DFW Mustang Forums banner

good rifle for varment hunting?

849 views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Yale 
#1 ·
Boss is taking us down to his ranch in falfurias next week. Told us to bring a gun to shoot varments- coyotes, hogs, possums, etc. Any rifle suggestions?

#5 ·
Any rifle will work. If you have a couple of rifles I'd choose your most accurate rifle with the best scope. A good deal of varmint hunting is done at night so open sights or sorry scopes aren't an option.

If you are about to go buy something, H&R sells single shots for about $250 that could be decent varmint rifles. You don't want anything bigger than .243 relistically.

Remington has a Varmint line of rifles, Savage has the 12 FV line that are great. I'd highly suggest .223 or .22-250. Both are good varmint ronds and more affordable and available that others. If you might get the chance at hogs or ever want to use the rifle for deer a .243 would be a good compromise. They sell hornady 58gr varmint rounds in .243 as well as 100gr rounds for hogs and deer.

If you have an AR, I put a scope on mine and it shot flat out amazing and it has an M4 barrel. So that might be a cheaper option for something you've already got. Just need a decent scope and AR scope mount.

#18 ·
I saw in the Cabela's ad they had a few for a reasonable price. Are you just going to use it once and put it up, or will you use it quite a bit. Is it worth spending the extra coin on something that you wont use much.
The Savage/Stevens combo would work fine, but out of the 3 my choice would be between the 700 and Savage leaning more towards the Savage. The combo scope on the Savage would be fine for a while.

Attachments

#22 ·
If you are going to shoot a lot, get a bull barrel.

If you are going to stalk, don't get a bull barrel.

.223 ammo is cheaper and has less wear on rifle.

.22-250 is flat shooting.

Savage 12, Remington SPS Varmint, Howa 1500 varmint, are around $500-600 and have heavy barrels. DPMS AR Panther bull is about $800.

A 4-14x scope or 6-18x scope is plenty.

Optional, Harris bi-pod. Varmint Caller: Johnny Walker Predator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.