DFW Mustang Forums banner

Clean bulk

780 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  5.0LiterRiceEater 
#1 ·
Those of you who have diets that seem to be adding lean mass without much fat can you please give some advice. I am 6', 225lbs and I have been on a bulk for a while. Problem is that I have also been putting on a little more fat then I'd like. I hate too pull too many calories because I really worked hard to get where I am at, but I know there has to be a happy medium. I know that medium sized meals seperated by 3-4 hours, largest early tapering off towards bedtime, and the bulk of carbs should come earlier, cutting them off around 6-8pm. But I'd like to actually see what is working for everyone that is doing a clean bulk. I understand it is a PITA to type it all out but I'd really appreciate it. Also, since I usually start my work outs between 6:30 to 7:30, I never know how to handle my carbs post workout.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I keep my meals equal and space them at no farther than 3 hours, but typically about every 2-2.5 hours. If you are working out in the evening, you can get away with some carbs in your post workout shake, you will use them efficiently, not store them.

#6 ·
what about carb cycling. no carbs mon-thurs (other then veggies), tons of carbs fri, then taper them back down to none sat and sun. heard some guys saying this works good, but seems like my workouts would suck ass if i had no carbs for a whole day or four...

#7 ·
I've heard of that approach before, but it's so detailed and hardcore, I wouldn't attempt it unless you had a lot of time on your hands to plan it all out and make food accordingly. It's also not simply a drop or rise in carbs, though that is the foundation. As carbs rise or fall depending on the day, fats and proteins rise or fall in relation. So for an extremely low carb day, you might take in way more fats and slightly less protein, whereas on the following day you might up the carbs to normal, drop fats almost completely, and take in a superhuman amount of protein. This is a very interesting approach, but probably more for an extremely advanced athlete or bodybuilder, specifically when approaching a competition. As a beginner (I say that in comparison to professional athletes or bodybuilders), I would stick with a more regularly regimented diet.

#8 ·
This can help you estimate your calorie requirement:

1.)Determine your RMR (resting metabolic rate) by multiplying body weight by 10!
Body weight X 10= RMR
that?s the number of calories it takes to maintain your body all day like brething, making new blood cells, and keep everything running good! It can use as many as 75% of your calorie to maintain!

2.)Then determine how many calories needed for your workout!
For an easy activity assign 3-5 cals a min
Moderate activity 6-10 cals a min
Hard activity 11-15 cals a min

Multiply the assigned cals a min by how long you worked out that?s gets you your workout energy expenditure!

3.) you need to find out your daily energy expenditure, which is hard to do it involves your age activity level, sex, size weight, and more. But to give you an idea you can use and move around and play with to make it work right for you!

If your sedentary most the day other than your workout add 20-40% of your calculated RMR
If your moderately active add 40-60% of your RMR
If your very active add 60-80% of your RMR

Active percent X rmr =daily activity calories!

ex. .60X 1600= 960 daily activity cals

4.) add all the answers up and that gets your requirements for the day! Then decide whether you wanna bulk or cut and add or subtract!!

im a firm beliver in clean bulks i hate when people give the advise to eat crazy amounts of food to gain muscle mass! its stupid imo!! base your meals around your carbs and never go over your calorie requirement!!! keep protiens around 1.5-2 g per pound and never go over that! fats around 20 % of your calories and the rest carbs! muscle is built with the right overload of exercises and the food you eat just supplies it the nutrients! i do cardio every day after workouts and its always low intensity cardio (walking for about 45 min at around 3.8) never getting my heart rate over 115 bpm! as your heart rate rises it causes your body to fuel the exercise with carbs and it has to get the carbs from somewhere so it basically starts eating muscle to fuel the cardio workout! there for unless you need the cardio to perform its basically countering the hard work you do in the weight room!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.