Hell Yeah 11 39.29%
Hell NO 13 46.43%
Maybe with a Fullface helmet 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
None

Project : Phoenix

Everyones got a pet name for their projects, so I figured why the hell not me. The name certainly fits. When the bike was together it didn't look that bad, but once it went to teardown and each part had to stand under scrutiny, holy hell... Glad I didn't try and ride it

Everything is coming along nicely now though, I'm almost worried that it's going so well that I'll pull 3ft out of the garage and get sideswiped by a runaway fat woman on a Rascal.

So much for the couple hundred in parts to get the bike running, it's so cheap to replace parts that are probably perfectly good. But newer parts are less rusty and don't have that "questionable" feeling.

So far, Pauls Powdercoating has been my crack dealer and has really treated me right. As soon as I got the frame and swingarm back and started organizing the rebuild, I noticed about 7 parts that would look out of place...off to Paul they go!

Included the wheels in on that latest shipment as well...gun metal spokes and hub with a polished rim, clear coated all over...really looking forward to seeing how it's gonna look.

Cycle Concepts is working the engine over with a new kevlar clutch and replacing some internal parts that weren't right. Good group of guys over there, prices are right and their turnaround time is quick.

Got my tank cover in a few days ago and the new gas tank and airbox assembly is waiting for me at the leasing office desk to come pick up. Until i get the engine though I can't start plugging shit back up.

I'm redoing the front suspension since I had to disassemble the forks for powdercoating, so with with some Racetech spings and new bearings for the steering head and swing arm it'll ride like a dream. The stock rear shock is good for now, $500 to replace a working part is a little overboard.

With a new 520 front/rear sprocket and chain conversion and a Yosh or Devil (love that twin stack high mount! yuM!) it'll be a quick little manuverable shit.

I still can't decide on the fairings. I'm converting the tail from the 80's style tail to an R6 tail and seat, so I dunno where to go. I know it'll be silver, but WHAT will be silver...Ah well, that's part of the fun, eh?

In keeping with the phoenix theme, I'm replacing the yahama insignia with this:

(This would be so much more impressive if I had a digcam, but ah well... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Long Live T.S.

dude your project really interests me.....can u tell me what kind of motor is it ?? and any mods to it u will do during rebuild?? also what kind of bike is it again? and how much will it all cost u?

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #3 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
None

It's an 89 FZR600. I'm not gonna do anythng to the engine itself (ie stroke, port, etc). I'm just having it rebuilt and the carbs adjusted so that anything wrong with the engine is repaired before i fire it up.

The bike cost $500, but I think I've spent about $600-800 in parts. Probably another $400 to go.

post #4 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Sounds good Chris. Seems like it won't be too long before you're out riding with us.

post #5 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:16 AM
I didn't do it

Buy the fuel injected Gixxer motor in the for sale forum and shoehorn it in that badboy. What a sleeper!

post #6 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon X
Sounds good Chris. Seems like it won't be too long before you're out riding with us.
I hope so. I'd really like to take it out for a ride while the weather is good. If I had to put the bike up for the winter after all this I'd go nuts sitting in my garage making vroom vroom sounds.
post #7 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Long Live T.S.

dont let the cold stop u from riding man!

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #8 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Rolling with the homies

Man Chris you need to post up some pictures!!!!! BTW, how long until you are finished up?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Last edited by evil jose; 10-29-2004 at 09:29 AM.
post #9 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
None

Yeah, I really need a better one than my POS keyring digcam. I'll prolly go shopping for one soon.

If things go well, I will probably be up and running by the end of November. Only catch is $$$ and if I have enough to cover both the repair of the GT and the misc parts I need for the FZR. (BTW, piston slap is a BITCH.)
post #10 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Yeah, I really need a better one than my POS keyring digcam. I'll prolly go shopping for one soon.

If things go well, I will probably be up and running by the end of November. Only catch is $$$ and if I have enough to cover both the repair of the GT and the misc parts I need for the FZR. (BTW, piston slap is a BITCH.)
Well I can meet up with you Sunday possible and take some pictures of it if you want. Can't wait to see it.

Damn bro, I feel you on working on two different vehicles. I'm in the same boat to

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Long Live T.S.

forget cars man....not worth it

post #12 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
forget cars man....not worth it
I'm starting to realize that myself.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #13 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithis
I'm starting to realize that myself.

Yeah. Me too. Cars suck

post #14 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Rolling with the homies

Cars are a necessary evil. And belive me I enjoy driving my 'Vert just as much as I like riding. Especially on a nice day with the top down and the stereo blasting. But supporting both habits (in my case I have to throw in the SuperCrew as a vehicle I mod) is a very expensive hobby

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #15 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon X
Yeah. Me too. Cars suck
Only cause you dont know how line up the dots
post #16 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Well I can meet up with you Sunday possible and take some pictures of it if you want. Can't wait to see it.

Damn bro, I feel you on working on two different vehicles. I'm in the same boat to

HPP is working on the GT I'm just funding it, lol

Right now the bike is sill just a frame on jackstands. Paul still has the wheels and some misc parts, and CC still has the engine. Have to call both and find out when I can take delivery and finalize actually putting things together.

Ya'll are more than welcome to stop by anyway, just lemme know
post #17 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
HPP is working on the GT I'm just funding it, lol

Right now the bike is sill just a frame on jackstands. Paul still has the wheels and some misc parts, and CC still has the engine. Have to call both and find out when I can take delivery and finalize actually putting things together.

Ya'll are more than welcome to stop by anyway, just lemme know
What part of town are you living in now a days Chris?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #18 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
None

Plano, just north of Spring Creek & Preston
post #19 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
None

Daaaaaamn. Just got word back from Cycle Concepts and the motor was wacked out. I'm so glad I let them handle the rebuild instead of trying to do it myself. I can turn a wrench, but the tolerances in a cycle engine are tight and I doubt I could match their skill.

They took care of everything down to honing the cylinders and doing a complete valvejob. Anything that was the least bit wrong or would be a future problem they fixed it. Their attention to detail and pickiness rivals mine, and that's a damn good thing. Give them a call if ya'll need anything 972-977-0889 (They're in Frisco)

I'm going to try and pick it up tonight. WHEEEE!
post #20 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Long Live T.S.

wait a sec are you getting a discount for that plug for them!

post #21 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
None

Yeah right!
post #22 of 792 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
None

Put the engine in and finally got the bearings from Yamaha so that I could put on the rear swingarm. Mounted up the footpegs so I could sit on it and make broom vroom sounds.

Got a new fueltank (the old one was a rust farm) and an airbox with a new K&N in it and test fit it.

So far, all I need is:
-Misc hoses for fuel system
-Fuel Petcock
-Radiator
-braided SS brake hoses
-brake pads
-Seat
-Fairings

After that I'm good to go.
post #23 of 792 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
None

WhoooHoOO! Just picked up an R6 tail fairing on ebay for 31 bucks!

SCWHING! (i usually get screwed by ebay snipers, but not this time!)

Got my wheels and misc parts back from Pauls Powdercoating last week and got all the bearings put on along with my new rear sprocket.

Just gotta get some new rubber on the rims (Pc'd gunmetal with a polished lip) and then reassemble the front forks and the bike can sit on something other than the jackstands.

All the major work is done, just gotta rewire it and some other loose ends and I'll be able to fire it up by the end of December.

That would be an awesome Christmas present to myself fo' sho!

(I think i'm gonna ask for a Digcam this year....sucks being pic-less )

Oh, and HPP will probably be done with my car by the 1st week of Dec as well. Sweet!
post #24 of 792 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:48 PM

where you located man? I can come by and take all the pics you want. I would like to see this. Let me know.
post #25 of 792 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Long Live T.S.

I cant wait to see yours done

post #26 of 792 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Rolling with the homies

Sweet Chris, can't wait to you finish up the bike.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #27 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
None

Finally, the sun hit just right and I was able to get a mediocre picture as i was testfitting the R6 tail. I might have to do a little more dremel work on the tail, but it's close enough for government work right now.

(This is I think the best pic ever from the digcam so you can see how much I need a new one)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEY70081.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	17585  
post #28 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
None

This is "Stock"

Yuk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEY70089.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	17588  
post #29 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
None

post #30 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Rolling with the homies

Cool, what's the ETA till the completion?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #31 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Cool, what's the ETA till the completion?
Dunno now, the r6 tail modification is really buggin me out.

I may have to convert the fuel system over to a 96 YZF style tank which is gonna add some time and money.

I'm so close I can taste it, but it's just far enough away to really be a pain in the ass.
post #32 of 792 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 PM

Well Jedi your bike is looking GREAT. awsome work man. cant wait to see it when its completed.. Paul
post #33 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Craziest thing you ever got off with a warning for...

I once blew through a light just as it turned red doing around 135mph... waaaaaaaaaay behind me I see lights, so I pull over, remove my helmet, gloves, take out the ear plugs, unzip the jacket, pop the back seat, have license and insurance in hand when this constable's car pulls up smoking from the hood. He was a good old boy and just gave me a warning. He says,"Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" I said,"Yes, Sir... but you go first." He said," I have no idea, but you were moovin'!" Then we had a heart to heart and he was really cool. I know for a fact I could have out run his POS, but not the radio! I never run from the cops!

I used to live in an apt with gates that go up and down, but enough space I could ride right between them. I get home one day and jump in the shower to get ready for work. I get out of the shower and there is this cop banging on my door, pissed as hell! He has me get my wallet and come down stairs. So I'm standing there with wet hair in just jeans with hand cuffs on looking around for the camera cauuse this has got to be a red-neck "Cops" moment!!! He thought I had run from him. I was only 2 blocks away from where he said I floated a stop sign....cause I did! Then I did a wheelie and drove right to my house...all of which you can see from that corner? He wouldn't have even needed to move and he would have found me. Come on...if I were going to run, I would have done a better job then that! I flat didn't see him. Yep...you guessed it...got a warning! I just had to reason with him a bit and let him take a look at my driving record with a couple of tickets to see I don't run. He was pretty cool in the end once he calmed down.

I used to live in The Colony, and I was riding to work one day, weaving through trafic and I get lit up. I jump over to the left turn lane to pull into the road to the highschool when I hear a whole lot of noise to my right. There is an SUV spinning on it's top in the right lane and about 4 cars in a carniage daisy chain in the right lane. Everyone was watching me get busted and ended up causing a pile up. Cop directs trafic until help arrives and then comes over to me and says, "I can tell you have the skill, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I know cars don't always give ya'll the respect you deserve, but I got your back. Drive safe and have a nice day!"

I think most cops are pretty cool, and are just begging for a good reason to let you off as long as you don't "show your ass"!!! I've had several other warning before and since, but not nearly as interesting...

'00 GT with built 99 Cobra 4v, dual GT Supercar pumps, BAP, T70 turbo, Mac: shifter, Q1A-K & A-arms, MMR 400# C/Os, Koni Sport Yellow SAs shocks & struts, MM 4bolt CC plates, '03 Cobra IRS w/ 1100# rear springs, 3.55FRPP gears & custom full length SF connectors. 538rwhp/545rwtq and drives like buttah.
post #34 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

I've gotten away with alot more than I should since both my parents are cops
post #35 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
mannish boy

driving to Colorado in my first Mark VII when I was about 20yrs old...

cooler full of beer on the back seat, five empties on the floor behind my seat and one about half full that I was workin' on when I got pulled over. threw a t-shirt over the empties... the cooler was in plain view.

denied consent to search the passenger compartment, but I allowed him to search the trunk (FORGOT ABOUT THE BOTTLE OF SCOTCH IN THE TRUNK!!) officer searched the trunk and set the bottle of scotch right back in there (I'm underage at the time remember!!!)

car was about 8 months out on the registration and inspection... wasn't even registered in my name... had no insurance...

caught in a speed trap doing 73 in a 55.

they walked a dog around the car and when the officer put his face about 4" away from mine and asked if I'd had anything to drink, I looked him square in the eye and said "no sir officer"

let me go w/ a warning!

I've got others

Forrest
post #36 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
mannish boy

oh yeah, and I was a "long hair" at the time...
post #37 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
as long as you weren't a "backhander"
post #38 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Custome Title Goes Here

yall are some lucky bitches. i get a ticket for anything and everything. once i was lucky enough not to get a ticket when pulled over cuz my license plate lamp wasnt working.

post #39 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Brutal! I know a bunch of the cops in Mesquite and they are cool as hell! Crazy partys!! Cops unwind like nobody else!!!

'00 GT with built 99 Cobra 4v, dual GT Supercar pumps, BAP, T70 turbo, Mac: shifter, Q1A-K & A-arms, MMR 400# C/Os, Koni Sport Yellow SAs shocks & struts, MM 4bolt CC plates, '03 Cobra IRS w/ 1100# rear springs, 3.55FRPP gears & custom full length SF connectors. 538rwhp/545rwtq and drives like buttah.
post #40 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
I used to be a long hair...getting those tangles out after a ride suck!(Who sounds like a chick!)

post #41 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Custome Title Goes Here

actually, i take that back. i was very lucky once.

i was (il)legally racing at a local spot with two buddies of mine. as we were racing a cop is heading for us. we bust a U and haul ass running from him. hes right on my tail and my buddy is in front of me. i knew he was gonna get one of us, so I went ahead and pulled over to see if he would stop for me or go for the action. of course, he went for me. i was prepared to go to jail. i was going over in my head what i would say when having to call my parents.
he comes to my window basically forcing out of me who the other guy was, and i just kept saying i have no idea, just a guy i met and came up hrere to race. so he finally gives up, lets me go with a warning. i was in disbelief.

oh and the other guy was john(98mustanggt) lol - busted!

post #42 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny00GT
I used to be a long hair...getting those tangles out after a ride suck!(Who sounds like a chick!)
Used to be a long hair too.
Hated tangles.....
at least I wasn't the average oregon hippie whiteboy dreadlock rasta...lol
post #43 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Lifer

What is a warning???? All I ever get is a damn ticket(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadintx
Agreed! My husband is tall, average, and SEXY!
post #44 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 PM

dwi...
post #45 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
American Badass

I have only got one warning when I was 17 for running a stop sign. Just a dumb kid not paying attention, but I have gotten a ticket every other time.

'90 LX fastback 5.0 White with porno red interior. (SLOW PONY)
Classic Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithis
"Still angry? A post like that makes me think you tasted someones dick at some point in your life."
post #46 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Time Served

I had just finished tuning my car and went for a ride. I turned on to a main street in amarillo and gassed on it tires spinning and everything. after i hit about 75 in a 45 the lights came on and i just pointed for him to pull me over in the residential area and he just told me there is always a cop around and talked to me about my car. My plates, registration and inspection sticker were from my other car that got totaled and he just left me with a verbal warning. He was a real cool cop.
post #47 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:22 PM
duh...duh....duh

When I was in PA, I took my '83 Celica to the top of a 15 ft snow bank and start getting it on with a chicky. After about 5-10 minutes the lights came on from a cop car....long story short...I got a warning, but I was scared poopless on that one. (I was 16 at the time)

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #48 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
When I was in PA, I took my '83 Celica to the top of a 15 ft snow bank and start getting it on with a chicky. After about 5-10 minutes the lights came on from a cop car....long story short...I got a warning, but I was scared poopless on that one. (I was 16 at the time)

Take care,
Dude, I'm just impressed you lasted 5-10min at age 16!!!! And in a Celeca...what are you a contortionist?!

post #49 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny00GT
Dude, I'm just impressed you lasted 5-10min at age 16!!!! And in a Celeca...what are you a contortionist?!
heheh, na man...it's the old trick of moving the front pass seat all the way back and recline it. Like a stiff bent bed. Back seat...that was tough.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #50 of 792 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Time Served

I was with 3 friends out late drunk. we turned a corner on a two lane road and ran the cop into the ditch( he was coming from the other direction). We told my friend that he just ran a cop off the road and he turns around and looks as we run off the road. Needless to say we got pulled over and the driver gets out and cant find his DL, So then the cops asks for insurance and he cant find that. Also the tags and inspection were out, four drunks in the front of a single cab pickup( two underage)keg in the back with the hose ran through the back window.
He told us to go home, so we did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement