DFW Mustang Forums banner

Carl Yastrzemski

354 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Vertnut 
#1 ·
Yaz was rushed to the Hospital in Boston today with chest pains. No word on his condition beyond that at this point. For those of you too young to know, he was one of the all time great MLB players. I always hated the Red Sox but loved watching him play as a kid. He has kept a pretty low profile in retirement. Obviously, he is in the Hall Of Fame.

#2 ·
FWT03Term said:
Yaz was rushed to the Hospital in Boston today with chest pains. No word on his condition beyond that at this point. For those of you too young to know, he was one of the all time great MLB players. I always hated the Red Sox but loved watching him play as a kid. He has kept a pretty low profile in retirement. Obviously, he is in the Hall Of Fame.
1967 Triple Crown winner. Took over for the GREAT Ted Williams in left field in '61. Ted had won 2 triple crowns himself ('42 and '47, I think). Yaz played for the same team for well over 20 years, like Williams did. I was born during Ted Williams last season ('60), so I didn't get to see him play other than highlight films. I do remember Yaz quite well. What a legacy...

#3 ·
Vertnut said:
1967 Triple Crown winner. Took over for the GREAT Ted Williams in left field in '61. Ted had won 2 triple crowns himself ('42 and '47, I think). Yaz played for the same team for well over 20 years, like Williams did. I was born during Ted Williams last season ('60), so I didn't get to see him play other than highlight films. I do remember Yaz quite well. What a legacy...
I guess it's just us old guys that know or remember how great players like Yaz really were. As an example of how much things have changed since my youth, I remember Yaz always smoking cigarettes in the dugout :eek: Aside from that, Yaz was a man's man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.