DFW Mustang Forums banner

UT Strikes deal with Muschamp, to take over when Brown Retires

901 views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Cartman 
#1 ·
As much as it pains me to say this, good for them. He's a hell of a coach. He's going to give the rest of the Big XXII fits for years to come.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

See less See more
#2 ·
bcoop said:
As much as it pains me to say this, good for them. He's a hell of a coach. He's going to give the rest of the Big XXII fits for years to come.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

damn, good job Dodds

#9 ·
revoautowerks said:
He will never be the head coach at UT unless Mack hangs it up in the next year or so and I don't see that happening. This contract will be bought out and he will be a head coach in the SEC in no time.
I'm betting Mack is in on this deal, too. UT is a dream job, like USC, OU, and a few others. He's not going anywhere.

#10 ·
Vertnut said:
I'm betting Mack is in on this deal, too. UT is a dream job, like USC, OU, and a few others. He's not going anywhere.
Pray to god Mark Richt keeps his job at UGA for the next few years, or even Tuberville at Auburn.......UT is a "dream job" for most, but when you played at UGA and coached in the SEC for that long, the temptation will be there. And everyone always said Notre Dame was a "dream job" as well.

#11 ·
Cartman said:
sure if mack brown retires in the next 2 yrs if not another school will offer him the job, and more money
Why take over a shit program like Arkansas or Clemson for more money when you can take over the legacy that is Texas? I'm sure most coaches would rather wait it out while making $900k than go to a dead end program to make a couple mil only to be fired in 3 years after a few mediocre seasons.

This situation works for all parties involved for so many reasons: There will never be any coaching controversy when Mack announces he's thinking about stepping down, there will be no "rebuilding" period when the new coach takes over, no recruits breaking commitments because Mack stepped down and the new coach is unknown, etc.

Quote from Muschamp:

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I was would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time."

Sounds like he's here to stay.

#12 ·
Muschamp is the real deal.. but i can see Mack coaching for at least 3-5 more years.

Muschamp will get a big contract offer from some SEC school and will probably leave unless Mack is thinking of retiring after next season.

#13 ·
This "head coach in waiting" is bullshit. Both in this situation and in the Cowboys situation with Garrett. It leads to no good.

This is just a "title" to be able to hold on to a damn good assistant coach for the foreseeable future, which is generally two to three years. It's also an excuse for a raise of one assistant so other assistant coaches can't rightfully bitch about it.

I just don't see Mack retiring any time soon. Not soon enough for Muschamp to have to consider "how much longer" like he'll be forced to in 3-4 years.

#14 ·
ZYouL8R said:
Why take over a shit program like Arkansas or Clemson for more money when you can take over the legacy that is Texas? I'm sure most coaches would rather wait it out while making $900k than go to a dead end program to make a couple mil only to be fired in 3 years after a few mediocre seasons.

This situation works for all parties involved for so many reasons: There will never be any coaching controversy when Mack announces he's thinking about stepping down, there will be no "rebuilding" period when the new coach takes over, no recruits breaking commitments because Mack stepped down and the new coach is unknown, etc.

Quote from Muschamp:

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I was would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time."

Sounds like he's here to stay.
that sounds like any coach that has been hired with a multi year contract...lol.

if muschamp get a shot to coach auburn, UGA, USC, OU, and yes even ark and it has been more than 2 yrs after this deal and mack shows no sign of stepping down, don't be surprised when he jumps to another school to be the Head coach and not a head coach in waiting.

as the person that says ark is such a shit job, why do they have no trouble landing a big name coach? They are just as rich in history as UT, I am not sure of the total amount of titles by each school but i know they are close to each other.

#15 ·
bert89coupe said:
says the arkansas fan. Like Dodds can't offer more money lol
Ark can offer more money than UT can, but that is neither here nor there. I am just saying being a head coach is better than being a head coach in waiting.

also what i find funny is mack hasn't done shit, that is without having to go the sec to find some coaching help :p

#16 ·
Cartman said:
Ark can offer more money than UT can, but that is neither here nor there. I am just saying being a head coach is better than being a head coach in waiting.

also what i find funny is mack hasn't done shit, that is without having to go the sec to find some coaching help :p

the little sec is like UT's farm system. and he ain't going nowhere, EVERYBODY that's not a ut fan apparently wants him to go elsewhere though lol

#17 ·
Cartman said:
that sounds like any coach that has been hired with a multi year contract...lol.

if muschamp get a shot to coach auburn, UGA, USC, OU, and yes even ark and it has been more than 2 yrs after this deal and mack shows no sign of stepping down, don't be surprised when he jumps to another school to be the Head coach and not a head coach in waiting.

as the person that says ark is such a shit job, why do they have no trouble landing a big name coach? They are just as rich in history as UT, I am not sure of the total amount of titles by each school but i know they are close to each other.
I'm really not worried about 2 years from now. I know something like this had to happen to keep him around longer than a year. With all the big-name job openings this year (Clemson, Tenn, Wash, possibly Aub) this assures he at least won't jet this winter.

#18 ·
bert89coupe said:
the little sec is like UT's farm system. and he ain't going nowhere, EVERYBODY that's not a ut fan apparently wants him to go elsewhere though lol
so you admit mack brown can't coach for shit with out a coach from the sec helping him out :D

#20 · (Edited)
his wife has said to love Austin so much that if he took another job she would stay there. He's stayin in Austin!

Texas has one of the richest athletic dept in the nation, Ark outbidding UT........please. Take away Phil Knight from Oregon and Boone Pickens from Ok St. they might be number 1.

#23 ·
YoBro said:
If he does leave for another school they will anoint Major :)
He leaves before Muschamp.

#24 ·
Badass2000gt said:
Thats why mack brown has a national title under his belt without him. But good call on that one. :rolleyes:
but who was the d cordinator during the title run? and where did mack get him from? LOL

#25 ·
RJDCobra said:
his wife has said to love Austin so much that if he took another job she would stay there. He's stayin in Austin!

Texas has one of the richest athletic dept in the nation, Ark outbidding UT........please. Take away Phil Knight from Oregon and Boone Pickens from Ok St. they might be number 1.
ark can out bid most schools, due to alums who throw money on the side. ask your fellow UT fans and they will agree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.