The worlds fastest Indian for those who havent seen the movie. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The worlds fastest Indian for those who havent seen the movie.

Talk about ingenuity. The guy made his own everything for his bike. Over head valve conversion, rods, crank, twin cam conversion, etc...

Quote:
The Worlds Fastest Indian Legend

Burt Munro was born on the 25th March 1899 at Edendale, a country town 30km's north of Invercargill, New Zealand.

Burt bought the Indian motorbike new in 1920 as a standard model Indian Scout which had a side valve engine of 600cc capacity. The price was ₤120 with acetylene lighting although he could have bought an electric lighting model but it was quite a bit more expensive at the time. The engine number was 50R627.

The Indian Scout was very advanced for itís time as it had a helical gear transmission and a mechanical oil pump working on a total loss system.

The top speed was in the region of 60mph.

In the 1920's Burt started tuning the bike for speed and ultimately he had it exceeding 90mph in side valve form.
In the mid 1930s Burt made patterns for an overhead valve engine conversion but initially he was quite disappointed as it was no faster than the original side valve.

However, with Burt's determination he persisted with the tuning and in 1940 he gained the New Zealand Motorcycle speed record at a speed of 120.8mph.
At this stage Burt found the original con-rods would not stand up to the strain and he started manufacturing his own out of old Ford truck axles. Burt had very little equipment as far as machining was concerned and there was a lot of handwork associated with the manufacturing.

After overcoming the con-rod failures Burt then experienced engine big-end failure.
As the lubrication was achieved by a total loss system, which had no direct feed to the big-ends and crank pin, with the result that the rollers often came out blued and fused to the big-end cage. Eventually Burt made new fly wheels and increased the diameter of the crank pin which was bored to feed oil direct to the big-ends. He also fitted an Indian Chief oil pump and in doing so changed it to a dry sump lubrication system.

Over the years Burt gradually increased the bore and stroke which enlarged the engine to just on 1000cc capacity.

Burt cast his own pistons using a large kerosene blow lamp and casting dies he made himself.
Another modification was to the primary transmission. He made sprockets for this and fitted a triplex chain on the primary drive in place of helical gears as this was more efficient.
The clutch is basically standard with extra springs fitted to cope with the extra power the engine was developing.
In order to get closer ratios in the gear box Burt cut the layshaft and welded two pinions from an Indian Chief onto this Scout layshaft in order to get closer ratios on the three speed gear box.

Originally the Indian Scouts had only two cams and this limited the valve timing so Burt changed this to a four cam system which allowed him to alter the valve timing on both the inlet and exhaust valves.

Burt built four different streamline shells for the Indian Scout over the years.

On his first trip to Bonneville with the Indian on 20th August 1962 Burt achieved a speed of 179mph, a speed that people attending "Speed Week" found absolutely unbelievable considering the age of both the bike and the rider.

On the 26th August 1967 Burt claimed the World Record Class S-A 1000cc - with an average speed of 183.586mph (one way 190.07mph).
This record still stands to this very day.

Indian 1936 MSS 500cc Velocette

The other of Burts bikes which should have received a lot more publicity than it did was a 1936 MSS 500cc Velocette.
As you can see by the photo it was lightened and lowered in true Munro style to be under 200 pounds in weight.

Burt increased the capacity to 650cc and it was timed at 138mph which would make it one of the fastest Velocettes in the world; if not the fastest.
Had Burts health not failed when he was 75 years of age he intended taking the motor and gear box to America and fitting in to the streamlined shell and possibly it should have exceeded 160mph providing he had two good runs.

The reason he sold his two bikes was after suffering a partial stroke in 1977 he found, after getting out of hospital, he had a lack of co-ordination when trying to work on the machines. This left Burt very frustrated, so he sold us the Munro special and the Velocette as he wanted them to remain in Southland.

Burt died on 6th January 1978 - aged 78 - of natural causes.

There is no doubt at all that this was the most successful combination of man and machine during 57 years of passionate development.
To achieve 60mph to 200mph was the most remarkable achievement that motorcycling has ever seen, hence The Legend.

NEVILLE HAYES
19 JULY 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The newer pics arent of the original bike. There of one a guy built to the exact specs of Burt's bike.
post #3 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 AM
mannish boy

excellent movie... seen it a few times and have it ripped on my media share box

post #4 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
excellent movie... seen it a few times and have it ripped on my media share box
i've only been able to watch part of the movie because everytime i sit down to watch it something seems to happen...i have it recorded, though.
post #5 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

That was an awesome movie. I pee on trees now!!! lol

Wake up and smell the Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just crave meat...so any of those places is always good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Notch View Post
I never got the "talk" from either of my parents
post #6 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
#1 HEAT FAN!!

I thought it was a great story, but just an ok movie.

I know I know
post #7 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Lifer

i really liked the movie

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #8 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
#1 HEAT FAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
i really liked the movie
shouldn't you be building helicopters?
post #9 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

The movie really was excellent, the whole time you felt like something terrible was going to happen though, lol.
post #10 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Rolling with the homies

Awesome movie but unfortunately not one in my collection (yet). I remember reading somewhere that Anthony Hopkins performance was so good that the family members were brought to tears when they met him.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo
shouldn't you be building helicopters?

i will in a little bit.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #12 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Lifer

Great movie!
post #13 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I gots famous friends

I like it how he says "Or else Bob's you're uncle" in the movie a bunch of times!

They showed it on a plane one time and it was so riveting towards the end that eveyone wanted them to keep showing it all the way to the gate after the plane landed..
post #14 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Time Served

Good read - thanks !

I liked the movie - couldn't help but cheer him on !

Old & Slow But Still Having Fun at 57 !
post #15 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 AM
aggie97's protege'

awesome movie ... i had to buy it.

2002 Silver Mustang GT
2004-Kawasaki ZX6RR
# 370
post #16 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Ticket question

My plate fell off on the highway somewhere which resulted in me getting pulled over. I actually found my plate wedged between my rear tire and fender(don't know how I didn't notice right away!) Well, I got a ticket for no m/c endorsement. Is this ticket dismissable?
post #17 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

???
post #18 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm callin you out!

????
post #19 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Lifer

um, no. plate falling off has nothing to do with no mc endorsement, thus will not get it dismissed. You must have an MC endoresment and the only way to get out of it is to prove you had the certification prior to being pulled over. Just pay the fine, sign up for the MSF class and get the endorsement.
post #20 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFurst View Post
um, no. plate falling off has nothing to do with no mc endorsement, thus will not get it dismissed. You must have an MC endoresment and the only way to get out of it is to prove you had the certification prior to being pulled over. Just pay the fine, sign up for the MSF class and get the endorsement.
I'm planning to do all this in the next week. My question is if I get my license before my court date, will I get it dismissed? kind of like you can with a no isurance ticket. I suppose I should just ask the county clerk.
post #21 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Time Served

Uh...no. You didn't have your liscense, so you got the ticket you deserved.

I've never heard of being able to get a "no insurance" ticket dismissed by simply going and getting insurance after the fact. I had an expired card on me once and got that ticket, but I had to show up with proof that I had insurance at the time I was pulled over, not that I got it afterwards. That's like telling your girl "Ok, I'll go put a condom on" after she tells you that she's pregnant.

- BigJason
post #22 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Notorious PIG

Anybody elses plate ever fallen off and stuck between the fender and tire? Yeahh OK.

Whos your Daddy
post #23 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Anybody elses plate ever fallen off and stuck between the fender and tire? Yeahh OK.
Gotta admit, this sounds fishy to me.

This guy just needs to get legal and pay the fines!
post #24 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 AM
That's what she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
My plate fell off on the highway somewhere which resulted in me getting pulled over. I actually found my plate wedged between my rear tire and fender(don't know how I didn't notice right away!) Well, I got a ticket for no m/c endorsement. Is this ticket dismissable?

Is it too late for your parents to have you aborted?

post #25 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
WTF is Zed?

You're probably screwed on the ticket, and really you deserve it for driving w/o a license.

But if I were in your shoes, I would get the endsorsement and set a court date. You could get a sympathetic judge, afterall it is the holiday season.
post #26 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Definitely happened. Burnt most of the letters off my plate and cut up my tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR View Post

I've never heard of being able to get a "no insurance" ticket dismissed by simply going and getting insurance after the fact. I had an expired card on me once and got that ticket, but I had to show up with proof that I had insurance at the time I was pulled over, not that I got it afterwards. That's like telling your girl "Ok, I'll go put a condom on" after she tells you that she's pregnant.

- BigJason
I've seen them get thrown out on many occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatch5_0 View Post
Is it too late for your parents to have you aborted?
Let's ask.
post #27 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm planning to do all this in the next week. My question is if I get my license before my court date, will I get it dismissed? kind of like you can with a no isurance ticket. I suppose I should just ask the county clerk.
No it will not, been there, done that, had to still pay the ticket.
post #28 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Lifer

my plate fell off once, but i never found it (didnt get stuck anywhere on the bike)
post #29 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR View Post

- BigJason
You can get a no insurance ticket dismissed if you get coverage after the fact. I hate to admit it but I did it a few times when I was young and dumb about 10 years ago.
post #30 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Time Served

Well then I stand corrected...seems like an obvious loop-hole. I just remember the clerk looking at the date and making sure that my coverage was in-place the day that I was pulled over. May just be up to the clerk at the window, who knows.

- BigJason
post #31 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
You can get a no insurance ticket dismissed if you get coverage after the fact. I hate to admit it but I did it a few times when I was young and dumb about 10 years ago.
This is why I thought I could possibly get it dismissed. I'm sure a lot of people didn't have their m endorsement when they first started riding. It's not a big deal, but I would like to avoid it if possible.
post #32 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Notorious PIG

Uh no. Same on the insurance. Lason got lucky. Its not a like a maintainance ticket, headlights, brake lights, blinkers, etc.

Whos your Daddy
post #33 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
This is why I thought I could possibly get it dismissed. I'm sure a lot of people didn't have their m endorsement when they first started riding. It's not a big deal, but I would like to avoid it if possible.
And I think riding w/o a m/c endorsement is a big deal. Perhaps after putting up with backyard tarzans who think they can hop on a sport bike and ride it like their Schwinn until they become roadkill. Having a m/c endorsement at least means you know some basic rules of the road and can ride in a little circle without falling down. Pay your just due to society and move on. It may be a bit much to ask, but please obey the laws of the land if you intend to stay. Be well,
post #34 of 832 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyFever View Post
And I think riding w/o a m/c endorsement is a big deal. Perhaps after putting up with backyard tarzans who think they can hop on a sport bike and ride it like their Schwinn until they become roadkill. Having a m/c endorsement at least means you know some basic rules of the road and can ride in a little circle without falling down. Pay your just due to society and move on. It may be a bit much to ask, but please obey the laws of the land if you intend to stay. Be well,
I will pay my dues. IMO, I've learned way more from fellow riders and and a few guys I know who race then I ever would at a boring safety course. I will pay the ticket and move on.
post #35 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Supercross in March

Just got the "buy now and save" bullshit e-mail to get tickets to Supercross in the new Cowboy stadium. Two tickets comes out to $99.35! Tickets $41.25 per Convienence charge $7.80 per ticekt (whatever that is) tax $.63. I still want to go but fuck!

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #36 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
The Fastest of the Fast

Dude its 100 bucks. It costs that much to take your wife to a nice dinner. 5 lap dances at baby dolls. A bottle of patron and a sack of weed. Go to supercross. Everyone is broke.
post #37 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
BANNED

plus 50 to park? lol
post #38 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm over it!

Everytime i have gone i paid at least that for two tickets.

Yeah the parking is what fucks you.

post #39 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifer

Cant Wait....

Hopefully I get my usual passes but If not I will definantly pay whatever it takes... Im a cowboys fan but supercross is what I look forward to the most at the Stadium all year.
post #40 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
too many projects!

This was from the 2007 race I went to.

Seat location: section 21, row 34, seats 104-103
Total Charge: $36.73 For two.

$99 is high and parking is another $40 at least. It was section C310 too not that close.

PHUKET
A soldier dies but once.
post #41 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Time Served

He is one of the guy's that says... hey look at me.... and then the funeral is planned... Keep in mind Super Bikes do tend to keep over-population in check!!

M/C saftey courses and superbike schools should be manditory, but then again soccer moms in 9k pound SUV's should not be allowed on the roads either without propper training!!!

You pick it, I click it!
post #42 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by click the pirate View Post
He is one of the guy's that says... hey look at me.... and then the funeral is planned... Keep in mind Super Bikes do tend to keep over-population in check!!

M/C saftey courses and superbike schools should be manditory, but then again soccer moms in 9k pound SUV's should not be allowed on the roads either without propper training!!!

Despite his obvious lack of proper grammar, I agree with his point about soccer moms driving gratitatious SUV's on 22's with stock brakes and a no idea of how to drive such a vehicle.

- BigJason

P.S. Or I may just be drunk after waiting in the Indy airport bar for my eternally-delayed flight.
post #43 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

You mean it hasn't sold out already? Ticketmaster must be lacking, everything at the Cowboys stadium sells out in 3.5 seconds.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #44 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Code ZXB and parking is $25

Section
Row
Seats
Description
C110
PRICE LEVEL 1
Club Level

Type
ZXB

Ticket Price
US $41.25 x 1

Price Details

Convenience Charge
US $7.80 x 1

Additional Taxes
US $0.63 x 1

SUBTOTAL
US $49.68

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #45 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Lifer

Park at a nearby store and walk (a long ass way). I'll ride my damn skateboard all the way there before I'll pay $40 to park.

I want to go but damn that's a lot of money for my cheap ass.

Dennis let me know before you buy tickets, I'll try talking my woman in to going and we can get seats together.
post #46 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyFever View Post
Not sure if the m/c endorsment means that you know anything about riding. I did not need a msf course to get mine (not sure if that has changed, I have had mine for 15 years.) But that being said he still needs to be legal to ride.

2000 Black GT Conv.
07 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Recovered by the good guys)
84 Jeep CJ-7 (My Toy)
04 Lincoln Aviator (Her Toy)
post #47 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Definitely plan on getting legal. Either that, or the bike sits. I don't want to throw anymore money away on tickets. I think MSF course's are for complete beginners to riding. When you grew up riding dirtbikes it's like a natural transition into street riding, albeit very different in some aspects. I wouldn't waste my money on one of those programs. This is my take on it.
post #48 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Definitely plan on getting legal. Either that, or the bike sits. I don't want to throw anymore money away on tickets. I think MSF course's are for complete beginners to riding. When you grew up riding dirtbikes it's like a natural transition into street riding, albeit very different in some aspects. I wouldn't waste my money on one of those programs. This is my take on it.
Just my .02, but I grew up on dirt too. Riding on the street is different, very different with a sportbike. I think the MSF course is good for all riders. I am thinking about taiking it just to see if they can teach me somthing I do not know.

2000 Black GT Conv.
07 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Recovered by the good guys)
84 Jeep CJ-7 (My Toy)
04 Lincoln Aviator (Her Toy)
post #49 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
too many projects!

Yeah guess I am cheap too Guess I need to own my own shop (cough) Anotherreadhead... what who said that. Must be that jelous guy.

Buick :I have to go, best venue in the nation is in my backyard and only get one supercross race a year. Just got a carb rebuild job that could pay for this so I may know in the next couple of days.

BP: thats the same thing I got says its good till dec 5th.

PHUKET
A soldier dies but once.
post #50 of 832 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 vert View Post
Just my .02, but I grew up on dirt too. Riding on the street is different, very different with a sportbike. I think the MSF course is good for all riders. I am thinking about taiking it just to see if they can teach me somthing I do not know.
I feel right at home on the street. As far as I know, these programs only teach you the basics, which I know. Countersteering, braking, etc... I don't think I would benefit in a course like that. However, I think a sport riding class, or perhaps a trackday, could teach me a lot. I've been reading "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch lately. This is a good introduction into serious riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement