DFW Mustang Forums banner

Fort Worth column praises OU, slams Texas / Mack argument - FWST

952 views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  screamin363 
#1 ·
Human element is a bug in BCS system

By GIL LeBRETON

In the eternal struggle of man versus machine, man failed miserably Sunday.
That’s not to say that the right team won’t be playing in the Big 12 Championship Game on Saturday. The Oklahoma Sooners argued their case eloquently.

They said nothing.

No rented planes circling over Austin. No phone-ins from Bob Stoops in the middle of Mack Brown’s Thanksgiving dinner.

Just football. Just a 61-41 victory in hostile environs over a No. 11-ranked archrival.
The Sooners’ decisive win Saturday over Oklahoma State was as significant a road victory as any team in the Big 12 Conference achieved this season.

There’s your tiebreaker.

As myopic Texas fans — and their head coach — conveniently decline to acknowledge, there was a three-way knot, not a two-team tie, atop the Big 12 South standings.

Why should a single game played Oct. 11 decide everything? Why not a game played Nov. 1?

Yet, over and over again over the past two weeks, Brown had filibustered for voters not to forget his Texas team’s October victory over the Sooners.

Never mind, he seemed to say, that just one week ago Oklahoma took apart a then-undefeated, No. 2-ranked Texas Tech team by 44 points — the same Tech team that beat Texas on Nov. 1.

Never mind that the Sooners’ season ledger included nonconference victories over TCU and BCS-bowl-bound Cincinnati.

Longhorns fans countered by trumpeting their Oct. 18 — what is it about October? — win over the Missouri Tigers.

Oh, right. The most overhyped team in the Country.

In the end, what could Brown have done for me?

He could have just shut up and allowed his team’s memorable 11-1 season do the talking for all of Longhorns, Inc.

Instead, Brown began to show up on TV more than that Geico lizard. The poor-taste clincher came Saturday night when he agreed to be interviewed in the middle of the Oklahoma-Oklahoma State telecast.

Why didn’t Oklahoma do that, Stoops was asked Sunday?

"I was asked to be on the Texas game Thursday," the OU coach said, "and I said no. I didn’t want to do it. I didn’t think it was right."

Stay classy, Austin, Stoops was saying, without mentioning any names.

But as Stoops and the Sooners saw, Brown’s politicking for his team worked. The Longhorns gained ground in both of the human polls.

Go figure. Texas, playing at home, defeated a vastly disappointing Texas A&M team 49-9 in a game that Colt McCoy was still quarterbacking in the fourth quarter.

Oklahoma, meanwhile, playing on the road, knocked off the No. 11 team in the nation — and yet lost ground in the human polls to the Texas poor-us campaign.

"It was the campaigning. I don’t think there’s any question," said Jerry Palm, whose CollegeBCS.com Web site is the bible for all things BCS.

For all the whining, in other words, about computers and formulas and BCS rules, the human element continues to be the bug in the equation. The same thing happened in 2004 when writers and coaches, after Brown again had politicked all week, leapfrogged Texas over Cal in the final poll and sent the Longhorns to the Rose Bowl.

Everyone seems to complain about the so-called "BCS computers," but as Stoops said, "They don’t have agendas. They don’t have loyalties. They don’t have opinions. They don’t have all the bias that everyone else does.

"And if you say no one else does, I don’t think you’re being truthful."

When the numbers were finally added, Stoops thinks that the strength of Oklahoma’s schedule likely was the determining factor that will send his team to Kansas City next weekend.

It’s probably not going to make TCU feel any better, but the Horned Frogs might well have sent the Sooners to the national championship game.

"For people to continue to want to play out-of-conference games that people want to watch and go to and be excited about," Stoops said, "there has to be an incentive. Otherwise, just schedule four wins and move on down the road. You could almost schedule a bowl game by that."

If Texas wants to blame anyone today, it needs to blame the guy that scheduled Florida Atlantic, UTEP, Arkansas and Rice. Similar cream-puff scheduling cost undefeated Auburn a title game shot in 2004.

This time, fortunately, the six BCS formula computers cut through the rhetoric.

They judged the football, not the filibuster. And Oklahoma came out the winner in more ways than one.

See less See more
#28 ·
Juiceweezl said:
Would all of the UT peeps please stop talking about Bradford and OU running up the score. Stoops and co. handled Bradford's PT and play calling just fine. The only thing I have issue with is not taking a knee Saturday night. Stoops never left Bradford in to continue tossing TD's downfield this year.

As for the column, I like the way it neglects the fact that immediately after the TT game, Stoops was on TV talking about forgiving Florida then you have to forgive us, blah, blah, blah. Then, on Monday morning he hit the ground running with Mike & Mike and other segments on ESPN and espn.com, even if it was replays of the interview from earlier. During that time, Mack Brown was nowhere to be seen. The network asked both coaches to appear via phone. One declined then, but obviously not earlier in the week. That's his decision. One declined earlier in the week but not later. THat's his decision. Neither coach should be at fault or called shameful/classless for speaking out for their team, not with the flawed system in place.

As for the person stating Mack did this previously and got into the Rose Bowl over Cal, I seem to remember Texas winning the Rose Bowl that year while Cal lost to TT. They got it right that year. This year, OU is certainly deserving, but I'm not so sure over UT. That discussion will be debated over and over. The only way to resolve it would be a Mizzou victory, which I don't see likely. Any other outcome, and the arguments will continue.

So, in summary: UT PEOPLE PLEASE STOP SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE AND COMPLAING ABOUT BRADFORD BEING LEFT IN DURING THE 4TH QUARTER.

wow.i am impressed with this post along with 99bringits post.

#29 ·
I have been thinking the same thing this columnist states in his article from day one that Mack started campaigning. Now granted I never heard any of the Stoops interviews, all I ever heard him say is that he wasn't going to be dragged in to this stuff, so I can't comment on what he said, but what I heard from Mack was whining and begging IMO. "lets not forget we beat OU head-to-head", yes you did but did you not lose later to TTU? "we lost on the last play", was you not getting beat the whole game until late in the fourth? "we had the lead before the last play". Isn't losing on the last play a loss just like if you got beat by forty??? At the time mack was interviewed via phone in the middle of the game i was thinking that was classless, at the time i didn't know stoops had declined to come on during the UT vs. A&M game, when I found out about that I couldn't help but think even less about mack. Now IMO you UT fans seem to think what mack was doing was right, that he was just stating his case, defending his team. there is a certain point that stating your point turns in to whining, and I think he crossed that line sat. now i know you UT fans aren't going to agree with me but maybe hearing it from one of your own like this columnist will kind of open your eyes to how we are seeing mack brown.

#30 ·
OkieJoe said:
I have been thinking the same thing this columnist states in his article from day one that Mack started campaigning. Now granted I never heard any of the Stoops interviews, all I ever heard him say is that he wasn't going to be dragged in to this stuff, so I can't comment on what he said, but what I heard from Mack was whining and begging IMO. "lets not forget we beat OU head-to-head", yes you did but did you not lose later to TTU? "we lost on the last play", was you not getting beat the whole game until late in the fourth? "we had the lead before the last play". Isn't losing on the last play a loss just like if you got beat by forty??? At the time mack was interviewed via phone in the middle of the game i was thinking that was classless, at the time i didn't know stoops had declined to come on during the UT vs. A&M game, when I found out about that I couldn't help but think even less about mack. Now IMO you UT fans seem to think what mack was doing was right, that he was just stating his case, defending his team. there is a certain point that stating your point turns in to whining, and I think he crossed that line sat. now i know you UT fans aren't going to agree with me but maybe hearing it from one of your own like this columnist will kind of open your eyes to how we are seeing mack brown.
For crying out lout people. Use your brain. Stoops was talking about it right after the TT game and then on Monday which was replayed Tuesday on ESPN and on the website. After that, he was done because his team had a game to prepare for. Do you think he wanted to provide locker room fodder for OSU lite's biggest game of the year? Mack stayed away from the media early in the week for the same reason. UT was 0-2 against aTm the last two seasons. All they needed was to see Mack on TV talking about UT going to the championship or MNC for a little motivation. Can't you people get anything through your heads without it being spelled out for you? They both campaigned at different times and at the best times for each of them. Jeez! Now please, let it go!!!

#31 ·
99BRINGIT said:
As a season ticket holder, they send us a request form for the number of tickets we want. Along with a request form for tickets to the Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Cotton Bowl. (Depending on which one Oklahaoma plays in)

I will be going to Kansas City, and Miami! :D

*I also think the OU/Missouri game will be much closer than everyone thinks. This game has been circled on Missouris schedule since last year. (payback to Oklahoma) Combined with Austin Box's injury, it could be Missouri attacking the middle of the field ala Texas all day long.
Let me see if I get all of this straight.

1) You're such a baller that you have season tickets and travel to road games.
2) You're paying some more cash to go to the Big 12 Championship and then to a bowl game.
3) You have enough cash to stay home and watch OU's games on DVR multiple times throughout the week.

So tell me this: If you have that much disposable cash sitting around, why the hell can't you get rid of those stupid flames on your car and buy some decent looking rims!

Edit: Don't be backing down now saying the game against Mizzou will be close, blah, blah, blah. All of you Okies have talked about how great your team is and how much better you are than UT, etc. Do not start talking about how Mizzou is a dangerous team, etc. now. I do not want to hear you talking out yet another side of your mouth.

#32 ·
Juiceweezl said:
For crying out lout people. Use your brain. Stoops was talking about it right after the TT game and then on Monday which was replayed Tuesday on ESPN and on the website. After that, he was done because his team had a game to prepare for. Do you think he wanted to provide locker room fodder for OSU lite's biggest game of the year? Mack stayed away from the media early in the week for the same reason. UT was 0-2 against aTm the last two seasons. All they needed was to see Mack on TV talking about UT going to the championship or MNC for a little motivation. Can't you people get anything through your heads without it being spelled out for you? They both campaigned at different times and at the best times for each of them. Jeez! Now please, let it go!!!
yea, the best time for Mack Brown was on national TV during the OU game I guess. I wonder what he was doing Monday morning or during his bye week? Give me a break, Mack Brown saw it as a great opportunity to try and steal the thunder from OU. I am betting it backfired by turning some voters off.

Go figure Stoops would state his case while jogging off the field after putting a royal ass whipping on the #2 team in the nation, that beat Texas. Why would you not bring that up immediately after the game? It isn't like anyone already forgot about it. Mack Brown felt desperate after the bye week, the hype that OU is going to jump him with a win, and with having to take a hit in SoS because of playing aTm. It was a desperate act that made him come off looking like a whiny bitch, worse that Stoops, I assure you that. Perception is reality.

#33 ·
Big Studly said:
yea, the best time for Mack Brown was on national TV during the OU game I guess. I wonder what he was doing Monday morning or during his bye week? Give me a break, Mack Brown saw it as a great opportunity to try and steal the thunder from OU. I am betting it backfired by turning some voters off.

Go figure Stoops would state his case while jogging off the field after putting a royal ass whipping on the #2 team in the nation, that beat Texas. Why would you not bring that up immediately after the game? It isn't like anyone already forgot about it. Mack Brown felt desperate after the bye week, the hype that OU is going to jump him with a win, and with having to take a hit in SoS because of playing aTm. It was a desperate act that made him come off looking like a whiny bitch, worse that Stoops, I assure you that. Perception is reality.
Are you really as stupid as everyone on here claims you are? Seriously? Let me see. It's Tuesday, 2 days before my team plays our biggest in state rival, a team that hangs its season success on beating us. We've lost to them the last 2 years, and I'm sure they'd love to see a newspaper headline that reads, "Mack Brown's Longhorns are ready for the Big 12 championship en route to Miami!" I'm thinking that ran through his mind.

You don't think that would end up on a locker room board? He didn't want to come out talking about it until his team took care of the first step -- beating Aggie. Stoops took the same logic. He got in a few whips early in the week in the lingering aftermath of the TT drubbing. Then, he went away before he ended up being motivation for OSU lite. Have you ever played or coached a sport? That crap happens all the time. Oh, and it backfired so much that ESPN's power rankings still have UT ahead of OU. Too bad the experts there don't get to weigh in on the polls.

Try this on for size. What if OU wins on the last play of the game to Mizzou. Anyone think some voters might decide that maybe UT was more deserving and flip the script? Obviously as we've seen, crazy stuff can happen. How comedic or poetic justice would that be?

#34 ·
Juiceweezl said:
Are you really as stupid as everyone on here claims you are? Seriously? Let me see. It's Tuesday, 2 days before my team plays our biggest in state rival, a team that hangs its season success on beating us. We've lost to them the last 2 years, and I'm sure they'd love to see a newspaper headline that reads, "Mack Brown's Longhorns are ready for the Big 12 championship en route to Miami!" I'm thinking that ran through his mind.

You don't think that would end up on a locker room board? He didn't want to come out talking about it until his team took care of the first step -- beating Aggie. Stoops took the same logic. He got in a few whips early in the week in the lingering aftermath of the TT drubbing. Then, he went away before he ended up being motivation for OSU lite. Have you ever played or coached a sport? That crap happens all the time. Oh, and it backfired so much that ESPN's power rankings still have UT ahead of OU. Too bad the experts there don't get to weigh in on the polls.

Try this on for size. What if OU wins on the last play of the game to Mizzou. Anyone think some voters might decide that maybe UT was more deserving and flip the script? Obviously as we've seen, crazy stuff can happen. How comedic or poetic justice would that be?
yea, you are right, Mack Brown probably didn't even know he was going on in the middle of the OU game. I am sure that never crossed his mind. I mean, hell, Saturday afternoon was WAYYYYY to early in the day to start whining, and hell, Friday he had to revel in his astounding close victory against hated rival Bay..I mean aTm. That, and there were probably no radio stations or TV stations on that day, being the day after Thanksgiving and all. You are a fucking joke. Have I ever played or coached a sport? What does that have to do with anything about Mack Browns piece of shit whining tactics? To answer your question though, yes, both, so fuck off. ESPN experts?? hahaha..anyone that employs Tony Kornheiser is not allowed to have experts. Besides, it doesn't matter if every poll in America has Texas above OU, there is only one poll that matters, and it is the one Texas came up short it.

#35 ·
[QUOTE=Juiceweezl

So tell me this: If you have that much disposable cash sitting around, why the hell can't you get rid of those stupid flames on your car and buy some decent looking rims!

what the hell does tylers car have to do with ou going to the big 12?let me guess,your car is alot nicer and better looking than his?one things for sure,he can get in said car and drive it to watch his fav team play in the big 12 and probably the natl champ.thats more than you can say.im tired of hearing your ricer excuses why you guys arent going to the big 12.hell,your worse than a ricer that got outrun.excuses excuses excuses.thats all i hear from ut fans.you guys have a team that deserves respect and its fans are bringing it down.sad and pathetic.

#37 · (Edited)
Juiceweezl said:
Let me see if I get all of this straight.

1) You're such a baller that you have season tickets and travel to road games.
2) You're paying some more cash to go to the Big 12 Championship and then to a bowl game.
3) You have enough cash to stay home and watch OU's games on DVR multiple times throughout the week.

Edit: Don't be backing down now saying the game against Mizzou will be close, blah, blah, blah. All of you Okies have talked about how great your team is and how much better you are than UT, etc. Do not start talking about how Mizzou is a dangerous team, etc. now. I do not want to hear you talking out yet another side of your mouth.
What the fuck is your problem? So, I'm an Oklahoma fan. Who cares. I went to school there, and my family has been season ticket holders since the early 60's. So, I grew up on Oklahoma football. Im not sure where "disposable cash," or "baller" comes into play in any of this either. I find a way to make it to all the game's because its something that I love to do. I enjoy spending the New Years with buddies from College going to bowl games. I'm just excited about the oppurtunity to not have to go to Tempe, AZ for a third straight year.

And the car? Are you fucking serious? Im not sure what my car has to do with anything, but I could give 2 shits about what you think. It sits in the garage under a cover, I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw it. Sorry that you dont approve.

And im glad that you dont agree with my assessment on whats going to happen in the game. I know how big of a loss Austin Box is, and what it means to this team. Missouri will have the ability to abuse the Oklahoma D up the middle of the field, with a slot reciever/Coffman. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma still wins, but its not going to be a 30-40 point victory. Something along the lines of 51-37

#40 ·
99BRINGIT said:
What the fuck is your problem? So, I'm an Oklahoma fan. Who cares. I went to school there, and my family has been season ticket holders since the early 60's. So, I grew up on Oklahoma football. Im not sure where "disposable cash," or "baller" comes into play in any of this either. I find a way to make it to all the game's because its something that I love to do. I enjoy spending the New Years with buddies from College going to bowl games. I'm just excited about the oppurtunity to not have to go to Tempe, AZ for a third straight year.

And the car? Are you fucking serious? Im not sure what my car has to do with anything, but I could give 2 shits about what you think. It sits in the garage under a cover, I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw it. Sorry that you dont approve.

And im glad that you dont agree with my assessment on whats going to happen in the game. I know how big of a loss Austin Box is, and what it means to this team. Missouri will have the ability to abuse the Oklahoma D up the middle of the field, with a slot reciever/Coffman. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma still wins, but its not going to be a 30-40 point victory. Something along the lines of 51-37
LOL, dude. I could give a rat's ass where your tickets come from or how much money you spend, etc. Honestly and seriously, I'm happy for you that you get to spend your time and money on something you enjoy -- and I mean that seriously in a thread full of fun and hating. I've had season tickets to different teams throughout my life and now split seasons up between sports and other items. My boys aren't of the age yet to get into serious travel to games, so I have to wait a few more years yet before we start hitting the road for football games. As for the car, to each his own. If you like it, fine. It's not for me, but I was more poking fun at the fact that no one can pay attention to your post because of the size of the sig. It's about as big as the gaping hole in the middle of the Sooner D!

#41 ·
Vertnut said:
Dig all you want. I already went to the stat site, and got those numbers from OU's info. :confused:
You whine to much, face it, Mack Brown would sell his mama to get into the NCG, he really does put his credibility on the line with his recruiting. His program was on the verge of passing Miami in the thug-U rankings recently. Look at the best UT players that have gone to the NFL, VY not even a factor in the success of Tenn this year(mental midget), Ricky Williams(pot head) biggest waste of talent to ever leave the Big 12, Benson(Alcohol King) if he isn't breaking and entering he is boozing it up like a moron. Mack recruits great talent but produces complete misfits for society in the process.

Bob Stoops is a class act compared to Mack Brown who is an athletic pimp at best. Mack takes young talent and ruins it off the field in less than 4 years.

#42 ·
Pro Trash said:
You whine to much, face it, Mack Brown would sell his mama to get into the NCG, he really does put his credibility on the line with his recruiting. His program was on the verge of passing Miami in the thug-U rankings recently. Look at the best UT players that have gone to the NFL, VY not even a factor in the success of Tenn this year(mental midget), Ricky Williams(pot head) biggest waste of talent to ever leave the Big 12, Benson(Alcohol King) if he isn't breaking and entering he is boozing it up like a moron. Mack recruits great talent but produces complete misfits for society in the process.

Bob Stoops is a class act compared to Mack Brown who is an athletic pimp at best. Mack takes young talent and ruins it off the field in less than 4 years.
You still here? How's the "next Baylor" looking next year? The only thing that would have been better Thursday night with that 40-point ass whipping, would have been for UT to tear off McGee's bad arm, and stick it up his taunting ass. He's had a great senior year, and it couldn't happen to a better guy.

Why don't you wait until your football program does something worth writing about, like in October...of 2012. You probably have some "vice-principaling" to do anyway. :cool:

#43 ·
Vertnut said:
You still here? How's the "next Baylor" looking next year? The only thing that would have been better Thursday night with that 40-point ass whipping, would have been for UT to tear off McGee's bad arm, and stick it up his taunting ass. He's had a great senior year, and it couldn't happen to a better guy.

Why don't you wait until your football program does something worth writing about, like in October...of 2012. You probably have some "vice-principaling" to do anyway. :cool:
LOL, good job at changing the subject. No one is questioning Sherman's character at this point, that will come in a few years. UT did put a whooping on my Aggies but the subject at hand is Stoops versus Browns credibility and class. Stoops took his team on the field and they made their statement the way it should have been made, by playing hard. I thought Brown might be running for Governor with all the media time he seemed to find. UT did Beat OU by 10 then UT beat A&M by 40 while OU beat A&M by 38 , UT beat OSU by 4 and OU beat OSU 20 , UT lost to TT by 6 and OU beat TT by 44, then there was Cinci and TCU on OU's schedule so OU is in my opinion the best one loss team in the Big 12, UT is a toss up with TT.

#45 ·
Juiceweezl said:
I could give a rat's ass where your tickets come from or how much money you spend
Then why the F did you bring it up? You literally just pulled it out of thin air as if it some part of this conversation. Just curious where it came from. In my 6+ years of posting here on DFW, I've never once brought up anything related to money/income. It just blows me away the number of people who post here and try to be pricks about everything. If you have a chip on the shoulder attitude about something, then fine...but dont try to pawn it off on me.

#46 ·
99BRINGIT said:
Then why the F did you bring it up? You literally just pulled it out of thin air as if it some part of this conversation. Just curious where it came from. In my 6+ years of posting here on DFW, I've never once brought up anything related to money/income. It just blows me away the number of people who post here and try to be pricks about everything. If you have a chip on the shoulder attitude about something, then fine...but dont try to pawn it off on me.
Woah, woah, woah. Easy there big fella'. I was joking about the fact that you spend money on all of those games (which I'm glad you are doing something you like) and yet you have some flame job that looks like stickers my 5 year old would play with and some Pep Boys rims. It was a joke. Seriously though, shrink the sig please!!!

#47 ·
Juiceweezl said:
Woah, woah, woah. Easy there big fella'. I was joking about the fact that you spend money on all of those games (which I'm glad you are doing something you like) and yet you have some flame job that looks like stickers my 5 year old would play with and some Pep Boys rims. It was a joke. Seriously though, shrink the sig please!!!
Why don't you turn them off, instead of blathering about the flames, wheels, and cost of tickets in every post? :confused: You're a little worked up... I think you "may" have a problem with the size of your penis. Good luck with it.

#48 ·
46Tbird said:
Why don't you turn them off, instead of blathering about the flames, wheels, and cost of tickets in every post? :confused: You're a little worked up... I think you "may" have a problem with the size of your penis. Good luck with it.
MMMMMMKKKKKKAAAAAYYYYY!!!! I make one post joking about his car, and you post this? Sounds like someone has an infatuation with cock! Stay away ****!

#49 ·
Juiceweezl said:
and yet you have some flame job that looks like stickers my 5 year old would play with and some Pep Boys rims.
I can respect your opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Its crazy how many positive comments I get from people/judges every year at Fun Ford, World Ford Challenge, Shelby-Mid America on the paint work of the flames. MM&FF, 5.0 Mustangs, Mustang Entuisaist, and Nitto seem to think they're pretty nice as well. So, tell your 5 year old to keep it up. He might be onto something.

As for the wheels, I dont know what to tell you. I've had 8-10 different sets on that car, including every mustang wheel Ford offers.... Pep Boys will have to step up to the plate, if they want to offer those wheels in any of their stores, but if you'll let me know...I can get them in touch with the guy that makes them. Maybe they can work something out.

I changed my signature up, just for you!!!!

#50 ·
99BRINGIT said:
I can respect your opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Its crazy how many positive comments I get from people/judges every year at Fun Ford, World Ford Challenge, Shelby-Mid America on the paint work of the flames. MM&FF, 5.0 Mustangs, Mustang Entuisaist, and Nitto seem to think they're pretty nice as well. So, tell your 5 year old to keep it up. He might be onto something.

As for the wheels, I dont know what to tell you. I've had 8-10 different sets on that car, including every mustang wheel Ford offers.... Pep Boys will have to step up to the plate, if they want to offer those wheels in any of their stores, but if you'll let me know...I can get them in touch with the guy that makes them. Maybe they can work something out.

classic

#51 ·
99BRINGIT said:

Now that is a) being a good sport, b) responding to the public's request, and c) actually makes the car look a lot better, flames included even with that hideous truck in the back :D Maybe it's just because it was so big that made it seem so bad. In all seriousness, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.