DFW Mustang Forums banner

How much power is too much for a 12W7...

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jakesford 
#1 ·
So I found me a brand new PG Ti1200.1. Specs at 1477 watts at 2 ohms RMS. Granted, I will never play it that loud, but I wanted to know what the limit really was. I had another one of these amps on a 12W7 in my TL, and I never had any problems with it, but back then I thought these speakers wanted 1000 RMS, and now I read 750? WTF one is it? are the new 12W7s jankier than the original ones from 3-5 years ago? :confused:

I just want to make sure this amp won't fry the V/C... I figure at a 3 ohm load it will have an honest 900-1000 RMS... Surely the sub should be ok with that right? This amp specs about 50 watts more than my other one (~1420ish) but still want to make sure its all good. I know I can turn the gain down, but I want to know how hard I can blast it without fear of blowing the sub up. I've done this to a 12W6v2 before with a different amp, and it sounds terrble when it breaks the V/C

#3 ·
Look at the birth certificate, I believe PG bench test at 14.4V power and an 8V input signal.

Is this for the VDUB? measure the voltage with the car running, also what input source - factory deck with RCA adaptor?

We need the rest of the info :)

I think you would be fine anyway, just set the gains / crossovers correct. You know how to do this shit!!!

#6 ·
Got Stripes? said:
Look at the birth certificate, I believe PG bench test at 14.4V power and an 8V input signal.

Is this for the VDUB? measure the voltage with the car running, also what input source - factory deck with RCA adaptor?

We need the rest of the info :)

I think you would be fine anyway, just set the gains / crossovers correct. You know how to do this shit!!!
Yea yea, me knows, Im just scurred after my Frank amp toasting the 12W6... you remember that. :mad: Luckily PG says it wasn't right and I got a new sub out of the deal, I was just without bumps for like 6 weeks. Went and bought another 12W3 from Joe to tide me over... still have that sub too which works great.

This will be going in my Cobra, I am pulling the rear amp tray out and flushing the sub under there. It will stick out a bit, but not oo much, about 3 inches or so.

The deck is my IVA-W200, its a 2 volt deck, but I have a PXA-H700 processor which is an old school "true 4 volt Alpine" input (which we really know is about 2.8 lolz).

Yes the cert said 1477 watts @ 192 amps, 14.01 volts, and I didn't see input voltage, you are prob right, it is more than likely like 8 volts... If that is all true, than in a normal setup like mine, Ill prob only see about 700 rms at 3 ohms, which will be perfect according to JL. :eek:

If it works well, when I get the Focals in it, I am adding my other 12W7 and 1200.1 out of my TL, so twin 12W7s should sound good in there, even though my trunk will be gone. I am hoping one has enough bass, if so, I'll put the other one in the GTI later.

#8 ·
how does input voltage effect the max power of an amp? all you would have to do is turn up the gain to compensate for the weaker signal??

if not please enlighten me

#10 ·
NeedleSharp said:
how does input voltage effect the max power of an amp? all you would have to do is turn up the gain to compensate for the weaker signal??

if not please enlighten me
You are correct, and that's why actually setting the gains with a test signal and voltage meter/oscilloscope is proper procedure. It's people that treat the gain setting as a "volume knob" that blow speakers. They buy the wrong/cheap equipment for their goals, so they crank the gain up to get more output, but just end up with clipping and a torn cone or fried voice coil. :eek:

The key is having overhead when it comes to amp power. Its better to have some room to work with and setting your gains correctly for the speaker(s) that you are powering. Also, higher quality amps generally can be pushed much closer to their max rating and still provide a clean signal so it can be balancing act of budget / power rating / quality :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.