Cuban says he wouldn't trade for Garnett - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
gear jammer

Cuban says he wouldn't trade for Garnett

I call BS on this one.If given the chance, Kevin Garnett is one player i would let Dirk go for.

Cuban denies Garnett report

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban on Sunday denied a report that the Mavs are interested in trading for Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett, calling it "pure speculation on the writer's part.''

The New York Daily News reported in Sunday's editions that the Mavericks would "happily move everyone short of Don Nelson fave Dirk Nowitzki to get the deal done" with Minnesota.

Cuban, however, said in an e-mail that his team has not made an offer for Garnett and is not trying to acquire the five-time all-star.

"But if he were offered to us, we obviously would have to consider it,'' Cuban said in the e-mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Lifer

why is this even brought up at a time in the season when it CANT happen.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Recovering Lush

I dunno...I don't think I'd do it. Dirk is a litle younger, and had a higher PPG this year, on a team with many more offensive weapons. The rest of their stats pretty much match up, but I believe Dirk has had a bit more success in the playoffs, though I could be wrong. Dirk isnt going anywhere......that's Cuban's boy.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I dunno...I don't think I'd do it. Dirk is a litle younger, and had a higher PPG this year, on a team with many more offensive weapons. The rest of their stats pretty much match up, but I believe Dirk has had a bit more success in the playoffs, though I could be wrong. Dirk isnt going anywhere......that's Cuban's boy.
You guys are crazy. I'd take Garnett over Dirk any day. Dirk has a better team around him inflating his stats, not to mention Garnett is a much better defensive player. Aside from stats, he's a better leader as well.
Garnett has been the number 1 rated player in the league for 3 years. Dirk is considered just a top 10 player. Fantasy basketball is all about stats, therefore players are drafted based on their stats. With that said, lets look at that world since emphasis is on stats and thats part of the topic. Garnett is the first player taken in over 98% of those Drafts, Dirk is a top 10 usually falling to 5 or later. He did finish the year as the #5 ranked player, Garnett finished as the number 1 rated player.
Individual Accomplishments
Garnett:
2000 All-NBA First Team Member
2000 All-Defense First Team Member
1999 All-NBA Third Team Member
2000, 1998, 1997 All-Star Team Member
1996 All-Rookie Second Team Member

Dirk: Unable to find his.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Don't forget KG was MVP last year.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Too bad KG didn't do shit this year and his team is sitting at home while Dirk and the Mavs are in the second round.

If he was so badass he would have picked up the slack on his team and they would have made it.

We'll not even get into his playoff record because that could get ugly.

-1998 Cobra - Vortech SQ-Trim powered - BAD-SVT Jr.

459.1rwhp/368.5rwtq on 8#'s of boost

Upcoming mods: 2008 Mustang GT or 2003-up BMW M3
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
BOOMER SOONER!

The fans showed Cuban mercy when Nash left, don't know if it would be the same result letting Dirk leave Dallas.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Too bad KG didn't do shit this year and his team is sitting at home while Dirk and the Mavs are in the second round.

If he was so badass he would have picked up the slack on his team and they would have made it.

Look at their support casts. The Mavs wouldn't have done shit either if they had Latrell and Wally Scertewrgsfiacbk as their 2 go-to guys when Dirk was off.

Think about a lineup of Terry, Finley, Stack, KG, and Dampier with Van Horn, Daniels, and Howard coming off the bench. Mavs would be a bit more scary.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Time Served

i jsut dont think the fans would approve too much of the trade kg is alot more demanding of the ball than dirk is... but however mavs would llok alot better down low with kg and damp
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
The fans showed Cuban mercy when Nash left, don't know if it would be the same result letting Dirk leave Dallas.
I agree.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
If given the chance, Kevin Garnett is one player i would let Dirk go for.

W3RD
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom

Another Mav's fan living up to the stereotype of not having a clue as to what else is going on in the league. Do you have any freaking idea who plays with KG? Obviously not or you wouldn't have made that remark. Michael Jordon was the greatest of all time, but it wasn't until the support around him developed and matured till they went all the way.

Another point, Dirk isn't exactly carrying the Mav's right now in the playoffs. Its the supporting cast thats getting the job done.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
gear jammer

Garnett would look better than Nowitzki right now.
One person cannot win a championship.If so, the Lakers would win it this year.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
Garnett would look better than Nowitzki right now.
One person cannot win a championship.If so, the Lakers would win it this year.
But KG is a better player and a bigger threat to other teams. Who would be guarding KG in this series? Mavs would dominate.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Recovering Lush

So, if i undersand correctly......

KG is better because he has a worse supporting class, and still has a lower PPG total than Dirk.......something doesn't make sense there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Another Mav's fan living up to the stereotype of not having a clue as to what else is going on in the league. Do you have any freaking idea who plays with KG? Obviously not or you wouldn't have made that remark. Michael Jordon was the greatest of all time, but it wasn't until the support around him developed and matured till they went all the way.

Another point, Dirk isn't exactly carrying the Mav's right now in the playoffs. Its the supporting cast thats getting the job done.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Hollywood is a dumbass. If you are not a mavs hater, then to him you dont understand sports.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Im a hardcore Mavs fan. Dirk is awesome, but anyone that says they wouldnt trade him for KG is on crack. If garnet was in last nights game, we wouldnt of had any problems like people not going to the paint. Nobody in the league plays with his intensity. id do it in a minute.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpawl
Im a hardcore Mavs fan. Dirk is awesome, but anyone that says they wouldnt trade him for KG is on crack. If garnet was in last nights game, we wouldnt of had any problems like people not going to the paint. Nobody in the league plays with his intensity. id do it in a minute.
again, my question is this:

If Dirk is better because of the supporting casts......it would seem to reason that Dirk would lose a lot of ppg to said cast. The popular mindset is that KG is better, much better, due to his terrible supporting cast, which should mean, they (KG's staff) souldnt siphon any of his ppg off.......

so tell me how Dirk has a higher PPG avg?
Also, please refresh my memory about KGs playoff experience.....

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
AHMO!

i'd trade dirk for amare in a heartbeat lol.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
again, my question is this:
so tell me how Dirk has a higher PPG avg?
Also, please refresh my memory about KGs playoff experience.....
Dirk shots the 3 better (or at least he did before the playoffs), KG's playoff experience is prob. about equal to Dirks, unless you count the fact that he came from the ghetto, and played to get out of it. Which also has to give him a more aggressive style than Dirk. The point is the Mavs need a dominate force that demands attention. Not a tall german that cant make his shot when the pressures high

dont mistake this for a Dirk bashing post. I think Dirk is a good ball player. Just stating that fact that I would prefer KG if given the chance, with the current team.

Last edited by bpawl; 05-10-2005 at 12:53 PM.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Lifer

I'd prefer to send Dampier and all our other big men packing...they're all scrubs and not worth half what we're paying them.

--wes
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Lifer

Mavs could use KG....Mavs would lose a 3 pt. threat....but they would gain a leader, big time defensive player and Eric D. would be a better player. But that trade will never happen..
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
So, if i undersand correctly......

KG is better because he has a worse supporting class, and still has a lower PPG total than Dirk.......something doesn't make sense there.
LOL, funny how the only stat you point out is the only one that Dirk has a substantially better percentage in. Why don't we talk about Rebounds? KG was number 1 in the league, Dirk 12. KG had a worse support cast but still put up better assist numbers. Need I go on? I think I will. KG shot .502 for the season, Dirk .459. KG is clearly the better defensive player, yet all you can talk about is a lousy the 4 points per game that Dirks puts up more than KG. I'll take the extra rebounds, blocked shots and assists that KG dishes out than the no d having Dirk and his 26 points.

Last edited by Hollywood; 05-10-2005 at 07:32 PM.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
Hollywood is a dumbass. If you are not a mavs hater, then to him you dont understand sports.
Gimme a break. As long as you guys are being bias and thinking that Dirk is better than the #1 rated player in the league because he's on your team, I will continue to give you guys a hard time. My cousin is a mavs fan, and even he thinks you guys are idiots.

Last edited by Hollywood; 05-10-2005 at 07:39 PM.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL, funny how the only stat you point out is the only one that Dirk has a substantially better percentage in. Why don't we talk about Rebounds? KG was number 1 in the league, Dirk 12. KG had a worse support cast but still put up better assist numbers. Need I go on? I think I will. KG shot .502 for the season, Dirk .459. KG is clearly the better defensive player, yet all you can talk about is a lousy the 4 points per game that Dirks puts up more than KG. I'll take the extra rebounds, blocked shots and assists that KG dishes out than the no d having Dirk and his 26 points.
You mean Dirk ISN'T the best player in the league?

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:25 PM
MFFL!

I'm a HUGE Dirk supporter, but if this trade was offered straight up, I think I'd have to go for it.

Does KG make Damp any better though? If Damp could just consistently get 10/10 and 2 blocks/ we'd be fine. Heck, 7pts/13-14 boards would be even better. We really don't need a scorer. If he gets that many boards - then we know his head is in the game - which has been a problem lately.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
so, he shot a whole 4% better........not exactl gettin a stiffy here. KG was a better rebounder, but Dirk was 12th in the league....not exactly chopped liver.
Trade away a player two yrs ynger than Garnett, for a 4% better shooter, that rebounds slightly better, but cant match his PPG?
Thanks, but no.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
so, he shot a whole 4% better........not exactl gettin a stiffy here. KG was a better rebounder, but Dirk was 12th in the league....not exactly chopped liver.
Trade away a player two yrs ynger than Garnett, for a 4% better shooter, that rebounds slightly better, but cant match his PPG?
Thanks, but no.
Stop looking at just the stats. Who is a more dominant player? How many people in the league can guard KG? The Mavs have more perimeter scorers than probably anyone else in the league, so what they lose in Dirk can be made up elsewhere. What they lack is a dominant presence in the paint and KG is one of the best in the league.

I bet think Dampier is better than Shaq too, right?

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Recovering Lush

What has he done in the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Stop looking at just the stats. Who is a more dominant player? How many people in the league can guard KG? The Mavs have more perimeter scorers than probably anyone else in the league, so what they lose in Dirk can be made up elsewhere. What they lack is a dominant presence in the paint and KG is one of the best in the league.

I bet think Dampier is better than Shaq too, right?
You bet think wrong, sparky.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Thanks, but no.
No, you are trading for a better shooter, better rebounder, better defender, better leader, and he dishes the ball better (more assists). I like how you conviently leave out part of the argument to try and make it look like it's an even match up. Save face and renig now.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
No, you are trading for a better shooter, better rebounder, better defender, better leader, and he dishes the ball better (more assists). I like how you conviently leave out part of the argument to try and make it look like it's an even match up. Save face and renig now.

what has he done in the playoffs?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
what has he done in the playoffs?
What has Dirk done in the playoffs?
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
What has Dirk done in the playoffs?
I'm guessing since I've asked that question some 1/2 dozen times, and it's been dodged some 1/2 dozen times, the answer is "not much."

With the exception of the first 2/3s of the H-town series, Dirk's game has always elevated in the playoffs.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
I'm guessing since I've asked that question some 1/2 dozen times, and it's been dodged some 1/2 dozen times, the answer is "not much."

With the exception of the first 2/3s of the H-town series, Dirk's game has always elevated in the playoffs.
Let's play
Garnett Playoff stats
G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
47 47 42.6 .458 .333 .761 2.90 10.50 13.40 5.0 1.34 1.87 3.43 3.20 22.3

Dirk Playoff Stats
48 48 42.2 .443 .410 .882 1.50 9.30 10.80 2.1 1.40 1.21 2.13 3.20 25.0

Can't wait to see that shooting percentage of Dirks drop even more after the 39% shooting in the Houston series.

You ask me what Garnett has done in the playoffs but from what I can see, he's still better than Dirk.

Now for more.

Garnett: Eight-time NBA All-Star Dirk Four-time NBA All-Star
Garnett 2003-04 NBA MVP Dirk....none
Garnett Six-time first team All-NBA Dirk 2003 All-NBA Second Team
2002 All-NBA Second Team
2001 All-NBA Third Team
Garnett Five-time All-Defensive Dirk Ranked sixth in NBA scoring
in 2002-with 25.1 ppg
Garnett The first NBA player to receive four Player of the Month honors in one season Has earned the award eight times in his career
Dirk MVP of the 2002 World Basketball Championships

Thats just about gonna do it for Dirks accomplishments, but we have more for Garnett.

Garmett On Feb. 2, named Player of the Week for the fourth time of the season and the 12th time in his career
Garmett MVP of the 52nd Annual All-Star Game in 2003
Garmett Four-time All-Interview
Garmett Has recorded 14 regular-season triple-doubles and two playoff triple-doubles
Garnett A member of the gold-medal-winning USA Men's Basketball team at the 2000 Olympic Games
Garnett Named to the 1995-96 NBA All-Rookie Second Team
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
gear jammer

Like i said in my original post, I am calling BS on this one.The Mavs would be fools not to make this trade.If it was offered, they would do it in a heartbeat barring any hangups on other players or salaries.
As for the fans not forgiving...who cares. Winning is what matters and makes fans forget. If we won it all this year nobody will miss Steve Nash.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Recovering Lush

Never quite understood how someone could get off on anotherr team losing.
I mean, there are certains teams that if they lose, i may smile a bit....but I'm not gonna tune in, hoping for doom and gloom. I have better things to do. To each his own, I suppose.
BTW, your stats dont reflect the difference between regular season stats and playoff stats..........what's the difference?

Quote:
Let's play
Garnett Playoff stats
G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
47 47 42.6 .458 .333 .761 2.90 10.50 13.40 5.0 1.34 1.87 3.43 3.20 22.3

Dirk Playoff Stats
48 48 42.2 .443 .410 .882 1.50 9.30 10.80 2.1 1.40 1.21 2.13 3.20 25.0

Can't wait to see that shooting percentage of Dirks drop even more after the 39% shooting in the Houston series.

You ask me what Garnett has done in the playoffs but from what I can see, he's still better than Dirk.

Now for more.

Garnett: Eight-time NBA All-Star Dirk Four-time NBA All-Star
Garnett 2003-04 NBA MVP Dirk....none
Garnett Six-time first team All-NBA Dirk 2003 All-NBA Second Team
2002 All-NBA Second Team
2001 All-NBA Third Team
Garnett Five-time All-Defensive Dirk Ranked sixth in NBA scoring
in 2002-with 25.1 ppg
Garnett The first NBA player to receive four Player of the Month honors in one season Has earned the award eight times in his career
Dirk MVP of the 2002 World Basketball Championships

Thats just about gonna do it for Dirks accomplishments, but we have more for Garnett.

Garmett On Feb. 2, named Player of the Week for the fourth time of the season and the 12th time in his career
Garmett MVP of the 52nd Annual All-Star Game in 2003
Garmett Four-time All-Interview
Garmett Has recorded 14 regular-season triple-doubles and two playoff triple-doubles
Garnett A member of the gold-medal-winning USA Men's Basketball team at the 2000 Olympic Games
Garnett Named to the 1995-96 NBA All-Rookie Second Team

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Never quite understood how someone could get off on anotherr team losing.
I mean, there are certains teams that if they lose, i may smile a bit....but I'm not gonna tune in, hoping for doom and gloom. I have better things to do. To each his own, I suppose.
BTW, your stats dont reflect the difference between regular season stats and playoff stats..........what's the difference?
The difference is marginal.
The evidence has been posted and frankly, there's no point in posting more numbers. I've posted enough to make anyone who knew nothing of either player to know who the better player was. I just can't understand how somebody, Mavs fan or not, cannot see that KG is the better player. That baffles me as much or more as my rooting against the teams here and getting enjoyment out of it.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
The difference is marginal.
The evidence has been posted and frankly, there's no point in posting more numbers. I've posted enough to make anyone who knew nothing of either player to know who the better player was. I just can't understand how somebody, Mavs fan or not, cannot see that KG is the better player. That baffles me as much or more as my rooting against the teams here and getting enjoyment out of it.
I see him as a somewhat better player....who's got 2 years on Dirk, yet has accomplished about the same in his playoff career. The trade will never, ever ,ever happen...Cuban would never trade Dirk.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement