DFW Mustang Forums banner

Should I reweld it?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Red Shadow 
#1 ·
Maybe its just me, but it looks like the MAC-10 may be facing an issue. Normally the Powder Springs guns dont have problems with welds breaking loose, but I am getting a little worried.

The weld on the rear of the receiver is looking a little shoddy when compared with the one on the other side. This is natural, as the left side takes more of a beating when the bolt comes back than the right side. What I dont know about welding could fill a warehouse though. My thought is that if the weld were breaking/gradually coming off, then there would be no color/parkerization where it appears to be coming loose. Maybe this was just a factory weld that isnt as pretty as the other side?

Anyways, what do you think-

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah that is what I am thinking, have it fixed before something really goes wrong.

I found a good company that will do it for a reasonable price, and will completely refinish the gun for $150-
http://www.csm-w.com/products/index.html?id=11&submit=view

Although I may only get the lower refinished, because I ordered something special for the gun this morning :saeek:

#5 ·
Looks like it is pretty standard for (DIY) welding to be done on these guns.. From building kits to modifying them. From the pic, doesn't look like anything is about to break.

You could probley do it yourself, but I would take it to a gunsmith. (sounds like you already have that lined up)

You most likely have some money in this gun and it would be a shame to accidentally damage it for the cost of a weld. Or more importantly hurt yourself or someone else if it malfunctions.

#6 ·
that is a crappy weld.
strong enough to do whatever it does .... i don't know
but the builder certainly could have done a better job

#9 ·
I have put around 500 rounds through the gun, and I am sure the owners before me had their fun as well. Hell, the barrel is damn near a smooth bore.

For $150 I would send it to them and be done with it, and it would be refinished as new.
That is too cheap to have a little piece of mind on a $3000 investment, and possibly avoiding injury.
Yeah, I sent them an email and they got back to me quickly saying that they do this sort of thing very often, but the sight plate is much more prone to breakage on an m11 than on an m10. Better safe than sorry though.

#10 ·
that weld = no penatration , it was welded and then grinded down to look smooth but in the process they took most of the weld off of it. when you weld a joint like that you need to bevel both side of the material to get better penatration if you plan on smoothing it out flat after the weld.

#12 ·
if you can get the end off of the gun i can tig weld it for you at work, but i wouldnt want to try and sneak a fully auto gun or any gun in to my workplace for that matter..let me know Iam in Carrollton.
Who said it was a gun? Break it down into parts and it is just a pile of metal. :wink:

#16 ·
That's what I was going to say. To me, it almost looks like it was repaired once before or manufactured quickly. Dis-coloration happens when you paint or die a hot metal and then it cools. Or maybe that's just how the do their manu process. Not sure if the gun is assembled first then painted ( in that case indicates repair work) or if they do each piece individually ( which would then be normal) I don't typically do TIG welding, but i would assume the properties are the same or similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.