DFW Mustang Forums banner

did he die....

44K views 584 replies 135 participants last post by  5111 
#1 · (Edited)
Some ****** in a mustang blasted a guy on a bike @ legacy and 75 earlier....knocked him out of his shoes. The car and bike were stuck together and were 60 yards away from where the body was at rest before ambulance came and got him.

#40 ·
if you're serious about it get a bike already setup. it'll save you a ton of money vs converting a street bike and you'll probably get a bunch of extra parts to go with it.

-race tires will eat you alive. i'd factor in a rear every day, and a front every 2 or so. depends on the bike/track/rider, and you can ride on them longer, but you're asking for trouble trying to stretch things out too far.

-entry fees are usually $100-$200 a day

-gear. you can get a nice, thick name brand suit used for a few hundred. good boots, gloves, back protector, all $$$ well spent when you go down. search the wera board for how different brands crash tested.

-extra stuff. you'll find out there are a million things you'll want to get like tire warmers (now you need a generator since most tracks don't have free power), a truck/trailer to get to the track, canopy to get out of the sun, a fuel jug or two, extra wheels, sprockets, clip ons, pegs, shifters/shift rods, levers, fairings, radiator, windscreens, helmets, etc. seems like overkill, but if you have a little crash first thing in the morning it's nice to have stuff to fix it right there and not blow the whole day.

it's addicting and in the end it'll probably bankrupt you, but it's fun while it lasts. go check out a trackday something just to watch and see if it's something you want to do.

#51 ·
hell no. thats why i never went on group rides, the nigerians in particular love the whole side by side riding thing.. that way they can admire each other and compliment each other easier. "yo dat chrome nazi helmet iz da bomb!! wherz ya buy dat dam ting?" i'll ride staggered, which makes sense since you can see everybody in the group behind you, and stay together easier. towards the end i realized i'd rather just ride by myself or with a couple good friends and know exactly what their riding habits are and skill level. did enough rides in DFW that ended with picking up pieces of somebody's bike and calling for EMS.

#52 ·
I only share at a stop light. Never when riding.

#57 ·
Ducati Monster. Thoughts?

Currently I have a 2006 GSXR1000. I love the bike, but I just dont have the time or the money to trackday anymore. I really want to find something fun to ride, but don't have a need for a race bike on the streets.

I have been eyeing some vtwin bikes lately, love the sound, and the torque. I was particularly interested in the Monster S2R. They can be had relatively cheap and look like a blast to ride. Anyone here ridden/owned one and have some feedback?

#64 ·
Not really a fan of the SV. Do they even make the 1000 in non-S? I know they have the 650 like that. I'll definitely look into the speed triple, but isnt that an inline 3?

#70 ·
Like I said, I don't have the money to trackday. If I don't have the money to trackday, I definitely don't have the finances for both my race bike and a naked bike. I wish I did, but thats later in life.

#72 ·
sv1000 IS overly basic.. but alot of people end up putting GSXR1k forks and rear shocks on them with the wheels and brakes and everything... so its basically a GSXR1k with a vtwin motor. i still want to do this one day.. i had an sv1000s and i LOVED it. i did the -1 sprocket and that was pretty dramatic. it wont be anywhere remotely near as fast as a inline4 on the highway, but around town and in the twisties they are alot of fun. plus they sound bad ass. I REALLY want a RC51, but the damn things are getting extremely hard to find in decent condition with low miles. one day i'll probably get another sv and do the GSXR conversion, and that'll be the ideal bike for me, IMO. the motors are reliable, and cheap to work on.. ducati and triumph are going to cost a fortune to maintain... although i do really like the way the speed triples look.

#76 ·
I ride an older M750 Moster and I love it. Very fun bike to ride. Great brakes and super easy to toss around. The maintenance isn't that bad and if you shop around (avoid the dealer) parts arent too bad. The S2R do not sound as cool as the dry clutch Ducati's but are very different from anything else on the road.

#77 ·
im partial to ducatis but with that being said i would get the monster as first choice, mv brutale as second, and triumph speed triple as third. all are great bikes and maintenance is honestly no different then the jap 4 like people like to claim. generally same pricing and much better parts from the factory.

#78 ·
I just couldn't switch to a twin after riding inlines. I like the smooth delivery of power of the inline, plus it's more user friendly to ride, to me, even on the bigger bore bikes.

I'm looking at the 2010 monster line-up, and I'm seeing that the 1100 monster only makes
15hp more, at 95hp, than the 696. Sorry to offend, but that's pussy. Not to mention a hefty price tag if you're looking to buy new.

MV's are sick no doubt, but again, hefty price tag for new, and I doubt you're going to find a used one local.

I would strongly consider a late model speed tripple. 1050cc inline 3 will keep you in check, plus a more up-right seating position. I've heard these 3's are pretty unique and pack a pretty gnarly sound.

Also the sv. I know they are overly basic, but that's the best part! They are in an abundance around the dfw, and I've been seeing cheap, low mile, late model sv's all over. You will have money left over from the zuk, and they are cheap to mod as mentioned. Fork swap, shock, brakes, sticky tires and you're in business. I've seen some sick set-ups of the sv. Oh ya, and they come with a LOT more hp than any of the monsters.

But, if you want the stock brembo's, ohlins and what not, then the duc is for you. Shiiit, check out the apes as well.

#79 ·
I'm not worried about the lack of power. They make lots of low end to make up for it, and on top of that its mostly rider skill anyway. Sorry, but I've been out to the track on my friend's SV650 and absolutely destroyed 750cc fours and did pretty well against some 1000's, just tough to keep up in the straight early in the morning.

I know I'll miss the raw power of the 1000cc inline, especially on the highway. But its not needed. I know I can have just as much, if not more fun in the twisties on a twin as I do on my 1000. And I can probably come out the other end of a 40min ride through them and not feel exhausted.

IMO getting something like this, throwing a corbin seat on it and a tankbag and I'll be set. Exhaust for good measure. I just feel like if I'm not doing trackdays on it, the 1000 is pointless. I see people come into the shop all the time wanting full exhaust, PC V's, BMC filters, 520 kits and every other little bit for their CBR1000RR or whatnot and its just to go parking lot pimpin at bike night. Sorry, but rolling up on a set of $500 Pirelli Supercorsas doesn't impress anyone.

Bikes are meant to have fun. I enjoy riding the twisties. I love the track more, but cant afford it any longer until I'm out of school. So if this is just as much fun down those roads, and more comfortable doing it, then why not?

I guess mainly I wanted ownership experiences and opinions. I'm gonna check out the Duc, MV, Triumph and Aprilia. They all seem to be around the same price range. I'm tired of modding bikes at the moment. I dont have the time to dick with it. I'd love to have an SV as a track bike, throw a GSXR front end on it and some nice brakes and go to town. But at this point I'd much rather have a nice streetfighter straight out of the box. Just turn the key and enjoy. I love the dry clutch rattle of the Ducati, I guess thats only on the S4R, which may be out of my price range. But I still love the nasty throatiness of a vtwin. Nothing to say I cant ever get another inline again either. Its just getting something that fits my needs at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.