DFW Mustang Forums banner

getting on with a train company?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nostangatall 
#1 ·
For the life of me I can't get a phone call from BNSF. I continue to get the rejection emails. Anyone got any tips to get on with them? If not bnsf, any tips period on how to get into the industry? Ill try a smaller company to get my foot in the door but over the past 5 mos I've hit a brick wall with BNSF.

#6 ·
IF you get on with an operator thats been established (UP, BNSF) for a while I would say its stable and the pay is decent. Just starting out you won't make a fortune unless you work a ton of overtime. I've been in signals both for a light rail (DART) and also for a class I commuter and on that one they worked us to death to the point we were being forced to violate law which pretty much sums up why I am getting out. 12 hrs a day 7 days a week gets old after awhile (being on call 24/7), but when it started getting to 16-18 hrs a day it began affecting my sanity. This was on a startup system but I quickly learned how a lot of railroads treat their employees. STAY AWAY FROM SHORT LINES.

#5 ·
I didn't get a single response until I put my cousin's name down on the application as a reference. He's a BN track supervisor with almost 30 years on the job. It still didn't get me hired but I did have an interview, along with 500+ other people for the same 20 positions.

Make sure you check that you are willing to relocate and put down a personal reference that works for them. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.