ARH, its that time again... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

ARH, its that time again...

When are we going?

Last edited by stephen4785; 11-16-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Lifer

hey have yall checked out 'the pit' mx in terrill?

pretty sweet outdoors style , all sand

fairly wreck friendly since it's all sand. you may not care , but it probably saved me breaking my arm a couple weeks ago when I cased a jump

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Time Served

I'm ready...just need someone with a truck to come pick my ass up!

Where is that??

I just did oil/air filter/plug change last night, and today am doing the air box mod, changing jets, +1 front sprocket and adding a Big Gun Rev box. The little 230 will still get walked all over on a big track like that, but I'm still down to go tear it up.

- BigJason

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Dude, get yourself a 450 and get off that childrens bike. Yes, it will be a steep learning curve, but you will learn and do just fine like everyone else that gets on one. I suggest finding a good deal on an 08 CRF450. Great bike all around.

The above track is Monster Mountain in Alabama.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

when are u going to MM? u know Im down like charlie brown blazing a pound
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR View Post
I'm ready...just need someone with a truck to come pick my ass up!

Where is that??

I just did oil/air filter/plug change last night, and today am doing the air box mod, changing jets, +1 front sprocket and adding a Big Gun Rev box. The little 230 will still get walked all over on a big track like that, but I'm still down to go tear it up.

- BigJason
Quit wasting your money on that thing jesus
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Time Served

I KNOW, I KNOW....and not to hijack your thread, but here is my approach:

I have a history of getting into a hobby (golf, RC trucks/copters, paintball, cooking, road racing, stunting, 5.0's, etc...), dumping a shit load of money into getting myself "set up", and then lose interest.

I'm having a blast riding in the dirt right now, but if I want to get serious and ride at least 1/week (my goal), then I've got to make some significant purchases. A new bike is most certainly one of those purchases, but also included is an old pick-up truck (I have no way to haul it right now and rely on friends, neighbors and strangers), a ramp and all the gear (I'm using a friend's old helmet, road racing boots, jeans & t-shirt right now). I'm budgeting $4k for all of that, without a bike.

My plan is to buy all that shit over the next few months and enjoy riding my 230 with the $300 in mods I've done to it. If I'm still loving it just as much in the spring as I am now, I'll move up to a 450....likely a fuel injected CRF450R.

I'm going to hang onto this 230 forever. It's still a fun bike to romp around on my backyard trails (everyone should agree that the 450 would be WAY too much for that), and it'll be an AWESOME 2nd bike to have in the garage when friends come in from out of town and wanna ride, or for my local bikeless buddies that I want to introduce to dirt riding. It's a bulletproof bike that requires almost no maintenance that is semi-capable, tons of fun and hard to get yourself hurt on.

I am done throwing money at it though. I've got a Supermoto to buy in the short-term too, so I'm looking at dropping A LOT of coin into bikes over the next 2-4 months, and right now upgrading to a 450 just falls near the bottom of the pile. I'm happy just to have something to go learn and have fun on, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

You guys need to take me along one day though. Even though I've only really ridden this thing twice outside of my backyard, I'll bet I surprise you.

- BigJason
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Lets make some plans for next month Nick...

Jason, you will surprise us with how fast you get lapped on that 230 at a track like MM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Just let me know when and I'll meet u somewhere in coonass land.

Russ Carey is out at my SX track today hooking it up gnarly. I'll post some pics soon.

An under suspended bike is a quick way to get you hurt. When u ride with us, you will realize very quickly, that you are on a bike meant for a slow 8 year old.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Wow that looks killer!

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Time Served

I'm excited to get lapped and get some more experience, but right now am still just learning and just trying to go faster everywhere before I drop $8k on a 450 set-up (bike/gear/truck etc..).

I did OK out at I-35 up in Thackersville with my friends on their 250's and 450's, and I got the impression that was a pretty serious track as well, no?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Quote:
I'm excited to get lapped and get some more experience, but right now am still just learning and just trying to go faster everywhere before I drop $8k on a 450 set-up (bike/gear/truck etc..).

I did OK out at I-35 up in Thackersville with my friends on their 250's and 450's, and I got the impression that was a pretty serious track as well, no?
You don't need a 450. Score a older 01' or 02' 250 two stroke. Seen one on craigslist that was super nice for $1300. Lots of power and way more suspension.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

He sounds like he has the means to get a nicer bike...he can find a nice 08 crf450 or yz450f for $3k.

Nick, I will look at my schedule and let you know.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Time Served

I'll let you guys know when my buddy Damon (Glasshouse on here) and I head out to ride again and see if you guys want to come along. I think he's talking about going somewhere up in OK this Saturday...he said it was around 30 min North of Thackersville, and supposed to be a good time.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Let us know when you get a real bike and mx gear...you will probably fit in better with the Rocky Ridge/Marshall Creek bunch with your current setup.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

bring that bike to underground and see how you do
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Lifer

The Pit is a fun track
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
I'll let you guys know when my buddy Damon (Glasshouse on here) and I head out to ride again and see if you guys want to come along. I think he's talking about going somewhere up in OK this Saturday...he said it was around 30 min North of Thackersville, and supposed to be a good time.

Redhead, you are dead on man, but Jason DOES have a strategy as he mentioned above, but you bring up the good point about inadequate suspension getting hurt. He is already jumping further and further so his progress is going to force him down the road of a 450 sooner than later. He is already ready for the upgrade skill-wise but he will definitely have a nice beater bike as he mentioned for the backyard throwdown.

Where do you live? We need to ride soon. Jason, the place we are talking about going to this Saturday is Nocona. Its a fun easy track with great dirt.

I am waiting for my buddy Dan to get his place in Bonita whipped back into shape. IT is a 15 mile loop of dirtbike heaven. The best mix of trail and motorcross/supercross I have ever witnessed in Tx/Ok area. . . . Happy Trails!!

What goes around comes around.

Last edited by GLASSHOUSE; 10-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

LOL...I spent the first 7yrs of my life in Bonita. What a shithole. Our house is across the street from the church and old (gone now) post office building.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
The Fastest of the Fast

I have an SX track in cedar hill at my shop off hwy 67, big freestyle landing and two ramps. I live right down the road in duncanville.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

damn. I work at i-20 and mt creek pkwy. . .

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
LOL...I spent the first 7yrs of my life in Bonita. What a shithole. Our house is across the street from the church and old (gone now) post office building.
yeah the town ain't much a nothin, but this ridin spot is something serious.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Merry HoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSHOUSE View Post
I am waiting for my buddy Dan to get his place in Bonita whipped back into shape. IT is a 15 mile loop of dirtbike heaven. The best mix of trail and motorcross/supercross I have ever witnessed in Tx/Ok area. . . . Happy Trails!!
where all have you ridden?

and jason, i have a little northern tool folding trailer that weighs nothing and can be pulled with anything. i may sell it here in the near future to get a little larger one. put you a small hitch on what ever you are driving now and be done with it. no need for a big truck if you only use it once a week.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Mtn creek is where i learned to ride a dirtbike. And to shoot a gun. Got my first concussion there. It was pretty serious. I was repeating myself for about 8 hours in 2006.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY View Post
where all have you ridden?

and jason, i have a little northern tool folding trailer that weighs nothing and can be pulled with anything. i may sell it here in the near future to get a little larger one. put you a small hitch on what ever you are driving now and be done with it. no need for a big truck if you only use it once a week.
mainly i-35mx lately and river valley. I miss Mossier Valley the most!!! That place was the shiznits. I want to go to 3 Palms down south, heard its fun. Also plan to get out and check out Kyle Regal's new track, Underground MX in Kemp, Tx. I have ridden at Muenster and Lake Murray for trails, also rode out at Bryan Story's ranch back in the day. I like Village Creek too, you can get hurt quick there and their pitbike track is fun to rip on with a mod pitbike.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRedHead View Post
Mtn creek is where i learned to ride a dirtbike. And to shoot a gun. Got my first concussion there. It was pretty serious. I was repeating myself for about 8 hours in 2006.
I can definitely believe gettting hurt out there. Pretty treacherous for a dirt bike in some places. Now that they just widened the road the natural stuff beside it was cut in half or more.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
The Fastest of the Fast

I rail village. Doctor needs to come check out dfw tracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement