DFW Mustang Forums banner

All of you OU nut swingers....

2K views 177 replies 34 participants last post by  stock85 
#1 ·
Check out this little article and see what you think about your "Strength of Schedule" arguement. Null and void. Thanks for playing.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

Strength of schedule
Oklahoma: Two of Oklahoma's 10 victories came against two of the worst teams in college football. The Sooners beat Chattanooga (a 1-11 FCS program) in their Aug. 30 opener and also defeated Washington, which just lost to Washington State to fall to 0-11. Oklahoma didn't play Big 12 North champion Missouri during conference play. The Sooners' 11 opponents have a combined record of 66-58.

Texas: The Longhorns didn't play an FCS opponent and beat UTEP 42-13 on the road. They also beat defending Sun Belt champion Florida Atlantic 52-10 and Rice 52-10. The Owls are 8-3 and are still in contention to play for the Conference USA championship. Texas beat an SEC opponent, Arkansas, 52-10. The Longhorns' 11 opponents have a combined record of 79-54.

Texas Tech: The Red Raiders had no margin for error because they played two FCS opponents, beating Eastern Washington 49-24 and Massachusetts 56-14. Texas Tech's 11 opponents have a combined record of 71-52.

Advantage: Texas. (No FCS opponents were on the schedule, and it played Missouri.)

#3 ·
94StangFiveO said:
Check out this little article and see what you think about your "Strength of Schedule" arguement. Null and void. Thanks for playing.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

Your point? It's going to happen, get over it. :p

"Advantage: Texas. (No FCS opponents were on the schedule, and it played Missouri.)

Oklahoma is the hot team as the regular season comes to an end. But Texas is a better team.

The Longhorns have already proved it on the field. "

That article has no bias whatsoever. :rolleyes: And that last statement is what is why we need a playoff system. TX is not a better team right now, IMO. Only way to prove it is to have another game. There could be one, if there was a playoff system.

#4 ·
bcoop said:

"Advantage: Texas. (No FCS opponents were on the schedule, and it played Missouri.)

Oklahoma is the hot team as the regular season comes to an end. But Texas is a better team.

That article has no bias whatsoever. :rolleyes: And that last statement is what is why we need a playoff system. TX is not a better team right now, IMO. Only way to prove it is to have another game. There could be one, if there was a playoff system.
I'd love to see a some playoff games between these teams with the 3-way tie on a neutral field. You get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place real quick then just send #1 in for the Championship. Makes sense to me

#5 ·
bcoop said:

Biased? By stating the obvious? If OU was the better team they would've won the game. Nonetheless, it is a prime example of why there needs to be some sort of a playoff.

#6 ·
bcoop said:
And that last statement is what is why we need a playoff system. TX is not a better team right now, IMO. Only way to prove it is to have another game. There could be one, if there was a playoff system.

But if there were playoffs, then the Red River Rivalry would be diminished :rolleyes: http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376564

#10 ·
94StangFiveO said:
Biased? By stating the obvious? If OU was the better team they would've won the game. Nonetheless, it is a prime example of why there needs to be some sort of a playoff.

You're 100% right. Teams never have off games. They don't get better or worse as a season progresses, either. :rolleyes:

That is just plain ignorant. UT was better THAT DAY. That doesn't make them a better team. It makes them a better team THAT DAY.

#12 ·
bcoop said:
You're 100% right. Teams never have off games. They don't get better or worse as a season progresses, either. :rolleyes:

That is just plain ignorant. UT was better THAT DAY. That doesn't make them a better team. It makes them a better team THAT DAY.
OK, let's just put an asterik next to the win for UT, I guess they got lucky. :rolleyes:

Please, luck only happens horseshoes.

#13 ·
94StangFiveO said:
OK, let's just put an asterik next to the win for UT, I guess they got lucky. :rolleyes:

Please, luck only happens horseshoes.

Did I say it was luck? If you're going to try and converse with me, you need an IQ higher than that of a wet fart.

So, you're telling me that teams never get better or worse as the season progresses? I'm just trying to clarify here, before you look stupid.

#14 ·
bcoop said:
Did I say it was luck? If you're going to try and converse with me, you need an IQ higher than that of a wet fart.

So, you're telling me that teams never get better or worse as the season progresses? I'm just trying to clarify here, before you look stupid.

TRUE, but ou was blowing teams out before ut and they're doing it afterwards. Looks the same to me.

#15 ·
bcoop said:

Where did I say that? All I said was if OU was the better team, they would've won. That's pretty much the end of it so I don't why you're trying to drag something out because you disagree. Get over it, they lost. They're not the better team.

#17 ·
94StangFiveO said:
Where did I say that? All I said was if OU was the better team, they would've won. That's pretty much the end of it so I don't why you're trying to drag something out because you disagree. Get over it, they lost. They're not the better team.

Jesus Christ, you just don't fucking get it, do you? You're completely dismissing the fact that teams get better/worse throughout the season. If you can't understand that, nothing I can do can improve your IQ.

#25 ·
bcoop said:
Seriously? You hit a slump when historically big playmakers go down to an injury, and their backup isn't half the player they were.....
If that's your argument then you should have lost the rest of your games because I'm pretty sure Reynolds has not returned.

Come on dude, you're one of the smarter and more logical guys on here. Using the "Team X is better right now" argument just doesn't work when the teams have already played. If that were the case, then every game ever played could have an asterisk because the team that won was only better that day, not necessarily better overall.

Bottom line is, the two teams played at a neutral site, and one team came out a double digit winner. If the roles were reversed, and it was OU who won and Texas was the "hot" team now, you'd be saying the same thing. The whole reason for a playoff was so teams could decide it on the field instead of through votes and rankings. Well guess what, Texas-OU WAS decided on the field.

#26 ·
Every team has their good days and bad days. We had chances to win several times in the UT game, but we didn't...no argument there from me. That doesn't mean it would be the same if we met again. If you all would be honest there's no way you would want UT playing the team OU had on the field Saturday.....that was a nearly perfect performance. We'll see how it all plays out, all we (and TX) can do is win next week and see how it all sorts out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.