DFW Mustang Forums banner

protein powders

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  xYoung347x 
#1 ·
what do you look for in quality protein powder? I've been looking at several brands at several locations like the vitamin shoppe, gnc, and even walmart just because I was waiting on the wife to finish shopping. I've noticed that some have more calories than others and the ones with less calories usually cost more. while I'm not gonna say that price is no concern, I would like to get a quality product. what would you guys recommend and why? I'm new to all this stuff and I'm just trying to learn and get opinions but some supporting facts would help.

TIA

#2 ·
I have been using Body Fortress for a few months now, purchased from Wal-Mart. My thought process on this is that protein is protein, and the important part is taking in the proper amount of protein to build muscle, and not brand. This week I switched over to Syntha-6 because I found a good deal for 5lb jar on a website.

I've gotten results from the Body Fortress brand, but I really can't compare to other brands yet. The whey is starting to cost alot, so I decided to switch only b/c I found better deals on other brands.

#3 ·
I agree with you to some point but if I remember correctly the body fortress brand is very high in saturated fats and calories and I think the essential amino levels were low. I could be wrong though since it has been a while since I last looked into that brand.

I'll look into it again.

#5 ·
In comparing the two brands I noticed a few differences:

• The ratio in service size to amount of protein is off on the Wal-Mart brand. It's hard to gather the exact amount of protein in one scoop from the label.
  • The Wal-Mart brand doesn't say the blend of whey, if it's from milk or another source of protein, just that its a mix of concentrate and isolate whey blend.
I'd feel safer with the Synthia 6 product or another product based on a milk source. Kinda glad I switched at this point, just to avoid the confusion on the label.

I wonder how much better a pure isolate whey product is vs a blended whey product, and if it's worth the $$$...can anyone chime in?

#14 · (Edited)
well, I went back to the vitamin shoppe and I came back with something I think I might like. I got the Syntrax Matrix 2.0 main reason I got it was for it's sustained release. I figure the sustained release would be better for recovery and since it is a blend it also has quick release properties that will help with pre-workout. I liked the fact that it only has 1g of saturated fat and only 15cal from fat. it's only 23g of protein per serv. but I don't think it's that bad considering the price. that ON stuff is really impressive but way pricey. I might give it a shot later though.

next question. am I correct in assuming that a quick release protein is better suited for pre-workout and a slow/sustained release protein is better for post-workout??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.