DFW Mustang Forums banner

Any input on a Ruger LCP for a primary/secondary CC gun?

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  5.0LiterRiceEater 
#1 ·
After talking to my bro-in-law who is a LEO and a gun fanatic he turned me onto Ruger's LCP which is a super compact .380. His reasoning was that if I really want to carry 24/7 I will need a gun that I will actually take with me all the time. He suggested I pick up the LCP with a pocket holster and carry it in my front pocket as a primary weapon, or carry it on a ankle holster as a secondary with a g23 or something hidden when I feel the need and am wearing clothing that can conceal a weapon of size. Any input, everything I have found seems to be very positive, and Crimson Trace has a real trick laser setup for it which is a plus.

So should I hold out on the g23 and go with the LCP as a primary then pick up the g23 when I have the cash for a shooter/randomly concealed carry weapon?

#6 ·
i love my lcp. buy the keltec belt clip for it (it screws right on even though its a ruger) clips to the inside of my pants. i never even notice its there. i carry it when i dont wanna carry the g27.

god bless.

#7 ·
I don't know, I personally have trouble trusting a .380 ACP for stopping power. Especially when I have no troubles carrying my Glock 27 everywhere.

With the right holster I wouldn't think you would have trouble carrying a 26 and weight being an issue. Having the right belt helps a lot to, if it's to flimsy it moves around on your and isn't comfortable. You should also factor in ammo availability as I still haven't seen much .380 out on the shelves.

#8 ·
I took my wifes LCR out to my dads during the Holidays for my step mom to shoot. She walked up there and hit everything she was shooting at with ease with her first few shots. She went out the week after shooting it and bought her one. I don't think the LCR is a good target range gun but for a small carry and for the price I don't think it can be beat! For another $250 you can get a Smith & Weason.

#12 ·
The LCP is fairly accurate -- actually better than you might expect. But don't be surprised if you don't love shooting it. Its small size makes feel as if it's walking out of your hand (with each shot). And a super long trigger pull - like a revolver. Double action with every pull.

I'd recommend!:cool2:

#17 ·
So what is .380 ACP ammo availability like right now? I'd seriously consider that when considering buying the LCP. Friend of mine was telling me he paid close to $50 for a box of "premium" ammo recently :eek:

#18 ·
I have the Kel Tec P3AT, which is basically a LCP, and its definitely not my favorite to shoot but its a nice easily concealable gun. Not sure if the ruger has built in sights or not, but i would recommend the crimson trace. .380 is hard as hell to find ammo for right now, but i found a reload company that seems to always have it in stock and i have yet to have a problem with any of their ammo. http://right2bearammo.com/

#23 ·
I bought an LCP for Anna and she hated it... the trigger would pinch her finger every time she fired it... I kept it as a pocket gun... the trigger is double action long... has a lot of flip when fired and isnt very much fun to shoot...

I wouldn't carry it as a primary... backup or occasional pocket pistol but not as my primary...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.