DFW Mustang Forums banner

where to buy iphone?

1K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Mach1Mike 
#1 ·
im looking to purchase 2 unlocked iphones for Christmas presents. Does anyone know of a store that sells them? I know probably be shady or something. But I do not want to sign contracts with ATT. I want them to use with my Tmobile account for my wife and I.

I tried the CL thing, but they are all used and scratched or way up in Frisco, etc... Im in Mansfield/Arlington area...

thanks ahead of time

#7 ·
8mpg said:
Guys, guys, guys... Walk into an Apple store and buy one. $400 no contract.
but that will give you a 3g iphone. it can't be unlocked and used on t-mobile yet. rumor has it that an unlock program will be released on the internet by the iphone dev team after the first of the year. this doesn't really matter though since t-mobile uses different frequencies for 3g which means the phone will only use the edge (2g) network anyways.

#8 ·
bullitt54 said:
but that will give you a 3g iphone. it can't be unlocked and used on t-mobile yet. rumor has it that an unlock program will be released on the internet by the iphone dev team after the first of the year. this doesn't really matter though since t-mobile uses different frequencies for 3g which means the phone will only use the edge network anyways.
It is possible... My buddy's family owns a few tmobile stores and have sold a few unlocked iPhones..

#10 ·
Craigslist.com

#11 ·
bullitt54 said:
but that will give you a 3g iphone. it can't be unlocked and used on t-mobile yet. rumor has it that an unlock program will be released on the internet by the iphone dev team after the first of the year. this doesn't really matter though since t-mobile uses different frequencies for 3g which means the phone will only use the edge (2g) network anyways.
Sure it can...

Google GEVEY sim

#13 ·
RiceStang said:
Wrong. Even the Apple reps will sign you up for a contract with ATT. There's no way around it if you go to an ATT store or an Apple store.
wrong... You can buy that at the Apple store with no contract. They sell Apple products. If you go to the ATT store you have to have a contract. I thought about buying one a couple weeks ago and called the Apple store in Southlake and they said the would sell them.

#14 ·
Chopped54 said:
Sure it can...

Google GEVEY sim
afaik it's still impossible for it to use the 3g network.

AT&T uses 850 and 1900 mhz. T-mobile uses 1700 ands 2100 mhz.

The iphone 3g supports 850,1900, and 2100.

T-mobile needs the 1700 mhz part for uploads and 2100 mhz for download. Since the iphone 3g doesn't support the 1700 band it still will not work with tmobile.

save yourself some cash and just buy a 2g iphone on craigslist unless you really want a new phone that can't be used to it's full capability. i guess it's really worth it if you absolutely had to have gps too.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=iphone+2g&minAsk=100&maxAsk=300

#15 ·
bullitt54 said:
afaik it's still impossible for it to use the 3g network.

AT&T uses 850 and 1900 mhz. T-mobile uses 1700 ands 2100 mhz.

The iphone 3g supports 850,1900, and 2100.

T-mobile needs the 1700 mhz part for uploads and 2100 mhz for download. Since the iphone 3g doesn't support the 1700 band it still will not work with tmobile.

save yourself some cash and just buy a 2g iphone on craigslist unless you really want a new phone that can't be used to it's full capability. i guess it's really worth it if you absolutely had to have gps too.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=iphone+2g&minAsk=100&maxAsk=300
Here's from another forum I'm a member of, these guys know their stuff when it comes to Apple products.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597885

#16 ·
#19 ·
AT&T

I was told by the aT&T store that no matter where I get my phone - when I activate my IPHONE on the AT&T network it automatically signs you up for a 2 year plan for useage.

I ended up getting a AT&T phone (Samsung Eternity - $1`49 after rebate) that has unlimited data, unlimited tV (nice picture too + around 14 channels) and GPS for $30 a month plus the 9.99 added for the family minutes sharing. Nice touch screen phone - fast and less per month than the Iphone - and the battery also comes out for resets (real problem with the first gen Iphone we had)

#20 ·
bullitt54 said:

It isn't a rumor. The iPhone Dev-Team hacked it two days ago. They said it will be released before Dec 31st.

The exception is an iPhone 3G's that has been upgraded to version 2.2 with the new baseband. If you upgraded with the new baseband, you cannot unlock your phone.... yet.

#24 ·
the only way your going to get and iphone to work on the tmobile network is using the old iphone. Use craigslist or ebay to get a hold of that model phone.

you will not be able to walk in and get the old iphone at the applestore they no longer offer them.

FYI the iphone sucks with tmobile, you cannot update it and get the new stuff like the 3g would or if your provider was ATTand you have quite a few dropped calls, and the txt msgs sometime deliver/send late. Just letting you know from comparing my phone (ATT/old version) and a coworkers (tmobile/old version) its not worth it.

just my $.02

#26 ·
a friend's dad decided that he wanted an iphone, but he didn't want to switch from verizon, so he bought an "ipod touch 32gb" and downloaded some app that connects the ipod to his phone via bluetooth and has an onscreen keypad so he can use it as a phone and use verizon's internet via bluetooth. i haven't seen it, but i was told that you can't tell the difference between his ipod and an iphone...the only downside is that you have to have another phone with bluetooth within 20-30 feet of the ipod touch to use it as a phone, but you can get those slim phones (razors, etc) with bluetooth for pretty cheap these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.