.

Finley averaged at least 20 points a game in his first five full seasons in Dallas, but his scoring average has dropped in each of the past five years since his career-high 22.6 in 1999-00.

Still, Finley is the Mavs career leader in 3-pointers (870) and 3-point field goal attempts (2,316), fourth in points (12,389), sixth in rebounds (3,245), fifth in assists (2,393), fourth in field goals made (4,834), second in steals (748), fourth in games played (626), third in games started (606), and third in minutes played (24,878).

Finley had arthroscopic surgery in June to remove bone chips from his right ankle, which bothered him most of the season and even made him miss 15 games before Christmas. The surgery was successful, and he should be fully recovered by the start of training camp.

Christie, who played for the Sacramento Kings before being traded to the Magic in January, will get $8.2 million from Orlando. He's also played for the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors, averaging 11.4 points and 1.9 steals per game over his career.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Rolling with the homies

That sucks I really liked Finley (and Nash and Eddie ).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Very Interesting

it's about time they let Finley go
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 AM
Raiden Wins

I always wish we still had Van Excel.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
parts pusher

yeah finley turned into to much of a jump shot shooter..you use to drive and slash to the hole..

Looking for a 1986 mustang gt....
1996 Mystic Cobra (Chamillionare) #1224 of 2000

2006 13.50 index Texas Fastest Streetcar Shootout Champion
2008 13.00 index Texas Fastest Streetcar Shootout Runner-up
2008 Champion "Grocery Getter" class at the DFWstangs Summer Cruise

214-881-4030 Car-less Chris Hotline
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:20 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Well thanx for the tuff years Fin.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard

Definatly.

Finley will probably come back and join the mav's greats that sit behind the bench.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:58 PM
PC HATER!!

Go Spurs!!!

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
-forrest gump

[IMG]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRedStang
Kind of sucks to see him go... I don't understand why none of the proposed trades didn't work. I thought he wasn't good as a starter, but I was kind of looking forward to him being the 6th man. I guess it would suck to pay someone $51million to come off the bench.
Well then it is really going to suck to pay him $51 to play for another team...

You still have to pay him his money and it still counts against your cap. The only thing it saves you is his salary against the luxury tax....

2001 GT--Sold
[email protected]

91 Prelude 2.0 Si w/112k miles for sale or trade
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM
gear jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
We could still get him.He was released by Portland a few weeks ago.
His best days are behind him like Finley's.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
CHAMPION

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
No shit........I've been wanting this to happen for the past 3 or 4 years.

He will probably have a all-star year just like every other player that leaves.

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I can't wait till you Mav fans realize how good of a player Finley really is. He may come up missing in the Playoffs like alot of other players do, but he's still one of the most athletic outside shooters in the league. I hope the Spurs sign him because he would be perfect off the bench. Dallas sure did get better letting go of him and signing Doug & Jackie Christie.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I can't wait till you Mav fans realize how good of a player Finley really is. He may come up missing in the Playoffs like alot of other players do, but he's still one of the most athletic outside shooters in the league. I hope the Spurs sign him because he would be perfect off the bench. Dallas sure did get better letting go of him and signing Doug & Jackie Christie.
I agree. I'm sad to see him go, more so than Nash. He was here through crappy years. He was starting to trail off a bit, since he was driving the lane as much, but still a very solid player none the less.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:22 PM
gear jammer

I wont miss him and his 1-15 playoff performances anymore.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:31 PM
T-MINUS

I can't stand Christie. Everytime he throws his hand in the air I want to destroy him.
Finley seemed like a good guy, on and off the court.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Success!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement