DFW Mustang Forums banner

helmet law

27K views 616 replies 170 participants last post by  dofollowlinker 
#1 ·
what is the helmet law in tx because i got a ticket by a dps and i showed him my health insurance coverage from my job and he stated that did not qualify for me not to use my helmet. wondering do i have to have the helmet exemption sticker to ride without a helmet.

#10 ·
If you are over 21 and pass the msf course, you can ride without a helmet. I have been riding for almost 7 years and just took the course last June. There were actually two guys there taking the class just so they don't have to wear a helmet. They did not care about learning any riding tips. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Billyb0b81 said:
If you are over 21 and pass the msf course, you can ride without a helmet. I have been riding for almost 7 years and just took the course last June. There were actually two guys there taking the class just so they don't have to wear a helmet. They did not care about learning any riding tips. :rolleyes:
IIRC my Txdot study booklet said you had to have x amount of health insurance coverage and a sticker on your plate to ride wthout a lid.

#13 ·
#14 ·
lowthreeohz said:
State law says motorcyclists must wear helmets, with two exceptions for riders 21 and older. No helmet is required if the rider:

has successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, or

has proof of health insurance with a minimum of $10,000 coverage for injuries resulting from a motorcycle crash.

Only have to have the insurance if you have not completed the course is what they told me in the class.

#16 ·
I dont care how much health insurance you have...SLAPAHO.

must admit if someone is riding on the back for a short distance I let them where the helmet, they have a much higher risk of fallin off then the driver imo.

#19 ·
Local place to buy aftermarket clutch kit?

I need to put a clutch in my '03 ZX6R. I've been looking at the Barnett Kevlar. Can anyone recommend a local shop that would have these or something similar? I called the Kawasaki shop and he quoted me over $200 for the factory replacement. I've seen the Barnett's for $135 and up on Ebay, etc. I'll be doing the install myself. I actually tore mine down and put it all back together this weekend just to see how it all went together.

#22 ·
Don't waste your money on aftermarket stuff. Just by an OEM pack. Unless your road racing & shifting 300 times a day, you won't need all the extra garbage...

And I can't believe that a stock pack is $200 for ZX6. I can call around and get a brand new pack for my busa for around $140.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.