Votes: 25 22.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • LED

Votes: 64 58.7%

New TV

3K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  jluv 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about a 40-50in plasma or LCD. Been doing some reading and see that a Plasma has a better picture quality and the"burn-in" isnt that big of an issue if take care of your TV. Now there are the LEDs. I dont really watch movies just play xbox or watch TV. Would like to spend less than 1000 and best buy has no interest for 36 months for over 1000 so I may go over.

Thoughts? Post what you have and what you like about it and if you like it

#3 ·
Go look at all three next to each other (Fry's) and you'll see that LED is NUTS!

A year ago they were more than twice the price of LCD but now they are only a bit more....

<-- soon to buy an LED TV after moving....

#4 ·
I saw a Vizio (yes i know its a Vizio) LED at sams club the other day and it seemed to be a bit grainy and the movie they were playing looked weird (maybe since the movie was filmed with older technology?) I think i may got hit up best buy and got look.

#5 ·
Keep in mind that they have those sets configured for the high level of ambient light in the room. The picture will different in your house.

#10 ·
I recently purchases a LED Samsung TV and am very pleased with it. It came down to a Sony or Samsung in the picture department. I ended up getting the Samsung 7 Series, good bang for you buck if you can find them on sale. I went on CNet and tuned my tv to their optimal viewing settings and whoa what a difference from the show room settings. Bluray on LED is crazy, things just look so real it looks fake.

#13 ·
In the living room, I have had a 42 in Visio plasma for a number of years. Nice pic but it sure puts out a ton out heat (and lots of RFI for you electronic types). Guess that is a norm for plasma generators :disappointed: . My next set will be a larger LED unit to replace the living room plasma. I also have a 32 in. Visio LED out in the garage with video also off the satellite. It also has a nice pic. Very light weight :) and thin compared to the older plasma.

#17 ·
My older son has a Sony Bravia and hooked up to their Verizon FIOS cable, the picture is outstanding!

#15 ·
Does where your putting the TV have lots of windows? Plasmas have a rather reflective screen and that could be annoying.

I thought it was best to avoid plasmas for gaming? Have they improved enough to not have to worry so much about burn in?

I've got LCDs, but my sister's BF has a 55" LED and that thing is a monster. If you have the funds, go with that! I was looking through the ads today and noticed that Sharp now sells LED as well.

#22 ·
went and picked up the 46in samsung LED 6300 series from best buy for 1399 yesterday.. Got 120hz.. Was gonna go for an 8000 series for 1700 with the wifi /internet and 240hz but the guy said I wouldn't notic that much of a difference. This TV IS BAD ASS!!! Would be nice if they didn't jump a grand for a 46 to a 55 they should really have a size in between but so far I'm really happy with the tv and my 0% interest for 36 months! :D

#25 ·
Plasma, hands down... higher refresh, higher contrast (non dynamic) cheaper price... people that say led or lcd, just dont know what they are talking about

#26 ·
the plasma is going to have darker blacks than an lcd and you'll generally want plasmas in a darker area because they have a very reflective front screen that will bug you if you have light coming in that's reflecting off of it. plasmas are also "faster", but it's not something that you'll notice most likely...especially with the new 120/240hz tvs. plasmas are also much heavier, are quite a bit hotter when running, etc.

with that said, i've had both and i really don't care which i'm watching because they both look excellent and you probably woudln't notice the difference in any of them unless you had different tvs sitting next to eachother.

also, "led" is an lcd...it just uses led lights in lieu of fluorescent, like a standard lcd does....this is one of the reasons that they're so thin.

#27 ·
also, "led" is an lcd...it just uses led lights in lieu of fluorescent, like a standard lcd does....this is one of the reasons that they're so thin.
and emit MUCH less heat....

#32 ·
I prefer my Sony CRT HDTV to all of the above (as long as I don't have to move it). I am not looking forward to when it dies. I have a small Viewsonic 24" LCD the bedroom and it is nice. If I could have found a small CRT HDTV used and in good shape, I would have skipped buying the LCD though.

#39 ·

In Feb, Fry's had a 50" Samsung plasma for $599. I called before I went and they said they had just gotten some in. When I went to look at it, the salesman told me they were out. I looked around and found it on the floor, but it was off. When we turned it on, it wasn't on the same HD channel that all of the other tv's were on. Between the crappy signal and the colors being totally out of whack, it looked horrible. I went ahead and bought one because I knew they couldn't be that bad. It's looks fantastic. They definitely didn't want to sell any of those tv's.

#34 ·
Personally I loved LCD's. I never liked the look of plasma in the brick and mortar stores. Go buy what you like. Before I bought my tv I scoured avsforums to figure out exactly what tv I was going to buy. It was between a samsung lcd (52") or a panasonic plasma (50".) In the end I wasn't going to settle for the lower model samsung when I could get the best tv panasonic had out. I was skeptical about ordering the plasma and I was worried about burn in. In the end I'm now a huge plasma fan.

If you go for plasma get a panasonic, you can get a huge one for a decent price. Just keep in mind the size of room and size of tv have to be thought out, the quality wont look as good if you are sitting too close to a huge screen.

Keep in mind plasma tv's look horrible in person at the store, I can promise you that they look much better at home, the blacks are black and the colors are better looking IMO.

Go look at the store and get what you want, you have to live with it, not us!

#37 ·
Depends on the lighting in the room and what kind of programming/gaming you plan on doing. I was recently set on getting a 55" 240Hz LCD or LED/LCD TV and checked out the two best (per Consumer Reports). Both were around $2100 - $2400... but when I compared those two to a Panasonic 54" plasma, there was no comparison.

And the plasma was only $1400. I'm extremely happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.