DFW Mustang Forums banner

What could Satan possibly think...

2K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  flashstang04 
#1 · (Edited)
... that he could accomplish? If he even exists, that is. Just for the sake of this argument say that he does. So you have a guy, this being. His name was Lucifer the angel. One has to assume that since he was in heaven before he got thrown out, that he was in the presence of god all the freaking time. And even if he wasnt, he most assuredly belived that god existed and was a lot more powerful than he was. Now, knowing this, what could he have hoped to do? I mean wouldnt he have known that he was only going to be thrown out and fail to accomplish his goal? It says he wanted to be "like god" whatever that is supposed to mean. I guess it means he wanted to know everything. (which would mean that all the power is just the control of information, that one being has).

So why try? Why not at least get to stay where he was and not get thrown out of his home? And why is he so powerful? It would seem that maybe in some way, he nearly accomplished his goal. Even still, it seems that he at the very least thinks he can win. (what with the supposed coming of the anti christ and all) What does he know? Why would he think that if he indeed knew that god was all powerful and could never be proven wrong, or be defeated?

And no, i am not a damn devil worshiper. this is just something that has crossed my mind having heard the story.

See less See more
#27 ·
Not that I believe in heaven and hell, but theoretically(sp?)...what if the "war" between heaven and hell is not a war at all, at least not as we see it. What if those places are just the embodiment of good and bad? Be good, whatever that means, and you go to heaven to be happy for eternity. Be bad, whatever that means, and go to hell, and suffer for eternity.

Just a thought. For every positive, there is a negative which maintains universal equilibrium.

#28 ·
poopnut2 said:
Not that I believe in heaven and hell, but theoretically(sp?)...what if the "war" between heaven and hell is not a war at all, at least not as we see it. What if those places are just the embodiment of good and bad? Be good, whatever that means, and you go to heaven to be happy for eternity. Be bad, whatever that means, and go to hell, and suffer for eternity.

Just a thought. For every positive, there is a negative which maintains universal equilibrium.

I think that most would agree with you on that. The war is not between Heaven and hell per se', it is between the "controlling" forces of each.

#31 ·
Not that i do or do not believe in heaven and hell. Because i dont know where to go with my beliefs but i wonder...If god did create this world and us humans maybe he left us to destroy ourselves because we are a failed race? Maybe he's moved on to a smarter/stronger race or experiment? Call me Crazy but maybe there is something small that we don't know about or can't see. Maybe we never will. Ahhhh What do i know? Carry on...

#33 ·
GSXRK5 said:
Call me Crazy but maybe there is something small that we don't know about or can't see.

Oh, im willing to bet that is the case. Whatever the hell it may be.

#35 ·
FSON said:
Did the Catholic Church get Satan wrong?
If so, what is Satan's real role?
It is a gnostic holdover that serves as a "bookmark" or a dichotomy for an ethereal creator; It is one way to answer the question of Good and Evil. There is a natural evolution of the concept in the Hebrew tradition so it was a natural fit. The planes of heaven and hell as physical entities are a side branch to this.

Another early Christian philosophy assigned a supreme God higher in the ethos than the god of material creation. The question of Good and Evil became one of spiritual and material. Hence many of the ascetics, and especially neo-platonist philosophers (imagine John the Baptist). Disdain for the material makes you closer to the supreme good God and removes the influence of the God of law, the Demiurge. No satan required.

#36 ·
Casper said:
It is a gnostic holdover that serves as a "bookmark" or a dichotomy for an ethereal creator; It is one way to answer the question of Good and Evil. There is a natural evolution of the concept in the Hebrew tradition so it was a natural fit. The planes of heaven and hell as physical entities are a side branch to this.

Another early Christian philosophy assigned a supreme God higher in the ethos than the god of material creation. The question of Good and Evil became one of spiritual and material. Hence many of the ascetics, and especially neo-platonist philosophers (imagine John the Baptist). Disdain for the material makes you closer to the supreme good God and removes the influence of the God of law, the Demiurge. No satan required.
Did the concept of Good/Evil devolve from Spirit/Material by a lack or loss of understanding or education in these matters?

#37 ·
poopnut2 said:

The "war" you speak of is more against ourselves than is between "good" and "evil", at least that is how I precieve it. As Christians, we are no longer sinners, but that doesn't mean we do not sin or immune to sin. The battle is against sin, not sinners. Chrisians should love the sinner, not the sin.

Heaven and hell is about who has accepted Christ and who has not.

#38 ·
These are all good answers, but it still leaves the question unanswered, really. The bible says that there will be some type of final battle. Well, the fact that there will even be a battle at all tells us that satan at least thinks that he can win. Why would he ever think that? Especially given his old job, before he was fired. Maybe he knows something that we are not told? I mean i am sure he knows a lot that we are not told, but in regards to him being able to take control. Who would fight if they knew they had zero possibility of success? Especially knowing what the price was going to be for their lack of success? Seems more likely he would just stop what he was doing wrong and ask for forgiveness.

#39 ·
justinsn95 said:
These are all good answers, but it still leaves the question unanswered, really. The bible says that there will be some type of final battle. Well, the fact that there will even be a battle at all tells us that satan at least thinks that he can win. Why would he ever think that? Especially given his old job, before he was fired. Maybe he knows something that we are not told? I mean i am sure he knows a lot that we are not told, but in regards to him being able to take control. Who would fight if they knew they had zero possibility of success? Especially knowing what the price was going to be for their lack of success? Seems more likely he would just stop what he was doing wrong and ask for forgiveness.

First, let me say that I do not advocate one religion over another. I've yet to answer my own questions about God/Gods vs our existence. Anyway, one thing I've found that helps is try to avoid taking every single religious writing so literally. Not every verse scribed is meant to say "it will happen this way; for it is set in stone; book it".
:cool:

#40 ·
Bobba Fett said:
The "war" you speak of is more against ourselves than is between "good" and "evil", at least that is how I precieve it. As Christians, we are no longer sinners, but that doesn't mean we do not sin or immune to sin. The battle is against sin, not sinners. Chrisians should love the sinner, not the sin.

Wow. I must have missed this, but this is a GREAT post! Cool points awarded to the bounty hunter!

#41 ·
Bobba Fett said:

So as long as he is accepted, that person will not go to hell? I was raised in one of those churches where everyone is going to hell, and there is like a .0001% chance of getting into heaven.

#44 ·
Brain_Mach1 said:
Or Jehovah's Witnesses? Don't they believe only 60,000 people will go to heaven?
HA! If they said that in a sermon i would have to just laugh all the way out the door.
Yes i was raised C.o.C for 15 years thats why i asked what yall thought of them. I was curious what outside opinions would be. Unfortunatly, i cant be anymore. I can not agree with some of the things they teach.

#45 ·
Brain_Mach1 said:
Or Jehovah's Witnesses? Don't they believe only 60,000 people will go to heaven?

No they started out believing that only 144,000 would go to heaven. When the church grew to more than that they had to change the doctrine because what was once the "catch" to get people into the church suddenly became something that was preventing them from massive financial gain.

#46 ·
justinsn95 said:
So as long as he is accepted, that person will not go to hell? I was raised in one of those churches where everyone is going to hell, and there is like a .0001% chance of getting into heaven.
Correct.

I was also raised in that type of Church. It hurt my faith as a child. It wasn't until many years later when I started attending a non-denominational church, that I considered myself a Christian. It encouraged me to really READ the bible and to deepen my faith, and to find what Christianity was all about.

#47 ·
Bobba Fett said:
Correct.

I was also raised in that type of Church. It hurt my faith as a child. It wasn't until many years later when I started attending a non-denominational church, that I considered myself a Christian. It encouraged me to really READ the bible and to deepen my faith, and to find what Christianity was all about.

X2 exactly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.