DFW Mustang Forums banner

Stretching Experts

350 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JKD 
#1 ·
For martial arts kicks, I've almost got the full forward splits but I'm not even half way there to full side splits. I'm wondering if my anatomy won't allow this or is full side always more difficult.

#2 ·
Sideways (Chinese splits) have always been easier for me. A great way to do this passively is to wear ankle weights and sit up next to a wall, with your back on the floor and your legs on the wall, slowly let them spread and let them hang for about 30 minutes. Do this every evening and will help you a lot.

That being said, you never need to kick anyone above the waist anyway(Unless you have them plumbed, and that is a knee).

#3 ·
Full side splits require your hamstrings and groin muscles to full stretched out.

Where alot of people fall short in getting their best results in regards to flexbility is making sure you are stretching every night before bed and when you get up in the morning. Just 15 minutes to loosen up those muscles that have been dormant all night long.

Butterfly
reverse butterfly (or frog stretch)
Standing hamstring (both feet together, bend at the waist)
Standing hamstring (cross one foot over the other and vice versa)
Straight leg vertical up kicks.

Don't forget to breathe correctly while stretching and don't hold your breath. This is a common mistake while stretching. It's natural to hold your breathe while straining or being uncomfortable which keeps your lungs inflated and impossible to reach your maximum stretching ability. So be sure to breathe deflating your lungs completely and slowly all the way through the stretch and hold it for a 15-20 count. Don't bounce or jerk while holding the stretch, then release and slowly rise back to beginning position. A good stretch, should give you a light sweat going and feel the blood flowing through your legs.

Good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.