Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Land of Gar
Background: Battery was getting weak back in the spring, bought a new one from O'Reilly's, put it in, everything lovely. Rode the bike I don't know, couple weeks, then one day it just died going down the road. About that time it got hotter than hell and I was working 80 hours a week so I just parked it. I guessed stator and ordered one. This is a Ninja 500 btw, if that matters.
Well I just got around to messing with it, and here's what I found.
Put the battery on a charger, charger says the battery is good. Amperage out of the charger is about zero. Voltage checked across battery terminals is 9.78, which sounds high, but I don't know much about motorcycle batteries.
If I turn the key on, voltage goes to zero. No lights come on. Do the same thing with the battery charger hooked up and everything works.
With the battery removed, voltage across the terminals is the same 9.78V. Resistance across leads with key off is infinite, with key on is about 6 ohms. Resistance across battery terminals is infinite.
I thought maybe a short in the system, but the 6-ohm resistance I measured ruled that out I think. It doesn't seem like I should measure that much voltage on the battery if it's junk, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought the resistance across the terminals should be something less than infinite too, but my truck battery did the same thing.
Did I just buy a shit battery or is there something else going on? Any more tests I should perform? TIA
Last edited by stephen4785; 11-16-2010 at 11:16 PM.