DFW Mustang Forums banner

Help finding a Dell Coupon

4K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  MireFire 2.0 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Dell Mini 9 to play around with and maybe install OS X on it :D Trying to get it on the cheap so post up if you know of any coupons. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just saw an advertisement for one of those on Woot.com about two days ago; something like onedealaday.com or something similar had them for pretty cheap. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

#3 ·
I just saw one for $250, but can't find the link - they are $280 in dell's refurb shop.

May double check to may sure all the drivers are available for the Mini-9 to make your hackintosh work correctly. My GF had some issues finding the drivers for the wireless card on her MSI Wind. She got it going, and it is now Tri- or Quad- booted with OSX,XP, Linux, and I think she put Vista on it also.

Last I checked, the MSI was the easiest, then the Dell, then the Acer for adding OSX. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it to my Acer(although I did have a copy of Kalyway OSX :D).

#14 ·
Stang2be has a Dell Mini 9 working pretty good with OS X now so it's one of the reasons I want to try it plus the fact I have an account with Dell.

Have you checked out the Acer Aspire one? Walmart sells them with 120gig hard drives, 1 gig of ram, etc for $298. Thats what I plan on getting sometime this week.
Mainly getting the Dell because I have an account with them and I've been pretty happy with there products and service. Plus the loading of OS X is pretty well documented along with getting all the drivers working.

Thanks, that's one of the websites I usually check for discounts and was recommended by a lot of people at work.

I had to buy a coupon when i bought my dell mini 9. It was 215 after coupon. the corp. discount can't be stacked with coupon either.

It was worth the a few bucks.

http://www.e-junkie.com/coupon/prod...furb.+Inspiron+/Studio+PC+(Laptop+and+Desktop)
Thanks for the info Richard. Dammit, I was hoping I'd be able to stack the discount with a coupon. I'll definitely check out buying a coupon.

#20 ·
Thanks man! I went to that site and picked up a coupon for 20% off for the lowly price of $3.99 and it saved me nearly $70. Didn't quite find the one I wanted in the outlet store but I'm happy with the purchase.

I got an Obsidian Black model 8GB SSD, 512MB RAM, with Bluetooth for little under $300 shipped (damn taxes were almost $25!). I wish I could have found one with Bluetooth, the 16GB SSD, and the 1.3MP Webcam but oh well. I'll get my feet wet with this model and probably pass it along to my nephew as a gift for school later.

#10 ·
I haven't played with the HP one. but here's a review i found of the HP one, not sure if its the same one at Circuit City

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-mini-1000/4505-3121_7-33351192.html

I expanded mine with memory and hd. $24 bux i got 2 gigs of ram, and $70 bux for a 16 gb SSD. it runs pretty smooth now. I don't like the itty bitty keys and the layout. but you can get used to it. My co-worker has a Acer Aspire one. Which is a little more, but comes with more beefer specs. the 120 gb HD is nice, also the keyboard is sooo much better.

#12 ·
I havent personally played with the dell mini but i think you pay for the name. The others have better specs for cheaper (minus coupons). I looked at the hp but im done with them. My first pc in the 90's was a hp that was crap and my current laptop is an hp and the motherboard just took a dump and its less than a year old!

#18 ·
I used the default config...

If you buy it through the Employee Purchase Plan (EPP) they knock $132 off (expires March 3rd) and then another 7% for the $36 bucks.

I just used a different EPP account and it gave me the discount... I guess its not much of a deal...

#26 ·
I have one and it has been decent so far. Just bought another 4 of them for friends. Upgraded the memory and added an 8gb SD card for more storage. Micro Center has the 800mhz CL6 2gb dimms for $25.

$245 with the 8gb drive, 1gb mem, and WebCam
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item_nbr=702612&iid=02-21-09_Homepage|POV|Mini

Processor and Memory:
Inspiron 910 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz512K L2 Cache
1GB DDR2, 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:

8GB Solid State Drive (mini-card Module/PATA)
3-in-1 Media Card Reader
Graphics:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
Connectivity:

Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45)
Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
Ports/Slots:

USB 2.0 (3)
15-pin VGA video connector
Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 mic-in)
AC adapter connector
Display and Webcam:

8.9" Wide Screen WSVGA TL LCD
0.3MP Webcam
Power:

4-cell 32WHr Li-Ion Battery

Dimensions and Weight:

Dimensions: 9.13"W x 1.07"H x 6.77"D
Weight: 2.28 lbs.
Operating System:

Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
Included:

Power cord

#27 ·
Yep I took my mini to class today and now the instructor and one of his coworkers went to get one.

I've got a 16gb ssd, 2gb ram, and bluetooth. I've got OSX 10.5.6 installed and working with updates. The wireless, sound, and bluetooth, and ssd work fine.

I've already installed open office, nmap, nessus and garageband.

Its really too cpu light to handle garage band but I really like it so far just to play and learn OSX on.

I got mine with 1gb ram for 292 shipped from the dell outlet.

Add in 2gb ram and a 16gb ssd for cheap and its not a bad little traveling laptop.

Evil Jose just let me know if you need any help on getting OSX installed but with 8gb it may be tight. I only have about 2gb left after the OS and the apps I installed.

#30 ·
First thing I'll be doing is upping the RAM to 2GB and keeping it WinXP in the mean time. OS X will be added as soon as I get around to ordering the 16GB SSD. Post up some good message boards I can read up on. All I've really found (and I haven't really looked much) is MyDellMini.

This little bitch is bad ass!

I opened the box upfront and everyone is like OMFG ITS SO CUTE. It is alot faster than I pictured. Downloading starcraft on it right now. woot.
How did you get it already? Or did you expedite the shipping?

<---- Cheap and can only afford the standard ground :(

#29 ·
This little bitch is bad ass!

I opened the box upfront and everyone is like OMFG ITS SO CUTE. It is alot faster than I pictured. Downloading starcraft on it right now. woot.

#33 ·
So I got my Mini 9 yesterday. Apparently FedEx left it out in my front yard :mad: Fortunately it didn't get wet, stolen, or chewed up by my dogs.

Posting this message from the Mini 9 right now. First impressions... Man this keyboard is small but than so is it's footprint. This will take some getting used to. Bootup was really slow but it was configuring a few things so I'll time it later. Gonna start looking at upgrading with 2GB of RAM and a bigger SSD over th3e weekend :D

More to come soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.