DFW Mustang Forums banner

I'm i doing enough cardio?

1K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  JC316 
#1 ·
I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol

#3 ·
5 mph is pretty slow, do you go any faster? That might help a little. You burn the same calories but your heart rate will be higher for a while after you are done.

#4 ·
Cardio sucks, but it's a necessary evil for all of us but Greg. On my work days I get up at 2:40 am go to the gym, be at work at 4:30 am and get off at 4:00 pm, there's always time for working out, it's just usually when everyone is asleep. Days off I sleep in until 5:30.

#5 ·
More wouldn't hurt at all, but stepping up the intensity is definetly the best way of going about burning more fat. For the best results you always have to take yourself out of your comfort zone and push it further as your body adapts to the conditioning.

For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.

#6 ·
For me, it really helped when I started writing down everything. My diet, current weight and weight loss for the week. That way when I can see it slowed, I can look back to see what I need to improve upon and step it up. It really helps avoiding making the same mistakes repeatedly and avoiding plateaus.
This is something I have always recommended and done. I keep journals of both diet and workouts. I have boxes of notebooks going back to the late 90's. With smartphones today, it makes it even easier to keep track of everything. There are tons of apps for my Droid, but I still like using notebooks. They really keep you honest and takes the guesswork out of gains and losses.

#10 ·
I run 3days a week. Has been 4miles, sometimes i very my speed, sometimes i just run along at 5mph the whole time. I went up to 5miles last night. I just feel like the fat around my gut should be coming off quicker than this. Of course, i guess my eating habbits on non workout days don't help any. And i could probably add a day of cardio. Maybe i'm just talking out loud to convince myself to do more lol

#14 ·
I'd up your intensity, I'm not a small guy or a big guy by any means but my average walking speed is 5 - 5.3 mph and when I'm running I'm at 6.7-7mph. You're diet is everything though.

#17 ·
If you're wanting to maintain muscle while cutting, you're gonna have to supertune your diet, and lift as heavy as possible.

#25 ·
Then workout 6 days a week, and cheat one day. Obviously it'd be better if you could limit yourself to 1-2 cheat meals a week, total, but it's not an all or nothing scenario.

#31 ·
Is anyone factoring calorie intake vs calories burned during a normal day?

I take it that the OP is mainly conserned in burning stored fat.

What is the ratio for calories in vs calories burned per pound of body fat burned per day use a 33yr old male, 5'8" 200lbs?

I take in around 1200-1500 with three meals and according to my Polar F55 burn 2600cal in a 14hr period including my 30 minutes on the tread mill. I wear the thing during the day from sun up till I jump in the shower after my cardio is done. That is where the 14hrs come from.

#35 ·
I am not an expert, but in my experience straight line running, but it on a track, outdoors, or on a treadmill is great for building endurance, but not so great for burning fat. I play tennis and the best fat burner is a solid baseline player that yanks you side to side across the court. This may sound weird and feel weirder, but try turning sideways on the treadmill and side stepping for about 10 minutes on each side. See if it gets you anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.