DFW Mustang Forums banner

Which 1911?

3K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Billet Works 
#1 ·
Ok, I've narrowed it down to 2 models for my first 1911. They are both full size, .45 ACP, comparably equipped (as best as a 1911 virgin such as myself can tell) and priced about the same. Which one would you pick and why?

Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless
http://www.springfield-armory.com/assets/pdf/SPRINGFIELD_Book_armory_PX9151LP.pdf

Kimber Stainless II
http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/stainless_II/

I'm not attaching a poll. I would rather see the actual opinions than the numbers.

#4 ·
They're both good guns, and they're both gorgeous guns to boot!!

I'm partial to Springfield, but I've had Kimbers as well. Can't go wrong either way IMO.

#5 ·
Oh snap, looked again, that's the same Springer that I bought my dad for Christmas last year. Excellent pistol, helluva shooter. He absolutely loves it.

#8 ·
Only difference I can see is the Kimber states "Match grade barrel" and the Springfield doesn't. I can't say if that would be a deal breaker for me though. That Springfield is a gorgeous piece.

That said, I would probably opt for the Kimber, but only because I own one and have never shot that particular Springer.

Either way, nice guns.

edit: If you want to shoot a Kimber, just let me know and I'll meet up with you and let you shoot mine. Not the exact same model (Gold Match II) but they're pretty close.

David

#9 ·
I appreciate the offer. I've shot examples from both brands and both were great shooters. I didn't shoot them on the same range trip, but it seemed the trigger on the Kimber was a bit crisper than the Springfield. I don't know if it had any work done to it.

#21 ·
I dig the rail on my Springfield.

Matt, that is a sharp looking Kimber.

#26 ·
What reasons do you have to not like the Kimbers?
Just curious as you are literally the first person I have heard say that.....
I have heard others say they like one over the other, but never that they just flat do not like a Kimber.

I bet if it was not the owners gun, blindfolded most would not be able to tell the difference firing the same framed Kimber, Springer, Colt.

#36 ·
My dad has this one. ^^^ AWESOME gun. We shot it, my XD .40, his Colt MKIV Plus II .380, and his Colt 1903 .32 last Sunday at a friend's house out in the country. We were shooting at cans, fake ducks, shotgun shells, etc in his pond. My 61 year old dad, never shot a .45 before, picked up the Kimber and first shot hit a can floating in the water from a pretty decent distance.

My dad and I both were VERY impressed at how well the Kimber shot. Very accurate, and felt very good in the hand.

I definitely see a Kimber in my future. I'd like to have a 3.5-4" barrel for carry though. Not sure if I would like conceal carrying a 5" barrel.

-Aaron

#37 ·
My dad has this one. ^^^ AWESOME gun. We shot it, my XD .40, his Colt MKIV Plus II .380, and his Colt 1903 .32 last Sunday at a friend's house out in the country. We were shooting at cans, fake ducks, shotgun shells, etc in his pond. My 61 year old dad, never shot a .45 before, picked up the Kimber and first shot hit a can floating in the water from a pretty decent distance.

My dad and I both were VERY impressed at how well the Kimber shot. Very accurate, and felt very good in the hand.

I definitely see a Kimber in my future. I'd like to have a 3.5-4" barrel for carry though. Not sure if I would like conceal carrying a 5" barrel.

-Aaron
This 1911 won't be a carry gun except around the house. It will be my "BBQ Gun" carried in a holster similar to the link below. I'll get a 3.5" or 4" later for carry.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23866/catid/22/IHL_Sharkskin_Belt_Slide_1911_Holster

I was looking at Sporting Arms's website and requested a price on the Kimber. Without night sights, it's $766, $863 with. The Springfield is $780, but I don't know if it has night sights. I guess it will come down to that. If the Springer has NS, I'll buy it. If not, I'll get the Kimber that has them.

#49 ·
From a purely cosmetic standpoint, those Eclipse Custom II"s are dead sexy pistols.

#51 ·
I'm a huge fan of Kimber, as I typically have my Stainless PCII on my hip. I've had/carried a lot of guns since getting my CHL and it is still my fav. Feels good, looks great, and groups quarters all day long at 50'.

That said, I'm gonna be trying out a Sig 1911 next I believe...mostly because one of the main Kimber guru's is now working for them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.