DFW Mustang Forums banner

Two-a-days

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  matts5.0 
#1 ·
So I want to know if it would be a good or bad idea for me to workout the same muscle group twice in one day? I get to the gym at 5:30am M-F and get whatever muscle group I've planned on done in about 90 minutes before I head to work.

After work I normally have 2-3 hours of nothing to do, often just go home watch TV or play video games, and I feel like I could get back into the gym if I really wanted. What do y'all think about going back into the gym after 8-10 hours after a morning workout and doing this?

My thinking is that the muscle is already torn down, but as long as I'm careful not to injure myself I could get back in and go again. What's your take on this situation?

#2 ·
I am in no way an expert in this at all. But I would think that if you're lifting in the morning.....maybe cardio would benefit you as well in the evening? I used to do that a few years ago. The morning was cardio then after work was weights. But I'm hoping someone else here could give more solid advice as to whether your intentions are good or not.

#3 ·
I think it would result in some serious over training and do more harm than good. There are tons of reasons that someone else will google, copy and paste, but that really sums it up. Your body needs to rest. Some bodybuilders do this, but they are also on a lot of stuff that allows them to do so. I tried to simplify this response as best as possible.

#4 ·
Yeah, I thought about doing cardio for a second workout, and I'm taking it under consideration. I'm just trying to find out if I could actually benefit from the double workout, I guess that's my real question. If I can gain faster from doing a heavy workout in the morning, then getting in again in the afternoon and push myself, I'd really like to do that.

This is the start of my second week back in with a strict routine, so i'm trying to gain as fast as possible without over doing it. In the mornings I go pretty fast without too much time between sets, so i'm keeping my heart rate up, but I'm definitely worn down by the end of the 90-100 minutes.

#7 ·
Rest is just as important as training if not more. That is where the magic happens of your body repairing the tearing down you have done to it during your workouts. Don't be in such a hurry, it takes time to build correctly. Enjoy the process rather than always looking for that ultimate goal. :)

#16 ·
i know for me rest is key.. if i try to cram in a bunch of gym sessions i wont see any more results as if i just went 2 or 3 times a week.. your body needs time to heal.. just figure out what works for you!

#9 ·
This is a neverending debate among "experts" . . . I hurt myself thinking the same as you are, props to you for asking man. Going heavy in the morning will just leave you gassed to the point where you'll have a shitty workout at night - which in my book is a waste of your time. I do two a days twice a week but that's only for my cardio, abs, light weight circuit workouts . . . maybe that in itself is bad but it works for me and my schedule.

#10 ·
what is enough rest though? 72 hours while using glutimine peptides?

#11 ·
I actually do 3 a days 5-6 days a week right now. However it's 2 sessions of cardio (a combo of biking, running, and swimming) and then I do body weight excercises once a day.(push, pull, and sit ups, calisthenics, and tons of core work.) I don't lift weights since me goals are probably alot different than yours. Personally, and I may be wrong but, I don't think you can do to much cardio work. Just my .02

#13 ·
I went through a period that I would do the same workout twice in a row (two days) the first day would be a relatively heavy workout (4-6 rep sets) and the next day do the same workout, but with 12 rep sets.

I liked it, and it was very effective, because it let that muscle group rest several more days before hitting it again. I did lean out just a tad, and my endurance increased, but my base power dropped off a little.

You could do the same with a two-a-day style workout. Just make sure you consume protien after your workouts and get plenty of quality sleep.

Or, you could do as others have suggested, and do cadio/core training on one trip, weights on the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.