DFW Mustang Forums banner

Which one fits your belief system?

• Human beings developed over millions of years with God guiding the process

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Human beings developed over millions of years without God guiding the process

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • God created human beings pretty much in their present form about 10,000 years ago

Votes: 13 25.0%

Flinstones was a documentary

3K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  Mr Majestyk 
#1 ·
#2 ·
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWqtpqQjNug&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWqtpqQjNug&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#4 ·
Religion is so weird to me. For a lot of people/adults in this country in 2010 it's their life, but since I was 11 or so I've never been able to get over how absurd it all seems. People all over the world have killed others all over the world over their imaginary friends since the beginning of time. I can see backwards 3rd world shit holes participating in all kinds of religious mumbo-jumbo, but it's sort of shocking that most people in this modern progressive country still believe in some sort of mythology. I always feel like Professors, Scientists, Doctors, and many Politicians "play along" with these people just to avoid the backlash.

It's amusing that the most intelligent people tend not to identify with any religion, yet if you want to be president you must. So in order to get the smartest person to fill the position they must also be a liar LOL.

#6 ·
I am 23 and I would pretty much agree that the world is around 10,000 years old. Yes I am a christian, so that is mostly where that comes from.

I will tell you that I think the explanations for both sides are equally hard to believe and I don't knock anybody for believing differently than I do. It is a hard question to answer and I think taking either side requires a little "faith" seeing as none of us were around at the time.

#9 ·
None of the above..

I do believe in evolution but do not deny that it could have been influenced / began by some outside help. Be it a "god", alien or some other supernatural source.

#10 ·
My favorite part of this is when you ask these people if the world is only 10,000 years old why can we see light from stars that are a million light years away. Their response is that "God planned it like that". Like God actually took the time to form that bit of minute detail in order to fool everyone. I find it all to be quite amusing.

Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that God created the earth in a process that took millions of years. If you are a deist it makes sense that this would be some grand plan that you and I were never meant to understand and that we very well may still be in the development stage of that plan. The problem with modern christianity is that the movement is full of selfish pricks who think everything centers around their pathetic ability to understand the divine. Why would you think you can understand God? Why would you worship a God that you can "figure out"...that would mean he is just as dumb as you are.

Cue up the hardcore christians and their bullshit....they'll be posting all sorts of nonsense I am sure.

#11 ·
I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?

#12 ·
It is interesting because people lived 500-900 years in the book of Genesis until the flood. Noah was the oldest living person AFTER the flood. The problem with the dating is, in the bible, there were 5-6 generations of families coming together. Simple math would show these people must have been 14-15 having babies to live long enough to see the 5th generation of their family. We can tell from history people did not live 100 years old due to health conditions and the environment.

I never could find why people only lived to be 120-140 after the flood. I was thinking maybe the calendar year was measured different.

#13 ·
←Christian, so obviously I believe in God. I also submit to the one thing God asks above all others - Faith! After that, all things become secondary, and in that comes the option to dismiss other's ideas and notions. I don't pretend to "know" or "understand" God, especially at the current [limited] level of human comprehension, but to subscribe to the notion that the world is only 10000 years old is just comical.

Facts are facts, and faith is faith. This is where Christians get it wrong all too often, by trying to pretend that they/we have just a little better (or higher) understanding of things, just to get one-up on those who don't believe.

Maybe it's just an effort to convince themselves that they believe. dunno...

David

#17 ·
you are all gonna burn in hell!!! :)

i dont give a shit what anyone believes in. wake do what you think/know to be right and i dont can if you believe in a little blue genie that talks to you though your refridgerator.

god bless.

#31 ·
When I was a child, my grandmother told me that the Earth was only 6,000 years old and that god put the dinosaur bones there to trick us. If I could pinpoint a moment in my life where I began to shun religion, that would be it.

#50 ·
Interesting book: Genesis and the Big Bang - Gerald Schroeder

Having some understanding of science (ie. special relativity) helps.

I don't feel like typing an essay at the moment but I believe it does a very good job of reconciling religion and science (in terms of creation, anyway).

#53 ·
Christianity is very confusing. check out carm.org if you want to see a whole lot of religious debates. it is one of the reasons i don't really get down too much with any organized religion. i am not saying i don't believe in God. the basic idea i get from the bible is be cool with everyone. but the way Christians treat each other makes me not want to be associated with them.

the big issues i have:

God wanting to be worshipped and being jealous. those seem like such human characteristics

if God is all seeing and all knowing then why did he make satan. and on the same idea God had a set way of people to get into heaven before Jesus. and then all that changed when he sent us Jesus. so did he do it wrong before? why didn't he just create it that way originally.

in genesis it talks about God walking through the garden looking for adam and eve. he was calling out to them and they were hiding. how did God not know where they were.

God having a chosen people, and Jesus calling the gentiles dogs.

satan temting jesus. satan told Jesus that if he would worship him then he would give him -i don't remember the exact terminology- all the kingdoms of earth. or something along those lines. how did satan have any authority to give Jesus anything unless God gave that authority to satan.

why did he make us if we can't hang out with him till we die.
how do we know that the bible is the inspired word of God, especially since it has been changed and there were several times when the catholic church would meet and decide what should be in the bible throughout the last 2000 years.

but, there are people that i really look up to and are wicked smart who believe in this stuff. so the confusion continues...

#54 ·
Christianity is very confusing. check out carm.org if you want to see a whole lot of religious debates. it is one of the reasons i don't really get down too much with any organized religion. i am not saying i don't believe in God. the basic idea i get from the bible is be cool with everyone. but the way Christians treat each other makes me not want to be associated with them.

the big issues i have:

God wanting to be worshipped and being jealous. those seem like such human characteristics
Reference the First Commandment

tenacious j said:
if God is all seeing and all knowing then why did he make satan. and on the same idea God had a set way of people to get into heaven before Jesus. and then all that changed when he sent us Jesus. so did he do it wrong before? why didn't he just create it that way originally.
Nobody gets into Heaven until they are judged righteous.

tenacious j said:
in genesis it talks about God walking through the garden looking for adam and eve. he was calling out to them and they were hiding. how did God not know where they were.
He knew where they were, they were simply hiding out of their own shame.

tenacious j said:
God having a chosen people, and Jesus calling the gentiles dogs.
I'm not familiar with Jesus calling the Gentiles dogs.

tenacious j said:
satan temting jesus. satan told Jesus that if he would worship him then he would give him -i don't remember the exact terminology- all the kingdoms of earth. or something along those lines. how did satan have any authority to give Jesus anything unless God gave that authority to satan.
Satan tempts through things of this earth.

tenacious j said:
why did he make us if we can't hang out with him till we die.
We didn't die before Adam and Eve committed the original sin.

tenacious j said:
how do we know that the bible is the inspired word of God, especially since it has been changed and there were several times when the catholic church would meet and decide what should be in the bible throughout the last 2000 years.
When you read it, you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.