What exhaust for the Judge? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
What exhaust for the Judge?

I'm going to be putting exhaust on the Judge (Manifold back)

any suggestions on what I should go with?

(it has the 400 in it still.)
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Magnaflow makes a real nice kit.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
I used a pypes 2.5 kit with x pipe and their street pro mufflers for my daughters 79 trans am with a 400. This is absolutely one of the best sounding systems i've ever heard on a pontiac. Too often exhausts for pontacs make them sound like tractors, but this one sounds sweet. It's a little loud but not objectionable. If you can wait until next friday i'll put a sound clip up for you to hear.
mikeb is offline  
 
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:33 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
I hate glasspacks (magnaflow)

to me, an NA V8 needs a chambered muffler
Cooter is offline  
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
mike I can probably wait till Thursday or friday. I am supposed to pick it up from the paint shop wednesday and then Thursday we are going to do a few things to it and then Friday or Satursday maybe i'm going to get the exhaust done.
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Old school 4-eye'd
 
Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Department of Redundancy Dept
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
Magnaflow makes a real nice kit.
some jackass told me kits suck...

Baron is offline  
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
mike I can probably wait till Thursday or friday. I am supposed to pick it up from the paint shop wednesday and then Thursday we are going to do a few things to it and then Friday or Satursday maybe i'm going to get the exhaust done.
I've got some stuff to do friday morning but after that stuff is done i'll record what my daughters t/a sounds like and put that up in this thread for you.
mikeb is offline  
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMe3Y4KSeg

had to dodge a rain storm so maybe not the best quality
mikeb is offline  
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Lifer
 
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: DFW
Posts: 13,083
open headers! make sure you drive it every morning so the neighbors dont oversleep...

98 Brokra
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ is offline  
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Darkside
 
SSMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Slipped over to the dark side.
Posts: 20,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMe3Y4KSeg

had to dodge a rain storm so maybe not the best quality
You daughter has a lot of junk in her trunk.

I think the garage diminishes the sound a bit.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"

Last edited by SSMAN; 08-07-2010 at 08:31 AM.
SSMAN is offline  
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Darkside
 
SSMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Slipped over to the dark side.
Posts: 20,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post

Ok, the giant hand scared the shit out of me....

Nice car, can we get some pics of it?

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"
SSMAN is offline  
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
started out like this a couple weeks ago



after a little bit of body work and some pain on the hood and deck lid, some 18's and 20's and lowered a bit we now have (the entire car was cleared so we took off the judge stickers. They are ordered and should be here next week, we are trying to get the car finished before Summers last blast in Vernon next weekend)



(ignore the LP its getting fixed this weekend)




2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
Nice!
mikeb is offline  
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Resident Pinstriper
 
CRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Right where I need to be.
Posts: 5,190
It's amazing what a little lowering and a wheel swap will do for the looks of a car !! Looks good now !

-Aaron

CRASH is offline  
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Darkside
 
SSMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Slipped over to the dark side.
Posts: 20,120
Very Nice. Looks red in the first pic and orange in the rest.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"
SSMAN is offline  
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Flowmasters or nothing.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
I decided a chambered muffler was the way yo go too Steve. They aren't flowmaters but the are exactly the same and cheaper. The shop showed a flow and this side by side an you can look into them and everything is the same
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
I decided a chambered muffler was the way yo go too Steve. They aren't flowmaters but the are exactly the same and cheaper. The shop showed a flow and this side by side an you can look into them and everything is the same
Please dont put a junk wanna-be flowmaster on that car. It would sound like a real muscle car with a Magnaflow on it.
Sam88Gta is offline  
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
too late Sam I already did. and I like the way it sounds
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...1969GTO081.mp4
That sounds really good Chris. It's coming along nicely sir!

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88Gta View Post
Please dont put a junk wanna-be flowmaster on that car. It would sound like a real muscle car with a Magnaflow on it.
overpriced glasspacks FTL!!!
Cooter is offline  
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Merry HoHo
 
SNEAKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: User Id: 30310 Name: SneakyDaPimp
Posts: 32,791
saw you driving down I35 today. i was in the little red truck, and trailer with the bike on the trailer and yellow quad in the bed.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
SNEAKY is offline  
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
overpriced glasspacks FTL!!!
Cheap knockoff Flowmasters FTL!
Ive seen alot of those mufflers fall apart after 6 months time.
Sam88Gta is offline  
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
too late Sam I already did. and I like the way it sounds
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...1969GTO081.mp4
Oh man, your gonna regret that. I can buy those knock off mufflers for 17 bucks each all day long. If you were gonna put the flowdisasters on it you should have spent the money and put the real flowdisasters on it.

Flowmaster sound good, just not the best option for max power. I understand if you have a stock motor, flowdisasters fit the needs to make a non aggressive motor sound like it has balls.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
and the car looks bad ass btw.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Merry HoHo
 
SNEAKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: User Id: 30310 Name: SneakyDaPimp
Posts: 32,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
I remember yhe set up sneaky. How'd the car look going down the road?
yeah, i saw you coming up next to me and look straight over at us.


looked good. not sure if i could have rolled down the highway in this heat with the windows rolled down though. or maybe i was still just to hot from riding.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
SNEAKY is offline  
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88Gta View Post
Cheap knockoff Flowmasters FTL!
Ive seen alot of those mufflers fall apart after 6 months time.
just saying I'd rather run flows or similar on an NA muscle car than glasspacks
Cooter is offline  
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
just saying I'd rather run flows or similar on an NA muscle car than glasspacks
Magnaflows sound nothing like glasspacks, at all.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
Oh man, your gonna regret that. I can buy those knock off mufflers for 17 bucks each all day long. If you were gonna put the flowdisasters on it you should have spent the money and put the real flowdisasters on it.

Flowmaster sound good, just not the best option for max power. I understand if you have a stock motor, flowdisasters fit the needs to make a non aggressive motor sound like it has balls.
It's a cruiser not a race car. I don't think his Pops cares if it makes 5-10hp less as long as it sounds good and not sound like a backfiring farm truck.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
I was simply stating the mufflers that are knock offs are not the best of quality, they rattle when the welds break on the chambers. As bad as I dislike flowmasters, they dont break or rattle.

Flowmaster actually makes a muffler called the "knock off flowmaster", all the part numbers are the same, instead of 42443 it's KO42443.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post

Flowmaster sound good, just not the best option for max power. I understand if you have a stock motor, flowdisasters fit the needs to make a non aggressive motor sound like it has balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
It's a cruiser not a race car. I don't think his Pops cares if it makes 5-10hp less as long as it sounds good and not sound like a backfiring farm truck.
See

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
Magnaflows sound nothing like glasspacks, at all.
they're packed... I don't like packed mufflers
Cooter is offline  
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
We dont even carry those things you speak of, I cant tell you when the last time we sold one either. Alot of people still want Flowmasters, alot of people want them because thats all they know. They are like the old Smitty mufflers, people just want them becuase of the name. Thats all thats really been available to them till the late 90's when Magnaflow came around.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Old school 4-eye'd
 
Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Department of Redundancy Dept
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
We dont even carry those things you speak of, I cant tell you when the last time we sold one either. Alot of people still want Flowmasters, alot of people want them because thats all they know. They are like the old Smitty mufflers, people just want them becuase of the name. Thats all thats really been available to them till the late 90's when Magnaflow came around.
I am happy with the sound of mine, but if you were putting the muffler of your choice on it, what would it have been?

Baron is offline  
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Stock style motors in early model cars need a chambered muffler, if it has a rough idle magnaflow. I think the droan that any chambered muffler has is a sound killer.

Flowmasters sound good on stock cars, makes em sound like they make alot more power then they do.

Magnaflow is just the opposite. They make a mean sounding car sound quiet. I've never ran flowmasters on anything other then my 6 cylinder s10 truck. All my hipo cars have always had magnaflow. My ultimate goal is more power, magnaflow is hands down the best application for those seeking power.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Lifer
 
slvr01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bonestockville
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
Stock style motors in early model cars need a chambered muffler, if it has a rough idle magnaflow. I think the droan that any chambered muffler has is a sound killer.

Flowmasters sound good on stock cars, makes em sound like they make alot more power then they do.

Magnaflow is just the opposite. They make a mean sounding car sound quiet. I've never ran flowmasters on anything other then my 6 cylinder s10 truck. All my hipo cars have always had magnaflow. My ultimate goal is more power, magnaflow is hands down the best application for those seeking power.
So you're one of those guy's
slvr01 is offline  
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr01 View Post
So you're one of those guy's
What does that mean?

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Lifer
 
slvr01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bonestockville
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
What does that mean?
It means imo I think it's stupid to put anything other than an oem muffler on a 6 or 4 cyl truck it sounds terrible. I always laugh when I hear a Ranger or s10 with that kind of exhaust. It's seams like a douche thing to do.
slvr01 is offline  
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Lifer
 
OrangeChevyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Back that way
Posts: 5,992
Your right, I agree. At the time I was 16 almost 14 years ago.

But I see now, your one of those people.

Who wants to race?
OrangeChevyII is offline  
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
I understand if you have a stock motor, flowdisasters fit the needs to make a non aggressive motor sound like it has balls.
THIS says it all. The car isn't fast at all but we wanted the sound
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
2165 Turbo Rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY View Post
yeah, i saw you coming up next to me and look straight over at us.


looked good. not sure if i could have rolled down the highway in this heat with the windows rolled down though. or maybe i was still just to hot from riding.
It was hit as he'll but I was driving the car from my dads lake place ti fort worth where they are installing the AC ( factory ac car but someone pulled everything ac related out of the car except the vents and controlls in te dash)
2165 Turbo Rail is offline  
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
on a high powered NA car, I prefer an x-pipe and large-ish chambered mufflers... I just don't like the way a packed muffler clips all the sharp edges off of the exhaust note
Cooter is offline  
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Lifer
 
slvr01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bonestockville
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
Your right, I agree. At the time I was 16 almost 14 years ago.

But I see now, your one of those people.
Even when I was that age I thought it was stupid.
slvr01 is offline  
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr01 View Post
Even when I was that age I thought it was stupid.
I did when I was 16, but when I was 14-15, I didn't

at least he's man enough to admit it!

good on ya
Cooter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome