De la hoya vs Hopkins - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

De la hoya vs Hopkins

anybody want to make some prediction's on the outcome of the fight? who will win? what round will the KO come in? will it be a decision? or some kind of F$cked up draw?

I personally think De la hoya will try to box and move from him but think he might try to stand a make a few mini brawls on the inside with Hopkins and that's when it will be all over for the Golden boy and hopkins will put him to sleep for the night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

toss up fight! if de la hoya boxes he wins! if de la hoya stands his ground and fight's.....Hopkins ko's him!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:58 PM
11-05-09

Somebody's got it against De La Hoya, with that said, if the fight goes to a decision, he's gonna lose. His only chance is to KO Hopkins.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Time Served

DLH all the way

Hoya with the upset !!! The way he was talking tonight during the interview , he basically said he is going to brawl and "people are going to be suprised" . I think Hoya will be able to hold his own against Hopkin's . I'm not seeing DLH getting KO'ed by Hopkin's anytime soon , but I have been wrong before
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:50 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman
Hoya with the upset !!! The way he was talking tonight during the interview , he basically said he is going to brawl and "people are going to be suprised" . I think Hoya will be able to hold his own against Hopkin's . I'm not seeing DLH getting KO'ed by Hopkin's anytime soon , but I have been wrong before

He said the same thing the last fight. Oh, and the one before that.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
He said the same thing the last fight. Oh, and the one before that.
Yes he did , and he wasn't lying . Was he ? He tried to sit there and trade with Sturm and what IMO got the worse of it ...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:06 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Yes he did , and he wasn't lying . Was he ? He tried to sit there and trade with Sturm and what IMO got the worse of it ...
Bah, I'm not expecting him to win if he goes to decision. Hopkins is not an easy person to knock out.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:10 AM
African Booty Scratcher

hopkins wins!!

did you see the way he destoyed felix trinidad. the executioner will will next saturday.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Its 9 A.M Cockadoodle Doo

Anyone wanna place some money bets, I see Hopkins winning the fight

89' Notchback "Turbo Project"
93' Hatchback "N/A"
01' Platinum Edition F250

Don't Buy parts from SleeperGTS!!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:51 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

De La Hoya gets knocked out is my prediction.

-1998 Cobra - Vortech SQ-Trim powered - BAD-SVT Jr.

459.1rwhp/368.5rwtq on 8#'s of boost

Upcoming mods: 2008 Mustang GT or 2003-up BMW M3
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM
DFWmustangs.net

I personally think that De La Hoya is a Great Boxer, but Hopkins has been waiting for a chance to fight De La Hoya for a long time,and with saying that, Hopkins is going to knock the shit out of De La Hoya!

My Prediction-Hopkins wins by knockout before the 6th round
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Time Served

de la hoya had to move up weight just to fight hopkins and strum.. he's not used to moving around with that much weight around him. That is Hopkins weight class and de la hoya does not having enough punching power to do damage in that class
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:11 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BEANer
de la hoya had to move up weight just to fight hopkins and strum.. he's not used to moving around with that much weight around him. That is Hopkins weight class and de la hoya does not having enough punching power to do damage in that class

Ahh, what the fuck do you know?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:19 PM
African Booty Scratcher

besides...

de la hoya is too busy with his singing and tv careers to concentrate on a real fighter like hopkins.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Time Served

Nard couldn't even

KO Joppy , what make's yall think he can KO Hoya Even though Joppy got the ass beating of his life I'll bet that Hoya doesn't get KO'ed ,but not that he will win ..lol
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
KO Joppy , what make's yall think he can KO Hoya Even though Joppy got the ass beating of his life I'll bet that Hoya doesn't get KO'ed ,but not that he will win ..lol
but joppy was also a true middleweight! Delahoya is not,also if he tries to stand in there and fight hopkins like trinidad did then yes De la hoya will be KO'd!!!
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Is it cold in here?

Hopkins with the KO in the 8th!!!

[email protected] on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Doom
but joppy was also a true middleweight! Delahoya is not,also if he tries to stand in there and fight hopkins like trinidad did then yes De la hoya will be KO'd!!!
Good point , but i'm still not seeing DLH getting KO'ed by Nard anytime soon ...I guess come this weekend , we will all see
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Good point , but i'm still not seeing DLH getting KO'ed by Nard anytime soon ...I guess come this weekend , we will all see
look at it this way........... de la hoya getting hit over and over by counterpunches and hard counterpunches by a true heavy handed middleweight and getting wore down not a one punch KO but a accumulitive amount of hard punches!!! but thats only if he tries to stand a make a fight of it!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Keep jocking

DLH WAS a good fighter but he seems to distracted w/everything else except fighting. I predict a decision for Hop and the end of DLH's career.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:58 AM

De la Hoya, decision over Hopkins, not going to happen. Bernard is going to wear his ass out just like Winky Wright beat up on Mosley when he tried to move up in weight. I would like to see dlh get k.o

93' Hatchback "N/A"

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 04:54 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

any more predictions before the big fight?

2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Time Served

So who is actually is gonna watch the fight?? I noticed the price on ppv is about $60.00 damm that'll be some shit for whoever pays and someone gets knocked out in the 2nd round.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:46 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
So who is actually is gonna watch the fight?? I noticed the price on ppv is about $60.00 damm that'll be some shit for whoever pays and someone gets knocked out in the 2nd round.
thats why you invite friends and family over and share the expense!

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:24 PM
now he wants to drive

Golden Boy wins for rematch w/trinidad
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:34 AM
11-05-09

I heard that DeLa Hoya got his ass kicked!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:35 AM
11-05-09

LAS VEGAS -- Oscar De La Hoya thought he could trade punches with a bigger and stronger fighter. Bernard Hopkins made him pay for his mistake with a body shot that left De La Hoya pounding his gloves on the canvas in bitter frustration at a career opportunity lost.

Hopkins stopped De La Hoya with a perfectly placed punch in the ninth round Saturday night to retain his undisputed middleweight titles in perhaps the richest non-heavyweight fight.

I felt a sense of urgency. I wasn't sure if I was winning or not.
Bernard Hopkins

The fight ended at 1:38 of the ninth with De La Hoya writhing in pain on the canvas, his goal of beating the fearsome middleweight champion crushed with shocking suddenness.

"I tried to do the impossible on paper -- beat the middleweight champ coming up from 130 pounds," De La Hoya said.

It was the first time De La Hoya had been knocked out in his career, and it came in a fight where he was competitive up until the two left hooks landed just below his rib cage near his corner.

While Hopkins celebrated, De La Hoya remained on his knees, his face buried in his gloves. He repeatedly pounded the canvas in frustration, his unlikely dream ending early.

"I felt a sense of urgency," Hopkins said. "I wasn't sure if I was winning or not."

De La Hoya made at least $30 million for the fight, but his place in boxing history also was on the line. He said the fight would define his brilliant career, and it just might have.

De La Hoya lost for the second time in three fights, and at the age of 31 found out he couldn't slug with middleweights after starting his career 12 years ago at 130 pounds and winning titles in five other weight classes.

Hopkins (45-2-1, 32 knockouts) was ahead on two scorecards and behind on a third in a cautiously fought bout when he suddenly landed the punches just below De La Hoya's rib cage to retain his title in his 19th defense.

"A well-placed body shot," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya (37-4) was a 2-1 underdog in only his second fight as a middleweight and was taking on a champion who hadn't lost in 11 years.

Hopkins fought cautiously the first half of the fight, giving both De La Hoya and the sold-out crowd at the MGM Grand arena some cause for optimism. De La Hoya, who many thought would box and move, was the aggressor in many of the early exchanges as he moved forward against Hopkins.

Bernard Hopkins still is the best boxer the middleweight division has to offer.

"He came to fight," Hopkins said. "He didn't come to run or look for a gift from the judges."

The pro-De La Hoya crowd cheered their fighter from the opening bell, screaming every time he landed a punch. Hopkins fought patiently, but as the rounds went on, his corner told him to pick up the pace and pressure De La Hoya more.

Still, De La Hoya was holding his own until the fight came to a stunning climax that quieted the shocked crowd as De La Hoya stayed on the canvas.

"He caught me right on the button," De La Hoya said. "Believe me, I tried getting up but I couldn't. I have what it takes, but he hit me right on the button."

The fight had been promoted as a replay of Sugar Ray Leonard's upset of Marvelous Marvin Hagler 17 years ago, but this time the bigger and stronger fighter prevailed.

De La Hoya was quicker inside and landed almost as many punches as Hopkins. But though ringside stats credited him with 82 punches to 99 for Hopkins, he never landed any punches that seemed to bother the champion.

Still, there was hope both in the crowd and in De La Hoya's corner.

"You can see he's an old man," trainer Floyd Mayweather Jr. told De La Hoya after the third round. "He's an old man."

At 39, Hopkins was old by boxing standards. But he fought with the energy and reflexes of a fighter a decade younger while waiting for his chance to open up against De La Hoya.

"When I saw I could stay in front of him, our game plan changed," De La Hoya said. "It was working until he threw that good body shot."

Hopkins was ahead 79-73 on one card and 78-74 on a second, while the third judge had De La Hoya ahead 77-75. The Associated Press had Hopkins leading 77-75. ESPN.com's Tim Graham also had Hopkins leading 77-75.

De La Hoya, who weighed 155 pounds to 156 for Hopkins, had fought only once as a middleweight, but his opponent this time was a big upgrade from little-known Felix Sturm. Hopkins hadn't lost since Roy Jones Jr. beat him 11 years ago, and was primed for the payday of his lifetime.

De La Hoya fought despite needing 11 stitches to repair a cut on his left hand suffered three days before the fight. In his dressing room just before the fight, he said the cut on the fleshy part of his hand just beneath the ring finger was slightly swollen and asked that he be allowed not to have the usual tape on it.

But he said the hand didn't bother him, only the punches from a bigger and stronger fighter who wasn't going to be denied.

"It was a great shot, a great left hook," De La Hoya said.

Although De La Hoya made at least $30 million, the cost to his career might be greater. He was knocked out for the first time since turning pro after winning an Olympic gold medal in 1992.

Hopkins, who made only $300,000 in a fight just nine months ago, got a minimum of $10 million, the biggest payday of his career, for fighting De La Hoya. He came into the ring to a recording of Frank Sinatra's "My Way," fitting for a boxer who stubbornly set his own course, even when it cost him millions.

After stopping De La Hoya, Hopkins climbed on the ropes to celebrate his biggest win.

"It was Hopkins sauce with chopped liver," he said.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:26 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

congtratulations to Hopkin's!!! next up will it be either Roy Jones Jr. or Antonio Tarver???

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Time Served

poor de la hoya ... he was actually doing quite well during the fight. More than anyone expected. He just took a hard body punch that i gurantee NOBODY can get up from. at least he didnt go out like Trinidad did when he fought Hopkins.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
poor de la hoya ... he was actually doing quite well during the fight. More than anyone expected. He just took a hard body punch that i gurantee NOBODY can get up from. at least he didnt go out like Trinidad did when he fought Hopkins.

I still haven't seen that punch.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Keep jocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I still haven't seen that punch.
It was one of those old Roberto Duran make you piss blood for day's body shot. It was a great body shot.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 PM

kidney shot, got me a $100

93' Hatchback "N/A"

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 08:24 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC
It was one of those old Roberto Duran make you piss blood for day's body shot. It was a great body shot.

Ouch!
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:22 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Yup DLH should have not fought ANY middleweight, you cannot beat physics and the Executioner is a true middleweight with big punching power, you all saw what he did to Trinidad and that boy could fight. I think DLH needs to fight Trindad again and then he needs to retire win or lose...'H'
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 08:03 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
Yup DLH should have not fought ANY middleweight, you cannot beat physics and the Executioner is a true middleweight with big punching power, you all saw what he did to Trinidad and that boy could fight. I think DLH needs to fight Trindad again and then he needs to retire win or lose...'H'
I think he just doesn't have the heart anymore to dig deep to fight tough fight's anymore!!! he's got money and he probably could have got up but thought to himself he was already defeated and that liver shot really hurt so why bother! but for hopkins to call out jones again and Tarvar also is just about money cause those two will beat his ass!

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
but for hopkins to call out jones again and Tarvar also is just about money cause those two will beat his ass!
You really think that Hopkins couldn't beat Jones? As far as Tarver goes his ass just got a lucky hit on Jones, I bet if they fought again Jones would beat him. Tarver really isn't that impressive, if he defends his title for a couple of fights maybe I'll change my perspective on him

93' Hatchback "N/A"

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:58 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSHROD
You really think that Hopkins couldn't beat Jones? As far as Tarver goes his ass just got a lucky hit on Jones, I bet if they fought again Jones would beat him. Tarver really isn't that impressive, if he defends his title for a couple of fights maybe I'll change my perspective on him
I said it after the first Jones jr. vs Tarvar fight that Tarvar laid down a blueprint on fighting Roy by crowding him and keeping him on the ropes and leaning on him and tiring him out but in the second fight he just put him to sleep with that short left!!! I think in the third fight Jones jr. will move alot more until he feels comfortable and then try to KO him but it's gonna come down to who makes their style fight happen? I also think has the speed a DLH but a shitload harder punch and DLH hit Hopkins pretty easily and good at times!!! and Tarvar is just to physicaly big for Hopkins to keep him off of him! but until they fight it's all heresay!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement