Talk about someone still holding on - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Television taste funny

Talk about someone still holding on

On the Tollway today I saw a guy with the license plate that said "NO GOAL".

I did not get a pic, but his license plate frame was for the Buffalo Sabres and he had a few Sabres stickers on his vehicle. Amazing

Texas plates BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Haha thats freaking greatness.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Thumbs up

Awesome.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Recovering Lush

Geez...some people just wont take defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MYSTIC
On the Tollway today I saw a guy with the license plate that said "NO GOAL".

I did not get a pic, but his license plate frame was for the Buffalo Sabres and he had a few Sabres stickers on his vehicle. Amazing

Texas plates BTW

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Geez...some people just wont take defeat.

I'm so sure the fans of Dallas would have taken things lighthearted had the Finals been taken from them on a bad call.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Large Member

That sucks, good thing this isnt Colubmia. That referee would be dead.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I'm so sure the fans of Dallas would have taken things lighthearted had the Finals been taken from them on a bad call.
Do you live here? You talk shit on every Dallas sports team there is....

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayasuma
Do you live here? You talk shit on every Dallas sports team there is....
Sadly, I do live here but i'm working on that. I didn't hate all the teams here until I got here. The fans are what make me hate the teams here. The ridiculous remarks, statements, predictions, etc are enough to drive me insane. I mean really, we have several people on this board who would rather have Dirk Nowitzi over Kevin Garnett, an MVP, arguably the best player in the league, better offensively, defensively, better stats, yet this bunch doesn't see that. Blind Loyalty. And don't even get me started on how quickly you guys jump ship as soon as you start losing. When I moved here, I could not locate a Mavs fan or Stars fan, then they started winning, now everyone is a fan. I went to Ranger games and Stars game when I first moved here, stands were virtually empty. I would try to get people to go, "no they suck" was the chant. Cowboys, after 2 losing seasons in the late 90's, all I heard was "i hate the cowboys because of Jerry Jones, I root for *insert team* now". Fairweather fans and the ones that aren't, have extreme blind loyalty. There is no happy medium here.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:24 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I'm not really a fairweather fan, but I'll root for the hometeam if they're in the playoffs or what not. I keep track of two teams in professional sports: Edmonton Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Too busy to keep up with every other team, not to mention individual stats.. I just don't see how some of you guys do it..

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
gear jammer

I find the "blind loyalty" to be the worse on this board with college football

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayasuma
I'm not really a fairweather fan, but I'll root for the hometeam if they're in the playoffs or what not. I keep track of two teams in professional sports: Edmonton Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Too busy to keep up with every other team, not to mention individual stats.. I just don't see how some of you guys do it..
Don't get me wrong. I don't knock these guys for rooting for these teams, it's the way they go about it. If you are born here, I expect you to root for the home team, just maintain a sense of reality while you are pulling for your team.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
I find the "blind loyalty" to be the worse on this board with college football
I usually stay out of the college football arguments since i'm not big on college sports. I'm glad I do, those debates get very heated.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Recovering Lush

If Gretzky called it a goal, it was a goal. He knows hockey, more so than you are me, or anyone else on this board.

Buffalo got knocked out in 6 games....it wasn't like it was a game 7 or something......Dallas controleld the entire series.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
If Gretzky called it a goal, it was a goal. He knows hockey, more so than you are me, or anyone else on this board.

Buffalo got knocked out in 6 games....it wasn't like it was a game 7 or something......Dallas controleld the entire series.
The series was 3-2 and game 6 was in triple overtime, I wouldn't call that "controlled the entire series". As for the Gretzky comment, thats ridiculous, he's never been the guy to make a comment that goes against the commissioner or will make the league look bad. It would be bad publicity for the NHL for him to come out and say the league fucked up because of who he is. The league made it legal to score from the crease the following season. That move right there just goes to show they fucked up and knew it. If it was a legal goal, why change the rule?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Recovering Lush

I think it's just your (self admitted) blind hate toward all things Dallas that makes you arrive at your conclusion about that series. With the exception of a few lunatic fringe Buffalo fans, the sports world as a whole accepts it as a legal goal. It was a legal goal under the rules in play at the time, and nothing will ever change that......it goes in the books as yet another championship for the city of Dallas, end of story.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
I think it's just your (self admitted) blind hate toward all things Dallas that makes you arrive at your conclusion about that series. With the exception of a few lunatic fringe Buffalo fans, the sports world as a whole accepts it as a legal goal. It was a legal goal under the rules in play at the time, and nothing will ever change that......it goes in the books as yet another championship for the city of Dallas, end of story.
It was not a legal goal!!! Here is the rule before it was changed
Rule 78 section (b): "Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed"
Why is that so hard for Dallas fans to understand?

Here is a quote from one of the refs that night "I pointed at the net indicating that the puck had gone in, it crossed the goal line, but I was not sure Hull wasn't in the crease" Terry Gregson-NHL ref

When Lindy Ruff ask Bettman why the play was not reviewed, he just turned his back on Lindy and gave no answer. Yea, sounds legit to me.

The world accepts it? Sports Illustrated refused to put the Stars on the cover not to mention the countless individuals who spoke out at the time.

"The NHL held up games moe than 200 times for crease reviews during that regular season, yet for reasons unknown, Bryan Lewis and his staff let Brett Hulls goal stand. They just left piece of their credibility on the ice." Steve Dryden EIC of Hockey news
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Its these types of incidents that has created the hate. I didn't just wake up and hate all things Dallas, bullshit like this is what done it.

"The Nhl would never admit that allowing the goal was a mistake. To admit that would invalidate Dallas's title. Remember, league personnel refuse to admit ANY mistakes, even small ones, and they are always on the defensieve. Thats how the NHL operates. It puts a spin on almost everything, which everone sees right through." Kostya Kennedy Sports Illustrated.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

"The same passion for hockey leads to outrage because the NHL seems to make up the rules as it goes along, as in Brett Hull's dubious Stanley cup winning goal early Sunday morning...the final goal, which was ruled legit because of an arcane and debateable rule regarding possession of the puck that on one has ever seen invoked. In truth, it would have been too embarrassing to call it back and halt the stars celebrations. Credibility was sacrificed for convenience." Harlene Elliott, Los Angeles Times
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Recovering Lush

Per SI:
NHL officials supervisor Bryan Lewis said Hull's goal counted because he maintained possession of the puck from the time he played it beyond the crease. "A puck that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post, an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession," Lewis said. "Therefore, Hull would be deemed to be in control of the puck, allowed to shoot and score a goal, even though the one foot would be in the crease in advance of the puck."

Official explains why goal counts

Click here for more on this story
Posted: Tuesday June 22, 1999 07:47 PM

The Buffalo Sabres claimed it was an illegal goal because Hull (right) had his skate in the crease. Rick Stewart/Allsport

BUFFALO, N.Y. (CNN/SI) -- No time is good for a goal controversy. But the sixth and final game of the Stanley Cup finals -- well into triple overtime -- is one of the worst.

The NHL's official response: This one counts because the player had full control of the puck.

Brett Hull scored to give Dallas a 2-1 victory in triple overtime and the Stanley Cup championship, but the Buffalo Sabres claimed it was an illegal goal because Hull had his skate in the crease.

Bryan Lewis, the NHL's director of officiating, said the goal counted because Hull "had control of the puck, and it didn't matter that his skate was in the crease."

"We determined that Hull played the puck, had possession of the puck and the goal was good," Lewis said.

"His foot was in first. Our immediate reaction was that it didn't matter. Our view was that he had control. Hull was in possession and control of the puck."

The NHL has been studying the possibility of changing the rule. The rule disallows a goal if an offensive player has any part of his body in the goalie crease.

Lewis, appearing at a news conference, insisted that Hull had possession of the puck, even though it bounced off Buffalo goaltender Dominik Hasek. He said as soon as the goal was scored, off-ice officials immediately went to the video replay for a review.

"Every such goal has been reviewed by the NHL since the start of the season, including this one," Lewis said.

Quote:
It was not a legal goal!!! Here is the rule before it was changed
Rule 78 section (b): "Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed"
Why is that so hard for Dallas fans to understand?

Here is a quote from one of the refs that night "I pointed at the net indicating that the puck had gone in, it crossed the goal line, but I was not sure Hull wasn't in the crease" Terry Gregson-NHL ref

When Lindy Ruff ask Bettman why the play was not reviewed, he just turned his back on Lindy and gave no answer. Yea, sounds legit to me.

The world accepts it? Sports Illustrated refused to put the Stars on the cover not to mention the countless individuals who spoke out at the time.

"The NHL held up games moe than 200 times for crease reviews during that regular season, yet for reasons unknown, Bryan Lewis and his staff let Brett Hulls goal stand. They just left piece of their credibility on the ice." Steve Dryden EIC of Hockey news

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Recovering Lush

And Dallas=the NHL? Please....the NHL hates the southern teams succeeding.

Quote:
Its these types of incidents that has created the hate. I didn't just wake up and hate all things Dallas, bullshit like this is what done it.

"The Nhl would never admit that allowing the goal was a mistake. To admit that would invalidate Dallas's title. Remember, league personnel refuse to admit ANY mistakes, even small ones, and they are always on the defensieve. Thats how the NHL operates. It puts a spin on almost everything, which everone sees right through." Kostya Kennedy Sports Illustrated.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Per SI:
NHL officials supervisor Bryan Lewis said Hull's goal counted because he maintained possession of the puck from the time he played it beyond the crease. "A puck that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post, an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession," Lewis said. "Therefore, Hull would be deemed to be in control of the puck, allowed to shoot and score a goal, even though the one foot would be in the crease in advance of the puck."

Official explains why goal counts

Click here for more on this story
Posted: Tuesday June 22, 1999 07:47 PM

The Buffalo Sabres claimed it was an illegal goal because Hull (right) had his skate in the crease. Rick Stewart/Allsport

BUFFALO, N.Y. (CNN/SI) -- No time is good for a goal controversy. But the sixth and final game of the Stanley Cup finals -- well into triple overtime -- is one of the worst.

The NHL's official response: This one counts because the player had full control of the puck.

Brett Hull scored to give Dallas a 2-1 victory in triple overtime and the Stanley Cup championship, but the Buffalo Sabres claimed it was an illegal goal because Hull had his skate in the crease.

Bryan Lewis, the NHL's director of officiating, said the goal counted because Hull "had control of the puck, and it didn't matter that his skate was in the crease."

"We determined that Hull played the puck, had possession of the puck and the goal was good," Lewis said.

"His foot was in first. Our immediate reaction was that it didn't matter. Our view was that he had control. Hull was in possession and control of the puck."

The NHL has been studying the possibility of changing the rule. The rule disallows a goal if an offensive player has any part of his body in the goalie crease.

Lewis, appearing at a news conference, insisted that Hull had possession of the puck, even though it bounced off Buffalo goaltender Dominik Hasek. He said as soon as the goal was scored, off-ice officials immediately went to the video replay for a review.

"Every such goal has been reviewed by the NHL since the start of the season, including this one," Lewis said.
Possession or not, the rule does not say "if you have possession it's ok to score from the crease" it clearly states that if you are in the crease and are of the attacking side, and the goal goes in, it's not a goal." I remember distinctly seeing a player of the florida panthers kick a goal into his own net but it was disallowed because the other team had a guy in the crease. Lewis was just trying to cover his ass.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Recovering Lush

Sorry, but I suspect LEwis' knowledge of the rulebook is somewhat greater than yours. The goal was scored, reviewed, and found to be good.

BTW, I've never heard of your SI claim...not that i don't believe you, but that sounds interesting....got a link? I suspect IF SI did do that, it wasnt out of nobility, but more likely, shock value, to drive up sales.

Quote:
Possession or not, the rule does not say "if you have possession it's ok to score from the crease" it clearly states that if you are in the crease and are of the attacking side, and the goal goes in, it's not a goal." I remember distinctly seeing a player of the florida panthers kick a goal into his own net but it was disallowed because the other team had a guy in the crease. Lewis was just trying to cover his ass.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Sorry, but I suspect LEwis' knowledge of the rulebook is somewhat greater than yours. The goal was scored, reviewed, and found to be good.

BTW, I've never heard of your SI claim...not that i don't believe you, but that sounds interesting....got a link? I suspect IF SI did do that, it wasnt out of nobility, but more likely, shock value, to drive up sales.
The other refs didn't exactly jump forward to assist him in his claims.
My argument about the rule comes from other sports figures and a direct quote of the rule book it's self.

As far as a link, I'll see what I can do. I gathered all the info back after it happened and that was over 5 years ago.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:

Here's the 1st issue that came out (6 days after it all ended) after it ended. There is a write up but they put the NBA on the cover. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...cover/99/0628/

NHL FINALS
The Bitter End
A dubious goal gave the Dallas Stars the Stanley Cup and tarnished what had been the best final series in years
By Michael Farber

Here are all the covers from that year.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea.../archive/1999/
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
exactly. It wasn't even game 7. Dallas would've put them away anyway.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:44 AM

who gives a shit anyway? its stupid ass hockey.
Go Mavs, and Go Cowboys!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:

Hollywood, I know you and I have disagreed over this same topic only 5 or 6 times in the last 5 years . But I distinctly remember the game and the shot happening. The way I recall it (and I havnet seen the game since it happened) Hull used the skate that was in the crease, his left I think, to kick the rebound over to his right (shooting) side. Albeit the puck went outside of the crease while his foot remained in, his goal was allowed because he had complete possesion of the puck.

A current example: A player may HIMSELF be offside in bringing the puck into the offensive zone, as long as he has complete possesion of the puck and no other players from his team are offside.

-RyanB
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Lifer

I have lived in Fort Worth my whole life and support all local pro sports teams. I support them even more when they win. Why would a //insert pro team here// fan continue to go to the game when they are putting out an inferior product? If the owner makes money regardless of how the team performs, why not put a bunch of losers in there, take the profits and go home? At what point does blind loyalty equate to stupidity? 10 years without a title? 20 years? 30 years? Or more?

I say the fan who supports a PROFESSIONAL team without ever holding the team accountable, since it is really a business not a sport, is the stupid one, not us fans who support are teams when they win, and complain when they lose.

Hell, they made a movie making fun of Red Sox fans for their undying support. You could add the Packers fans, Bears fans, Yankee fans, and several others to the list also.

College sports is a whole other animal, so I made my argument specific to pro teams.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement