DFW Mustang Forums banner

post-workout whey

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  PWTRTXSS 
#1 ·
I push myself so hard at the gym that when I come home and throw a whey shake on my tummy it makes it hurt. Are there any other quality options for getting my necessary protein/carb intake right after murdering myself during my workout? i'm just NOT in the mood to drink that heavy stuff afterwards.

But i'm trying...!

#2 ·
What are you using? I normally use the protein shakes in between meals to keep metabolism up, but for post work out, I either use Muscletech's Anabolic Halo or if that isn't available, I'll use BSN's Cell Mass until I can get some more Halo. Neither uspet me after a workout, but I can see where drinking a protein shake would make your stomach upset after you've worked your body. It takes a lot of work to processall of that. That is why I break it up throughout the day.

#7 ·
My Dad bought some of that the other day and I was wondering what the heck it was. I mean I could tell it was a supplement by the bottle but my dad weighs damn near 400lbs and works out maybe once a week...I cant imagine why he would need protein...

Anyway I am going to steal some and try it after my next workout, minus the froth hopefully...

#4 ·
Have you tried it with just water? From what I've heard about all the flavors of Nectar, it's the best tasting stuff around. I'm just not going to change something that works for me, so I haven't tried it. Just water and mix might be a little easier on your digestion.

#9 ·
Marisa, if you're trying to cut weight, cut the dairy out.

#11 ·
Post workout you need a bit more than just protein, as your body is "starving," and needs to replenish the glycogen stores that you've burned up. I'd recommend a couple hundred calories of a 60/40 mix of carbs to protien. A "post workout" shake would be the most convenient. and do have the carbs you need, though you could get away with a protein only shake and rice, yams, potatoes, or some other sourcre of moderately glycemic carbohydrate.

My current favorite is to pick up some california roll on the way home, and then add another source of protein, usually canned chicken for ease/time. Carbs are not the devil, over-indulging in them is.

#19 ·
Yeah mixing protein with water in a shaker cup is decent, but not great. When I got a nice blender I did 3 or 4 cubes of ice, a scoop of proetein and water all blended up is DELICIOUS!

Try it out Marisa, you'll love it. And I somethimes throw in a banana or a scoop of Peanut Butter if I am loading up, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.