DFW Mustang Forums banner

M14 scope set up

905 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  JESmith 
#1 ·
Well thought I would get some opinions but I am in need of a scope to replace the cheap one that is currently on my M14. I have 1 inch rings for mounting and looking not to break the bank. Any sugestions?

#3 ·
I have to be honest with you... the higher the caliber the better the rings you're forced to buy. You can get away cheap rings on a .22 or even a .223, but for an M14, you're probably burning money unless you pick up a fairly decent set.

#4 ·
I got a polytech that shoots great Irons but need a scope for some longer shots . I have a springfield military style scope mount (the one that is two hole mount on the side and the stripper clip guide swapped out) that goes on it that came with the gun and rings but the scope was a chinese clunker. The guy I got it from was going to be traveling over seas long term and never went ahead with replacing the scope but did all the other work to make it a really nice rifle.

#9 ·
Nope, the springfield setup will not hold zero. It will eventually move.

I'd recommend you go out and buy a USGI M21 Scope Mount, ARMS #18 Scope Mount, or Promag HD Scope Mount (Its a ARMS #18 Clone).

Always buy a STEEL scope mount for the M14, the aluminum mounts flex.

#8 ·
For hogs, I would recommend you get one that has an illuminated reticle. It really helps extend your shooting time especially if you've got the area lightly lighted with a couple of the solar landscape lights.

I've been eyeing the Burris ElectroDot line, the only illuminated part of the reticle is the important part - I can't stand scopes that light both bars entirely.

Price for a 3x9-40 isn't too bad, just under 350.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Burris...e-Electro-Dot-Illuminated-Reticle-200156.html

#10 ·
I personally do not like illuminated reticles, I find they add terrible parallax aberrations and over dilate the eye. If you have high enough quality optics, you should be able to see through your scope on almost a new moon night. Last time me and cobra were in a stand, I was able to see the stand with no moon light through my vari-x III

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.