DFW Mustang Forums banner

DVR without the monthly fee?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  EW 
#1 ·
Can you get a DVR to use on any TV that you don't have to pay a monthly fee? Thinking about getting sat or cable again, been without them for a few years. I don't want to pay them extra each month for a DVR if I can just buy one and use it.

#9 ·
I've been using home theater PC's since 2003. I've built probably 20 or so for friends and they're stupid easy to use and setup. Get an old PC and install a Hauppage dual tuner card in it. If you're using a settop box you'll need a tuner card with IR blaster capabilities (little infrared trigger that makes the computer input the remote codes to change the channel on the settop box). You can get some really small cases and components that don't required fans (I've made a completely fanless HTPC for instance). Interface with Windows Media Center is crazy good. My wife is actually better at it than I am.

CEO of our company just bought a old series 2 Tivo that someone had purchased the lifetime subscription for... another alternative.

#11 ·
I've been using home theater PC's since 2003. I've built probably 20 or so for friends and they're stupid easy to use and setup. Get an old PC and install a Hauppage dual tuner card in it. If you're using a settop box you'll need a tuner card with IR blaster capabilities (little infrared trigger that makes the computer input the remote codes to change the channel on the settop box). You can get some really small cases and components that don't required fans (I've made a completely fanless HTPC for instance). Interface with Windows Media Center is crazy good. My wife is actually better at it than I am.

Where is the cheapest place to pick up Windows 7 with MCE?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.