DFW Mustang Forums banner

UT Strikes deal with Muschamp, to take over when Brown Retires

895 views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Cartman 
#1 ·
As much as it pains me to say this, good for them. He's a hell of a coach. He's going to give the rest of the Big XXII fits for years to come.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

See less See more
#27 ·
Badass2000gt said:
Thats why mack brown has a national title under his belt without him. But good call on that one. :rolleyes:
In 2005 Gene Chizik was hired by Texas Longhorns to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[2] During his time with the Texas Longhorns, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

and where was Gene coaching at before coming to UT?

#28 ·
Cartman said:
In 2005 Gene Chizik was hired by Texas Longhorns to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[2] During his time with the Texas Longhorns, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

and where was Gene coaching at before coming to UT?
This argument is about as weak as people saying "where would teams be without Texas players". Holy fucking shit an SEC coach is under a Big 12 coach, fucking amazing! You are a damned moron. You did a good job outing yourself in the political forum, looks like your making your best lobby here.

#29 ·
exlude said:
This argument is about as weak as people saying "where would teams be without Texas players". Holy fucking shit an SEC coach is under a Big 12 coach, fucking amazing! You are a damned moron. You did a good job outing yourself in the political forum, looks like your making your best lobby here.
really UT wasn't much b4 the SEC coaches showed up, and the only title runs they had, have come with SEC coaches as D coordinator.

and where have I "out" myself in any forum? are you going to be another stevo and pally?

#31 ·
Cartman said:
really UT wasn't much b4 the SEC coaches showed up, and the only title runs they had, have come with SEC coaches as D coordinator.

and where have I "out" myself in any forum? are you going to be another stevo and pally?

like i said before, the '01 D might be the best UT has had in the recent years. There was no sec guy then.

edit- ah, it was the '04 D, they were both pretty good without an sec coach around.

#32 ·
bert89coupe said:
like i said before, the '01 D might be the best UT has had in the recent years. There was no sec guy then.

edit- ah, it was the '04 D, they were both pretty good without an sec coach around.
did they win the title in 04? nope and without gene's input their might not have been an 05 title for UT.

as for the comment of UT's all time greatest coach, this is directed toward mack brown and his so called coaching.

#33 ·
Cartman said:
did they win the title in 04? nope and without gene's input their might not have been an 05 title for UT.

as for the comment of UT's all time greatest coach, this is directed toward mack brown and his so called coaching.

so you have to win a title to have a good defense? A baboon could have coached the D in '05 and they would've been good with the talent they had. Look at the linebacker play in '06, that tells you more about Chizik coaching.

#34 ·
Cartman said:

You really should stick to only Arkansas football...Brown's "so-called coaching", has him at 114-26. His worst season was 9-5 (he also had 2 9-3 seasons early on). He's 7-4 in his post-season bowl games. The only guy he's behind is Bowden. Are there others you think are better? :confused:

#35 ·
Vertnut said:
You really should stick to only Arkansas football...Brown's "so-called coaching", has him at 114-26. His worst season was 9-5 (he also had 2 9-3 seasons early on). He's 7-4 in his post-season bowl games. The only guy he's behind is Bowden. Are there others you think are better? :confused:
a lot of coaches win games vs teams they are supposed to beat, but claiming a winning bowl record when it is mostly the holiday bowl...just priceless. :D

mack is the best recuriter hands down, but coaching is average, most coaches could match his record of wins if they had the players he has. There is no reason for UT to only have 1 title in the last 4 years, they should have won two or at least be playing for their second one this year.

#36 ·
Cartman said:
a lot of coaches win games vs teams they are supposed to beat, but claiming a winning bowl record when it is mostly the holiday bowl...just priceless. :D

mack is the best recuriter hands down, but coaching is average, most coaches could match his record of wins if they had the players he has. There is no reason for UT to only have 1 title in the last 4 years, they should have won two or at least be playing for their second one this year.
Well, at least he's getting to BCS bowls. As opposed to that amazing Arkansas SEC coaching that got you into any bowl game...oops.

At the beginning of this year, with all rosters and talent already considered, UT was at the bottom of the top 10. What gets you to rise as high as 1 and settle at 3? Your players and coaching staff stepping up. You seem to think that this year should have been a gimme for UT to take the MNC. You seem to forget that they played one of the hardest schedules in the league and got caught in a tie breaker with some of the best teams in the league. An arbitrary rule is what kept them out.

#37 ·
exlude said:
Well, at least he's getting to BCS bowls. As opposed to that amazing Arkansas SEC coaching that got you into any bowl game...oops.

At the beginning of this year, with all rosters and talent already considered, UT was at the bottom of the top 10. What gets you to rise as high as 1 and settle at 3? Your players and coaching staff stepping up. You seem to think that this year should have been a gimme for UT to take the MNC. You seem to forget that they played one of the hardest schedules in the league and got caught in a tie breaker with some of the best teams in the league. An arbitrary rule is what kept them out.
they shouldn't have lost to tech, it is clear they are a lot better than tech but had a bad game. Huston Nutt is going to the cotton bowl in 1st year with his new team that last year with the same roster was down right awful, so i think he is doing just fine. As for bobby "stay for a year" pertino he wants to run a pass offense with a team built to run, and we see how that turned out for him.

#38 ·
Cartman said:
they shouldn't have lost to tech, it is clear they are a lot better than tech but had a bad game. Huston Nutt is going to the cotton bowl in 1st year with his new team that last year with the same roster was down right awful, so i think he is doing just fine. As for bobby "stay for a year" pertino he wants to run a pass offense with a team built to run, and we see how that turned out for him.
In case you missed it, that super talented UT team this year was preseason pick 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 South this year. Give credit where it's due. Mack is doing just fine this season and in his career. Most likely, he's going to be the only guy to beat the national champion this year. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes and see what goes on outside the SEC.

#39 ·
Juiceweezl said:
In case you missed it, that super talented UT team this year was preseason pick 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 South this year. Give credit where it's due. Mack is doing just fine this season and in his career. Most likely, he's going to be the only guy to beat the national champion this year. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes and see what goes on outside the SEC.
He'll see it after the bowl games. If OU gets past UF, the SEC could get beat like a rented mule...

#40 ·
Juiceweezl said:
when is UT ever picked to finish ahead of Stoop's OU team? Not to mention that this year everybody was feeling Tech, and they almost called it right on that one. Texas started in the top 10 didn't they? They are now at 3rd, while mizzu turned out to be a bust, KU a bust, A&M a bust, NEB a bust, CU a bust, the only teams worth a flip were UT, OU, Tech, OSU(though I think OSU is still overrated) so to be picked to finish 3rd out 12 teams and one of those teams is OU is not a bad thing. That is like UA being picked to finish 3rd behind bama, UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, or the other UT team any given year.

Mack is the best recruiter and with the players he fields UT would have to throw away games to not win at least 9 games a season. As for coaching is average at best.

#41 ·
Vertnut said:
He'll see it after the bowl games. If OU gets past UF, the SEC could get beat like a rented mule...
why I think OU can beat UF, I hope UF wins but it won't be like the game vs Ohio st 2 yrs ago. I am curious to see the cotton bowl to see how bama does vs tech. :)

#42 ·
Cartman said:
when is UT ever picked to finish ahead of Stoop's OU team? Not to mention that this year everybody was feeling Tech, and they almost called it right on that one. Texas started in the top 10 didn't they? They are now at 3rd, while mizzu turned out to be a bust, KU a bust, A&M a bust, NEB a bust, CU a bust, the only teams worth a flip were UT, OU, Tech, OSU(though I think OSU is still overrated) so to be picked to finish 3rd out 12 teams and one of those teams is OU is not a bad thing. That is like UA being picked to finish 3rd behind bama, UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, or the other UT team any given year.

Mack is the best recruiter and with the players he fields UT would have to throw away games to not win at least 9 games a season. As for coaching is average at best.
They were picked 4th in the division, not the conference. As for all the talent he has, why is everyone saying that all the other schools have more talented receivers, RB's, etc.? You say Mack should have more than one title during that time. Well, say the same for a lot of other schools too. It's tough to win back to back or even 2 out of 3. The facts are that with a tiebreaker like every other conference, Mack would be playing for his second title in just a few years this season. Maybe it's not hatred you have for Brown, UT, and the Big 12. Maybe it's just jealousy.

#43 ·
Juiceweezl said:
They were picked 4th in the division, not the conference. As for all the talent he has, why is everyone saying that all the other schools have more talented receivers, RB's, etc.? You say Mack should have more than one title during that time. Well, say the same for a lot of other schools too. It's tough to win back to back or even 2 out of 3. The facts are that with a tiebreaker like every other conference, Mack would be playing for his second title in just a few years this season. Maybe it's not hatred you have for Brown, UT, and the Big 12. Maybe it's just jealousy.
I don't hate UT I root for them, though a lot of fans in here make it hard to make any arguement for them, the only time i root against UT is when they play UA, or any SEC team, besides bama, in a bowl game.

brown i don't care for, he should just let others coach for him and stay focused on recruiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.