Feb. 10 0 0%
Feb 17 2 14.29%
Feb 24 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Frame broken on Busa

I just picked up a bike from a member of the site...

https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...1&cat=5&page=2

Bike was listed as being in great condition, but tonight I was trying to chase down the wiring for the horn...It was a little odd that it was missing, but I had to get it chased down for an inspection sticker..

I noticed some small rubs on the corners of the frame and couldn't figure out what the hell caused it.

I took off both sides of the fairing to find that sucker with a drop light and found this on the right side:
This is the bar that runs across the frame, just above the engine's head.

Here's a pic of it from a little farther back to get the idea of what I'm talkin about

Left side isn't cracked all the way through like the right side, but it's broken as well...

What the hell would cause that thing to break???

...and more importantly, can anyone get ahold of the guy (John Huebener/Hurley on this site) that took my money for this thing? I've got 6 grand in a broken bike...$560 in an Arai helmet that's supposed to be here Saturday and a brand new Joe Rocket jacket that's just gonna have to sit in the damn closet!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Merry HoHo

is it possible he did not know it was cracked? and have you tried to contact him ?

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/member.php?u=1842

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #3 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
That's my Ass

You can't just reweld that break?

post #4 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
is it possible he did not know it was cracked? and have you tried to contact him ?

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/member.php?u=1842
It's as possible as anything else, I suppose. I've tried calling him at least 3 times now and no reply...Tonight, the phone picked up, then hung up. I called right back and got his voice mail. Left a message to call me back as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
You can't just reweld that break?
To me, it looks repairable. However, I'm nowhere near a motorcycle mechanic and have no clue what caused the break...or how much it would cost to repair it.

I'm damn sure gonna make some calls tomorrow though!

post #5 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Which one's the clutch?

its kinda hard to tell where the break is, but i bet it was from setting wheelies down to hard.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #6 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Merry HoHo

Jameb is a damn good welder, as is Turbostang. just FYI

post #7 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
its kinda hard to tell where the break is, but i bet it was from setting wheelies down to hard.
Hell yeah, the whole thing is black as night, so it's kinda hard to tell where this piece is.

Best description is just above the head of the engine and straight back from the radiator.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to get in touch with him about it and get everything straightened up. I love the bike but a cracked frame ain't gonna cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Jameb is a damn good welder, as is Turbostang. just FYI
Cool! I'll keep em in mind! Thanks for the help!

post #8 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

damn man that really sux to hear....he might not have known it was broken...or he might have...you will never know
if i was you id see if he would refund you a little cash to get it fixed by someone..just to cover the costs would be nice of him

Wake up and smell the Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just crave meat...so any of those places is always good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Notch View Post
I never got the "talk" from either of my parents
post #9 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunter bob
damn man that really sux to hear....he might not have known it was broken...or he might have...you will never know
if i was you id see if he would refund you a little cash to get it fixed by someone..just to cover the costs would be nice of him
Werd! Sucks to hear man.
post #10 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Lsx>4.6

Damn that sucks man at least you caught it now instead of later on.....

No more hotrods.
post #11 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Absolutely! This could have been very tragic, to say the least! I keep trying his cell and no luck. I just sent the pics to a bike mechanic in Amarillo to see if the bike's repairable or totalled.

post #12 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

well lets hope hes not tryin to fuck you.....id hope not..but i dont know much about the guy

Quote:

Quote:
post #13 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:02 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Dang man. If all else fails though, a good tig weld ought to seal the deal.

post #14 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I just got off the phone with Yamaha Suzuki of Hurst, TX. He bought it there in Oct. 2004 with 8700 miles on it. I bought it Saturday with 9550 or so miles on it.

I had a buddy go down to San Antonio to help me look over it...he owns an '06 Busa. He noticed the inner fairing that directs air to the radiator was missing, along with almost all the plastic push-rivets on the bike. We didn't even think about yanking off the plastics to inspect everything underneath...I was going off of John's word that it was in great shape.

Ain't nothin like a bad deal.

post #15 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Merry HoHo

nevermind

post #16 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I keep calling his cell, but it goes right to his voice mail. I'll try him again on his lunch break.

Yamaha Suzuki of Hurst, TX guarantees all their bikes to be in working order when they sell them, New or Used...I bought it broken...I think I have it narrowed down.

post #17 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Sounds like you got jipped. Hope you get it worked out.

post #18 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Merry HoHo

well, his last post was almost two weeks ago, maybe there is a reason he is not answering.

post #19 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Yeah, i haven't seen him on here in a while. Don't know anything about the guy, but i hope he works it out.
post #20 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Hopefully Hurley is a stand up guy and will do whatever it needs.

But, that place where its cracked isnt a big deal. YOu will need to completely disassemble the bike to the frame, and have it fixed. Alot of turbo bikes take that bar out so to have more room for radiators and turbo tubing. Its not a big deal to remove it and weld it up. But you need to have it stripped to the frame. I could tear it down for you in a day. Why it broke who knows, I would have to ask. That might explain why HUrley suddenly stopped racing his bike and put it for sale though.

Nick
469 767 7978
post #21 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just got a call from Hurley about the bike...he seemed just as surprised about it as I did. He told me that he's never had the plastics off the bike, that only Scott @ Cycle Werks serviced it and installed the exhaust.

I sent the pics to a motorcycle mechanic in Amarillo and he said that the rake of the bike was changed when it broke and would never be the same. He also mentioned that there was no telling what else got tweaked. He did say that it could be repaired but wouldn't trust it.

John and I will get it all worked out ASAP, and I'll keep y'all posted!

Thanks!

post #22 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Lifer

That sucks
post #23 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Time Served

texas is a "buyer beware" state, he might not have even known about it.
post #24 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Yes, that's what he said. He wasn't aware of it and has never removed the fairings on it.

We'll get it all settled and I'll keep y'all posted.

post #25 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

yea let us know man
they always say theyve never had the fairings off of it...lol
i hope it works out in your favor though man..good luck

Quote:

Quote:
post #26 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Hell yeah, he just called back wanting to know what the mechanic in Amarillo said...We're getting it taken care of professionally and cordially so far.

I sure appreciate call backs like that to set me at ease! I thought I was toast until he called back @ lunch, and again, just now.

post #27 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTKLR
I sent the pics to a motorcycle mechanic in Amarillo and he said that the rake of the bike was changed when it broke and would never be the same.

Turbo guys remove the bar on purpose, yet your's changed the rake?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #28 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Thats kinda what i was thinkin Aaron. Plus, those turbo guys have alot more power, so how could it not be trusted after removing it? Call Scott at Cycle Werkz and ask him there, buddy. He'll set it straight! 817-244-9900
post #29 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
#1 Howard Stern fan

From what I know of John he's a good guy. If he feels like he's any to blame I'm sure he will take care of it. Does it have any headshake or act weird while your driving it? if not, just get the damn thing welded and move on.......
post #30 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cool, thx for Scott's #! I'll give him a shout!

I understand that it could be removed, but why would Suzuki place that there for reinforcement, and more importantly, what would cause the frame to flex outward enough to break the support clean off on one end and fracture the weld on the other side?

When I bought the bike, my hayabusa buddy that rode down there with me noticed the inner, front fairings missing, along with several of the plastic push rivets all over the bike. We took it for granted and didn't even consider taking the fairings off to inspect anything. Like you say, John's a good guy and we did business in a professional matter.

When we got it back to Amarillo, I let a really good rider take her out and tempt him with buying it from me for more than what I had in it. He came back and said that it got unstable right around 160 on the speedo. From there, I posted this: CLICK HERE on the Hayabusa Board to pick the brains of those guys. After talking to the guy that got it up to speed, he said he'd go out to that same stretch of road and look for grooves, uneven pavement, etc. I shrugged off that instability issue and went ahead with getting the bike ready for an inspection sticker. This all came to present itself when I was trying to find the missing horn wires.

So, yes, it does act weird at higher speeds where it should be smooth.

I'll call Scott ASAP and discuss this a little with him. If some of the turbo busa guys (Not the 2 in Amarillo, I just talked to the guy that built them) cut that support off, then why is this thing acting weird at higher speeds???

Oh hell, I hope something else isn't jacked up

post #31 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
The local Suzuki guys are speculating that the bike came down from a hard wheelie or the weight on the nose from a stoppie It's impossible for them to tell what exactly happened unless they see it personally. From pics and descriptions, they're saying the frame bowed out, breaking that support, effectively changing the rake of the bike and they said with this frame will never be the same again...no jigs to line anything back up...nada.

Hurley and I will get her all lined out tomorrow, hopefully.

post #32 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Cool, thx for Scott's #! I'll give him a shout!

I understand that it could be removed, but why would Suzuki place that there for reinforcement, and more importantly, what would cause the frame to flex outward enough to break the support clean off on one end and fracture the weld on the other side?

When I bought the bike, my hayabusa buddy that rode down there with me noticed the inner, front fairings missing, along with several of the plastic push rivets all over the bike. We took it for granted and didn't even consider taking the fairings off to inspect anything. Like you say, John's a good guy and we did business in a professional matter.

When we got it back to Amarillo, I let a really good rider take her out and tempt him with buying it from me for more than what I had in it. He came back and said that it got unstable right around 160 on the speedo. From there, I posted this: CLICK HERE on the Hayabusa Board to pick the brains of those guys. After talking to the guy that got it up to speed, he said he'd go out to that same stretch of road and look for grooves, uneven pavement, etc. I shrugged off that instability issue and went ahead with getting the bike ready for an inspection sticker. This all came to present itself when I was trying to find the missing horn wires.

So, yes, it does act weird at higher speeds where it should be smooth.

I'll call Scott ASAP and discuss this a little with him. If some of the turbo busa guys (Not the 2 in Amarillo, I just talked to the guy that built them) cut that support off, then why is this thing acting weird at higher speeds???

Oh hell, I hope something else isn't jacked up
At 160 mph any bike is going to be unstable to an extent, ive been up to that speed a handful of times. i would guess the crack came from a wheelie coming down to hard. how extensive is the damage? i couldnt answer that. me, personally i would just weld it up, have him knock alittle off the price and keeping riding.
post #33 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston
At 160 mph any bike is going to be unstable to an extent, ive been up to that speed a handful of times. i would guess the crack came from a wheelie coming down to hard. how extensive is the damage? i couldnt answer that. me, personally i would just weld it up, have him knock alittle off the price and keeping riding.
i dont know what bikes youve been riding..but my gsxr at 160 was so smooth..no headshake at all..u must be riding old broke shit lol

Quote:

Quote:
post #34 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm callin you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunter bob
i dont know what bikes youve been riding..but my gsxr at 160 was so smooth..no headshake at all..u must be riding old broke shit lol
You never got headshake because you are freaking slow in the corners and if I recall you about killed yourself with some headshake on the highway.
post #35 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Coupe
You never got headshake because you are freaking slow in the corners and if I recall you about killed yourself with some headshake on the highway.
yea my front tire was bald
but after i put those race takeoffs i got from you.it was golden

Quote:

Quote:
post #36 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Robert Galarga

damn jamey sorry to hear that!! hope you get it fixed cheap

2004 pontiac gtslow
post #37 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks man...I'm not after cheap, I'm after fair.

I called Scott @ Cycle Werkz...He said he remembered John and the bike...and he told me that he bought the bike wrecked from Yamaha Suzuki of TX...described some runs in the paint and everything...I immediately called John back and he said that Scott must have the bike mixed up with another one, because this one has never been wrecked.

From John's point of view, he believes the bike was in great shape when I bought it and now it's not.

From my point of view, the bike was missing the inner fairing that directs the air to the fan, the lines that power the horn were missing, all the push rivets that connect the upper and lower tail together were gone, which should have set off a red flag to pull the plastics right there. However, the bike drove like a champ at low speeds and we went ahead with the deal.

So....If all else fails, this is what I'm going to propose:

I think he and I need to meet up @ Cycle Werkz with the bike and let Scott arbitrarily go through it with us together.

post #38 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

yea let scott check it all over...hes really good at what he does..he will point all the screw ups out

Quote:

Quote:
post #39 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Time Served

Thumbs down

Quote:
Yes, that's what he said. He wasn't aware of it and has never removed the fairings on it.

We'll get it all settled and I'll keep y'all posted.
Hmmm very interesting.

99 WS6
1987 GN WRECKED

OWN IT CHROME IT
post #40 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well dammit... With the help of some good samaritans on the board, I've been directed to some posts indicating that the bike was indeed wrecked...looks like Scott @ Cycle Werkz was right.

Here's the one that really hurts...

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264798

post #41 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:55 AM
GoT mIlK

The truth comes out.... Wow ...

sLoW 5.0 waitin on parts...

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #42 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:04 AM

Thats bunk as hell, hope he makes it right.
post #43 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 AM
iHustle

Damn...I knew there was somthing fishy about that bike. I remember him posting that up now...what a loser.

Chris

Chris
93Z
post #44 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Sticky Side Down

If you end up getting screwed on the deal, you can probably find a mechanic that can fix the bike good enough for you to still enjoy it and sell without feeling too guilty. Its a shitty deal though. I had to have some "custom" repair work done on one of my gsxr's and it was fine afterwards. The chain broke and slapped the left side of the motor off. the guys that fixed it arent around any more but they were able to machine parts to make it work instead of replacing everything.
post #45 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

LOL, how funny.

Thing is, if the frame is tweaked, you should see some movement on the caoting around the neck, maybe strectch marks near the steering head, around that area. Look for distortions in metal and what not. Other than that, just measure the rake angle and check to make sure its ok. Seb at NLR does a short neck modification where he cuts down the steering neck a bit to allow for the bike to be lowered even more without sliding it farther down in the clamps. I figure, if its that tweaked you could tell. You will SURE be able to tell if you pull the motor and what not, it will prob be odd getting it in and out of there. I cant see a wheelie or stoppie doing that to the bike. Thats hitting a curb or something of that nature. Perhaps the radiator got smashed into the frame in that area, and now its fixed. But wheelie or stoppie, sounds like you been talking to someone who does warranty work LOL
post #46 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 AM

I could see a wheelie, or stoppie making it do that.....if Adam was ridning it!
post #47 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

Quote:
Well dammit... With the help of some good samaritans on the board, I've been directed to some posts indicating that the bike was indeed wrecked...looks like Scott @ Cycle Werkz was right.

Here's the one that really hurts...

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264798
man thats fucked up

bitch totally fuckin lied to ya bro..thats just fucked up

Quote:

Quote:
post #48 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:41 AM
The Fastest of the Fast

Id stop baggin on him here or good luck getting your money. I bet he doesnt give it back....why would he, sure heres your money give me back the broke ass bike I been trying to sell for 6 months
post #49 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRedHead
Id stop baggin on him here or good luck getting your money. I bet he doesnt give it back....why would he, sure heres your money give me back the broke ass bike I been trying to sell for 6 months
true
karma is a bitch though
hope he does the right thing

Quote:

Quote:
post #50 of 741 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Wow.....looks like he knowingly straight up fuck you over. I hate theives

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement