DFW Mustang Forums banner

Vz Droid has launched

3K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  ScottJ 
#1 ·
Any early adopters?

As a current Vz customer eligible for upgrade, I'm considering the Droid.

--Scott

#3 ·
looks good but i dont like that it's made by motorola.

it's been a while since i've had a motorola phone but i have been through atleast 3 of their phones ive been less than satisfied with. all seem to have a 6 month expiration date before they start dropping calls and stuff starts coming unglued.

#7 ·
If it runs fast between its features, that will be the main turn on for me. That and app support. I'm REALLY trying to find a solution for remote management of some telcom/IT equipment. I know iPhone has ssh clients and apparently there is one called Connectbot for android as well.

The Google maps support + nav sounds like a winner as well.

Some feedback has said the keyboard is somewhat awkward, I just really need to play with one :)

I also read that the screen is VERY impressive, as to clarity, resolution, and color

#10 ·
the dpad is really big, i would have thought they could have revised that a bit to give way for more keyboard space.

Of course, this is Gen1 of this particular design. BB Storm2 is MUCH improved over Storm, so I suspect Gen2 of this phone will be refined.

Even so, for Gen1 very impressive feature set, if it works correctly. Must test drive!

#11 ·
i dont have mine anymore so i'm not an "apple fanboy" but i LMAO everytime a new phone comes out and everyone calls it an iPhone killer.. it looks like an awesome phone, i can't wait to see one in person, i used to be a big motorola fan.. i HATE windows mobile..the treo 750 i have right now makes me wanna punch someone.

#12 ·
I hope energy continues to be invested in android, I've played with a few android phones and I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed.

I've never owned ANY smartphone, so if I get the droid it would be a huge jump for me.

--Scott

#15 ·
If you are going to move to a BB, have you looked at the storm2? Apparently, much updated from the first storm which was kind of a flop from what I gather.

Several reviews are saying the storm2 is pretty nice.

#20 ·
I played with one at the vz store today. I thought it was pretty cool. I like the fact that it has a physical keyboard. The touch screen keyboard was also very responsive and worked well. All the programs seem to run fast and the web browsing was also very fast. I want one but not eligible for an upgrade until Jan 13.

#31 ·
Picked our Droids up yesterday. The keyboard is very awkward at first, but the keyboard on my LG voyager really had me spoiled. It's only been a day and I'm already getting pretty used to it. The screen is gorgeous! Obviously there is a few bugs to work out. The biggest one is that for hours i couldn't register my Yahoo email with it. It kept saying "user name or password incorrect". Finally found out that some free yahoo accounts don't work with the wi-fi on. Also the app i downloaded for free ring tones won't show my contacts when i want to assign it to someone. I have to instead assign it as my default ring tone, then go into the contact and assign the ring tone to it. Another ring tone app probably won't do that. Other than that it kicks ass. Having multiple web browser pages on a phone rocks. And running multiple apps doesn't slow the phone down either.

#35 ·
For the most part it works great. There are a few hiccups like with a regular GPS.

The zombie game uses google maps...it shows your real map and your location and shows zombies moving down the street towards you...and you can change the settings.

Really fun if you take it with you driving or running, etc... If they catch you , you lose. Kinda freaky seeing the zombies move towards your real life house though.

G
#37 ·
I don't have the Droid but I do have an Android phone on Sprint. I got the Samsung Moment and left Windows Mobile in the dust. I've used WinMo a long time but Android is much smoother, snappier and user-friendly.

#40 ·
Played with Google Streetview/NAV, very slick. Probably a key selling point for me. I can do a 1 year upgrade/contract, phone price $229, so just trying to justfiy that and getting a gen1 phone.

There is an app called ConnectBot that is basically an SSH/telnet client. If I can get this working well, I believe I should be able to remote manage various telcom/IT gear at work, which would be super handy; and seeing as it has a physical keyboard, just that much easier for command strings.

--Scott

#44 ·
Jeez whatever happened to just having a phone to use to call people, I must be behind the tech times. I have a cheap ass cell phone with a dial pad and a screen to see who's calling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.