DFW Mustang Forums banner

Official BJJ competition thread.

4K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  JKD 
#1 ·
Well, after this last Saturday at NAGA the competition bug has bit me hard. As if I didn't have enough drive before and doing so well in my weight loss and getting into shape, now I have a focus with it rather than just training.

I wasn't all that interested before in competitions that just focused on BJJ, but once the matches started I instantly regretted not signing up and went into withdrawls. What an atmosphere and so much fun!

I will compete for sure in September and December at NAGA. I'm not sure about Grapplers Quest due to travel plans, but I'm going to go if I can work it out.

Some of the guys in my current division are some huge beasts, but I'll deal with it training with the big guys at the school. But my goal is to drop to 220 by December at the very least. I want to get there healthy and not just cutting weight, I'd like to keep the muscle that I have gained.

I'll even post up the videos for you guys to make fun of win or lose. I'm just having a blast. :D

#3 ·
:haha:

#9 ·
Well, at least you only have 15lbs to lose and you have awhile to do it. That will give you sometime to add some strength while losing some weight too. :)

i hear ya man. i got choked out nasty at naga but it was a blast. when i got up my leg was all sketchy and i almost fell down, lol. i was able to take 3rd in no-gi because of my greco background. i didn't do well in the gi, but i did better than last time.

nate told me you were there but i guess you had already left. i wanted to introduce myself to you. but, i am sure i will see you around if you start competing.
Yeah, the teammate that rode with me needed to get home as soon as possible. I forgot to put your number in my phone before I left so I missed meeting you. Sorry about that. I will be competing in September and December so I'm sure we will run into eachother eventually or maybe we need to gtg for some training. :)

#8 ·
i hear ya man. i got choked out nasty at naga but it was a blast. when i got up my leg was all sketchy and i almost fell down, lol. i was able to take 3rd in no-gi because of my greco background. i didn't do well in the gi, but i did better than last time.

nate told me you were there but i guess you had already left. i wanted to introduce myself to you. but, i am sure i will see you around if you start competing.

#17 ·
I was at Naga as well....dropped my no gi match (I was pitiful in that)

One my first round gi match via armbar after a sweep/mount and was up 6-0.

Second round gi match, just simply gassed...I suck at this BJJ thing.
Nah, you don't suck. Just need to work harder on your training is all. Give yourself a break, you're still a beginner and have lots of room to grow still. :)

Donnie just started BJJ yesterday and you guys are in the same weight class. That would be funny to see! :D

#22 ·
I might do both classes in case I lose an early rounder, but I defintely prefer no gi. There is some lazy, cheesy ass players in gi in the heavyweights that just lay there and hold on to the gi which really annoys me. There is much more focus on points rather than finishing which turns me off with it.

#32 ·
Well you aren't in one of the old man classes so I won't be tapping to you. But I'm sure somebody will get the chance. Realized last night how much I have to learn. Having a great time so I guess that's what matters.

#55 ·
He charges $120 an hr. Pick a time and day where he will be teaching a regular class right after the private and he will probably be cool with you sticking around.

And if you have never been to Octagon MMA, I have to tell you that it is the nicest/cleanest MMA/BJJ gym that I have ever visited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.