DFW Mustang Forums banner

Rooting and security

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Lonestarstang00 
#1 ·
Anyone even remotely concerned with rooted droids and security?

Seems like even the most basic apps you get from marketplace request access to your phone contact's, not sure why but a lot do. Anyone worried about this with their rooted droids being able to do whatever they want?

#2 ·
In general no. Even when not rooted a lot of these apps require the same access. I only install apps from the market as well. Admittedly the droid market could have anything going on.

With that said, I'd LIKE to check out things like mikandi and its market, but since I use the phone for work I stay a little paranoid.

#9 ·
I rooted my D1, main motivators were:

1) Overclocking (550mhz native boosted to up to 1.25Ghz). I run 1Ghz, phone works great w/ no complaints / excessive heat / battery issues.

2) Custom ROM (improved speed, features, style, custom themes, and much more). I'm running Simply Stunning 4.8 (dev ChevyNo1). Stable, fast, blue theme, custom icons, more custom details; highly recommended. No issues installing ROM

You can save an image, and restore it, in case you hose something.

3) Ease of change. Re-design your UI at will, with any number of options.

4) Unlimited access to phone to install whatever you wish, and restore your image if you hose it.

Its total freedom.

The D1 is ideal for lots of reasons, most importantly its just about as pure Android as you are going to get. No Motoblur, no Samsung UI, Sony UI, bloat, Vzware etc. This is why the D1 is so widely modded..

--Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.